ISU announces 'ISU Skating Awards' | Page 4 | Golden Skate

ISU announces 'ISU Skating Awards'

Ross74

Medalist
I hate this idea. :bang:

In this case, get rid of the whole thing and let the skaters go home a day early and rest.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Gala after WC 2020 now turns into a show with musicians/performances between the skating and several decoration ceremonies?

Best Skater, Best Coach, Best Choreographer, depending on the number of Khrustalniy skaters on the podium, #TeamTutberidzeForProgress stands a fair chance of receiving these prices, but the prizes are rewarded over all disciplines thrown together, so it will mostl likely be an incomprehensible mix or mess with murky argumentation and lack of transparency. Public votes, where is the tally?

I'll wait for the event before passing verdict, but IMO it is a pretty superfluous idea. But perhaps some ISU big money sponsor furnishes the prizes for recognition?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I LOATHE this idea. Now I'm sorry I bought an all-event ticket to Montreal, because this gimmickry does nothing to promote figure skating as a sport. It's the kind of circus-like publicity that is most attractive to girls under 14---and face it, they aren't the ones who buy $1500 tickets.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I love galas and am genuinely really sad about this. I like things like more local skaters being highlighted and skaters with fun programs who maybe didn't place high getting an opportunity to skate, but this does not sound like either of those things. The gala is the one place left for truly "free" skating and we're going to get less of that now? :noshake:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Mind you, though I don't give the ISU credit for this much foresight, you have to note the timing was seredipitous. I have no idea why they decided Skate Canada was the right moment - would have though the first GP at Skate America or the GPF itself would be more logical - but the managed the announcement right after the probable favourite and most high-profile contender for Best Newcomer stormed home proving what can be achieved with jawdropping technical wizardry - and just before their biggest star and contender for MVP also brought a whole cyclone to show what can be done when said wizardry is matched to experience, artistry and near-perfection in every skating area.

Well, they couldn't have asked for a better showcase, could they?

(Still a silly idea)

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Honestly, these days I get scared whenever I see there's news from the ISU, and this one only contributes to my fear. Who was sitting there, thinking "Let's get rid of all the crowd favourites, national skaters and young prodigies in the gala and hold a popularity contest instead"? I mean, "Most Valuable Skater"? Yeah, let six people decide who's the most worthy skater. "Best Costume"? Beauty pageants are calling, they want their category back! Best newcomer, choreographer and coach can be awarded by counting the medals, but "Most Entertaining Program" is also very vague. This will fuel fan wars more than anything else.

Sorry, I really can't see how this is supposed to increase the popularity of figure skating when there's hardly any figure skating happening. Maybe indeed a few people will find the way into the fandom, originally tuning in to see something of the music/dance/cirque noveau part, but I think the sport is losing more by not adressing the actual issues. I wonder if the ISU is even aware of the concerns of the fans?

Warwick360

Medalist
Shame there's no comeback skater award. That is something that is truly interesting to follow in tennis and Laureus awards. And considering how much highs and lows there are in skating, this would have been the award I would have been anticipating the most if it had existed. :disapp:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I have no idea why they decided Skate Canada was the right moment - would have though the first GP at Skate America or the GPF itself would be more logical ...

Wasn't the announcement scheduled to coincide with Skate Canada International because Skate Canada is hosting 2020 Worlds?

The timing seems logical to me.

I didn't watch the announcement video, but from what I have seen "on paper," I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about the awards.

Except that I hate the criteria for the category of "Most Valuable Skater." :dev2:
If the point is to reward someone "who best managed to increase the level of popularity of Figure Skating related to the fan base involvement, media attention and sponsors appreciation," then the category should be named Most Visible Skater or something like that.
"Valuable" brings other meanings to mind.

Fan voting is a part of other sports, such as voting for Major League Baseball's All-Stars, so I am not horrified at the concept of voting.
Just hope :pray: that the ISU will have the technical know-how to set up the online voting properly.
(The Team Challenge Cup voting was a big mess -- although I think it was set up by USFS, IIRC? As opposed to the ISU.)

… The whole public voting thing is not going to work either. Just open the voting to former worlds competitors or to the skaters at the synchro world championships(this may seem like a weird suggestion, but it'd be a large sample for those interested in skating). ....

I understand what you are saying about a limited pool of well-informed voters.

Side note that voting at synchro worlds wouldn't work -- they take place after figure skating worlds.

Unlike others, I would not assume that "Best Costume" is for "Prettiest Outfit" or is only a dress contest.

