ISU announces 'ISU Skating Awards' | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ISU announces 'ISU Skating Awards'

yude

Record Breaker
I really don't want this and prefer traditional Gala. I wish they could spend more time and money for other issues.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just what skating needs, a subjective popularity contest. There are already plenty of people in the general public that don't consider skating a sport, and this certainly won't help.

Doesn't EVERY sport need a Prettiest Outfit award?

"Hey, Tom Brady! You may have six Super Bowl rings, but those shoulder pads ruin the lines of your jersey! Looooser!"

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

"Hey, Tom Brady! You may have six Super Bowl rings, but those shoulder pads ruin the lines of your jersey! Looooser!"

Urrrk.... for a moment, floating as I am, I thought you wrote "Doesn't EVERY sport need a Prettiest award?"

Now that, I'd be in... :laugh2:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Urrrk.... for a moment, floating as I am, I thought you wrote "Doesn't EVERY sport need a Prettiest award?"

Now that, I'd be in... :laugh2:

LOL!

The award for Prettiest Figure Skater was retired when Alisa Agafanova retired.

As a breed, ice dancers are ridiculously good looking. But she outshone them all. An absolutely stunning woman.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
LOL!

The award for Prettiest Figure Skater was retired when Alisa Agafanova retired.

As a breed, ice dancers are ridiculously good looking. But she outshone them all. An absolutely stunning woman.

Hey, it's a public vote. The public would promptly horrify the living daylights out of ISU by voting Yuzuru in by a landslide, and that would be the end of any 'awards' talk pretty much forever :rofl:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey, it's a public vote. The public would promptly horrify the living daylights out of ISU by voting Yuzuru in by a landslide, and that would be the end of any 'awards' talk pretty much forever :rofl:

Really, I wouldn't trust the public to vote for Prettiest Skater. And I certainly wouldn't trust the ISU judges or national federations. They're all wicked and would make an unwise decision in the name of politics.

If we must have one now that Alisa should rightfully have retired the crown, the only sensible solution is to let me choose.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Have you seen the ESPYs? :laugh:And have you seen NFL fans wax rhapsodic on Twitter and fora as to whether Kelly Green or Midnight Green is a better look for the Eagles?

Not to mention, skating actually is judged on presentation? ;)

Best costume sounds like a great category to me:thumbsup:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have you seen the ESPYs? :laugh:And have you seen NFL fans wax rhapsodic on Twitter and fora as to whether Kelly Green or Midnight Green is a better look for the Eagles?

Not to mention, skating actually is judged on presentation? ;)

Best costume sounds like a great category to me:thumbsup:

My goodness, keep up, El.

We've moved on to Prettiest Skater.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My goodness, keep up, El.

We've moved on to Prettiest Skater.

:laugh: it’s hard to keep up with you, Tonto.

But now I have read the other posts, and I appoint you sole judge and jury:thumbsup: as long as, now that Alisa is retired,
you vote for Madison Chock. I usually am not impressed by looks one way or the other, but she is simply stunning. :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: it’s hard to keep up with you, Tonto.

But now I have read the other posts, and I appoint you sole judge and jury:thumbsup: as long as, now that Alisa is retired,
you vote for Madison Chock. I usually am not impressed by looks one way or the other, but she is simply stunning. :)

So long as you're not a skater, dear friend, and would therefore be ineligible...

I crown Madison Chock as Prettiest Skater.

And please, for the sake of board harmony, I expect everyone to accept my decision with grace, and not complain that your ugly favorite was not chosen.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, in Australia they're called the Brownlows and they're an even bigger joke than the Logies, which is really saying something.

But the Brownlow and the Dally Ms are at least awarded based on something quantifiable, generally. For example, my skipper has been to the Dally Ms five times already during his career to collect the Most Points In A Season award - a logical award with a quantifiable basis that cannot be manipulated. And at the Dally Ms - I don't know about the Brownlow - there's not a public vote. It's all by judges and yes, that means bias, but it also makes it harder to rig.

The fact that there will be public voting in this will make it a disaster. Can you even begin to imagine?

I know the ISU is mostly boomer-types but is there really no-one within the ISU who has any idea about how toxic and insane the fandom already is and could have said "uh, adding this to the mix is NOT GOING TO HELP?"

ruga

Final Flight
Yes the dress contest will certainly make this sport seem less like a beauty pageant. And yes letting 6 people decide on subjective categories won't make fans angry. Just what we all have wanted since the beginning of time.

Cyt150

Rinkside
Country
Singapore
The new thing is not good. Just give me the traditional Gala
I love to watch them

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I´ve just read the news and my conclusion is that we have some hidden ISU member along our posters (it surely must be the ISU president himself) who liked the Golden Skate Accolades which we started running last season and decided to whisper this idea to his ISU folks :)

medoroa

On the Ice
I like it!

Except if only medalists are invited and the results are by popular vote. Then I'll ignore the entire thing since it'll be a repeat of the endless fan wars over silly twitter polls, and I think we can all agree we already have enough of those without ISU's help.

NaVi

Medalist
The categories are:

• Most Valuable Skater: Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who best managed to increase the level of popularity of Figure Skating related to the fan base involvement, media attention and sponsors appreciation
  • Best Costume: Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple presenting a costume reflecting creativity, contemporary implementation, fashion, style and originality
  • Most Entertaining Program: Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple for the music selection, expression, creativity, contemporary implementation, originality and overall performance
  • Best Newcomer: Honors a young talented Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple competing very successfully in ISU Events on the Senior level for the first season
  • Best Choreographer: Honors the choreographic work of a Choreographer who successfully inspired one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples
  • Best Coach: Honors a Coach who delivered professional and efficient work and achieved outstanding results with one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples
  • Lifetime Achievement Award: Honors a Figure Skating legend having achieved great success and popularity and is considered as a role model in the Figure Skating World.

What are your thoughts?

This is like my 3rd comment here... this has been Ari Zakarian's idea for a few years and I've always thought it was a bad idea... but I'm willing to give it a hearing.

I think the big missed opportunity here is to not make the exhibitions the center of the awards... one for each category... and let the winners skate in the Worlds gala regardless of their placements there. I'd make them the only rewards with a monetary reward.

I'd also have tonge and cheek awards like best meltdown, best fan sign, or whatever... but I'd also allow skaters to opt out of them if they'd find them embarrassing.

The whole public voting thing is not going to work either. Just open the voting to former worlds competitors or to the skaters at the synchro world championships(this may seem like a weird suggestion, but it'd be a large sample for those interested in skating).

Someone at FSU said that "celebrities" might be invited... I've actually supported giving tickets to celebrities a long time ago but I think it's a little weird to do that for some awards show.

evasorange

Final Flight
The ONE thing that wasn’t broke and didn’t need fixing-the gala-is what isu decides needs an overhaul?! Just when you think you’ve the height of their stupidity they find new ways to surprise you 🙄