Something other than a dress could get high marks for "creativity, contemporary implementation, fashion, style and originality."
And it would not necessarily be as "pretty" as other costumes.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
If the ISU wanted to broaden the scope of the gala to include, say, a special non-skating artistic performance from something like Cirque de Soleil (based in Montreal, I believe), In an effort to broaden the appeal of the sport, I would be all for it. But replacing the gala with a sort of reality show, including awards and celebrities and whatnot, does not really appeal to me. I want to see the skaters skate!

Did the ISU learn nothing from the card tricks at Skate America? That sounded like a good idea at the time too, right?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
If the ISU wanted to broaden the scope of the gala to include, say, a special non-skating artistic performance from something like Cirque de Soleil (based in Montreal, I believe), In an effort to broaden the appeal of the sport, I would be all for it. But replacing the gala with a sort of reality show, including awards and celebrities and whatnot, does not really appeal to me. I want to see the skaters skate!

Did the ISU learn nothing from the card tricks at Skate America? That sounded like a good idea at the time too, right?

Cirque is always recruiting at any artistic coordination sport event.

Perhaps the Montreal 2020 LOC has found a sponsor for this 'feature'? It remains to be seen how well it will be received by federations, skaters, media, fans and sponsors, and with gala running time limited perhaps we'll see less actual skating?
One can hope the 'features' take place during resurfacing break, which otherwise is dead time, but that will require some kind of visible podium or stage at above boarding height, now when this will take up hundreds of commercial seating space at one end of the arena ....

Not every venue has this podium in place or even enough floor space when the competition is held in a dedicated ice hockey stadium, though recent 2019 gymnastics world championships took great efforts on presenting the athletes on a large podium, a huge video wall behind it, and fireworks and other extravaganza.

So we'll just have to wait and see how this 'feature' rolls out.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
C

Not every venue has this podium in place or even enough floor space when the competition is held in a dedicated ice hockey stadium, though recent 2019 gymnastics world championships took great efforts on presenting the athletes on a large podium, a huge video wall behind it, and fireworks and other extravaganza.

So we'll just have to wait and see how this 'feature' rolls out.

They also had a new take on the Kiss and Cry, but rather than the athlete awaiting scores with the coach, they sat next to the gymnast they were hoping to knock from the top of the podium.

In a way, I liked it, once I got used to it. The athletes hugged each other and chatted while waiting for the scores, and then the "loser" walked off and the "winner" stayed.

The whole setup made it seem "not the end of the world either way this plays out." It was nice.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Quick, Quick..while there is still time we need to get on twitter and suggest other categories:

Most music cuts in a single program
Most literal costume
Best "I don't think your choreographer told you to do that" movement in a program.
Least favourite Voice Over (correct answer here is: All by the way or we are fighting)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
They also had a new take on the Kiss and Cry, but rather than the athlete awaiting scores with the coach, they sat next to the gymnast they were hoping to knock from the top of the podium.

In a way, I liked it, once I got used to it. The athletes hugged each other and chatted while waiting for the scores, and then the "loser" walked off and the "winner" stayed.

The whole setup made it seem "not the end of the world either way this plays out." It was nice.

This 'hot seat' concept is used in other sports too, downhill skiing and many snowboarding events I've seen it.

Would the skaters mind? You have to stay presentable, and this gives you ample time to display your sponsors' logos etc. sort through some of your gifts and show them to the camera to kill time. I kind of like this idea :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quick, Quick..while there is still time we need to get on twitter and suggest other categories:

Most music cuts in a single program
Most literal costume
Best "I don't think your choreographer told you to do that" movement in a program.
Least favourite Voice Over (correct answer here is: All by the way or we are fighting)

Most dramatic K&C hissy-fit.
Best use of gazing-softly-and-longingly-into-the-horizon opening pose.
Dance/Pair Breakup of the Year!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
LOL, many category proposals, and a $1 a vote hotline to cast your vote ...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Most dramatic K&C hissy-fit.
Best use of gazing-softly-and-longingly-into-the-horizon opening pose.
Dance/Pair Breakup of the Year!

I mean 2 of yours really bring the drama! It could turn into an old episode of dynasty out there complete with hair pulling and earring tossing. I approve.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean 2 of yours really bring the drama! It could turn into an old episode of dynasty out there complete with hair pulling and earring tossing. I approve.

Dynasty! You kill me!

I told another Canadian (I think it was a Canadian) this weekend who was slinging the sass that she thought like a soap opera villain, and I wanted to be her friend.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Dynasty! You kill me!

I told another Canadian (I think it was a Canadian) this weekend who was slinging the sass that she thought like a soap opera villain, and I wanted to be her friend.

We Canadians hide our evil behind a sheen of niceness.

Actually.. I'm a dual citizen (British and Canadian -Both my mom and dad are British) so maybe any evil I have comes from that side of me and the Canadian part is the nice part? I don't know.. or maybe it's just me and I'm sneakily evil.