Gilles and Poirier's New Programs | Golden Skate

Gilles and Poirier's New Programs

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I love Gilles and Poirier's new programs - especially their Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell. This is of course is a Joni Mitchell classic redone in her later years. It's just perfect for Paul and Piper's smooth style. I wondered how they would top last years Vincent program, but they've hit it out of the park again. I also love their nod to Torvill and Dean's Mack and Mabel theme. Well done Piper and Paul.

:medal":points:

russell30

Final Flight
I love Gilles and Poirier's new programs - especially their Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell. This is of course is a Joni Mitchell classic redone in her later years. It's just perfect for Paul and Piper's smooth style. I wondered how they would top last years Vincent program, but they've hit it out of the park again. I also love their nod to Torvill and Dean's Mack and Mabel theme. Well done Piper and Paul.

:medal":points:

:luv17:FANTASTIC for them, I watched the Free Dance last night on the ISU stream and was so overcome and full of emotion for Piper and Paul, I knew that the judges needed to put that first over Madi and Zach, its such a gorgeous program, improved from ACI and is growing on me, now as Canada's No:1 couple they have a good shot for a World medal I hope!!!. Great choices and well done to the team, Carol & Juri and others have done a wonderful job!! - SD to Mack and Mabel right up for me too!- :love: but there FD is Stronger!!

Congratulations on their Skate Canada international win. They have reached the top echelon in ice dance, and well deserved.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't like the version of Both Sides Now they're using: it's tuneless and monotonous. Why not use the original Judy Collins version?

Trillium

Rinkside
I am not a fan of this version of the song either. I much prefer Joni Mitchell's original version, but I really think this rendition adds to the overall story that they are trying to present. Well done Piper and Paul!

Just as music, though, this is the best version.

Joni Michell wrote the song in the 1960s. When it was first recorded by Judy Collins, Mitchell didn't think the interpretation did the song justice, so she recorded it herself. Years later she revisited it with this version. To me, the 50-something Mitchell really made us believe that she had seen life from both sides now, unlike the versions from the 1960s.

Last edited:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I also love their nod to Torvill and Dean's Mack and Mabel theme.

Yes, Piper & Paul have worked with Christopher Dean in the past. Their coach, Carol Lane, is British and is friends with Dean. She used to be an ice dancer on the UK team with Torvill & Dean in the early 1980's.

rain

Record Breaker
Just as music, though, this is the best version.

Joni Michell wrote the song in the 1960s. When it was first recorded by Judy Collins, Mitchell didn't think the interpretation did the song justice, so she recorded it herself. Years later she revisited it with this version. To me, the 50-something Mitchell really made us believe that she had seen life from both sides now, unlike the versions from the 1960s.

While I also like the original recording Mitchell did, I think it would just sound dated if they tried to use it in a big arena like that. It would make it more of a period piece, whereas I think the one they're using now comes across as more timeless — because — I think the big orchestral portions of this version are an integral part of what makes this dance really work, along with older Joni Mitchell's vocals (beware smoking, everybody).

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Because it's Joni Mitchell signing (older now of course) and she wrote it. The Judy Collins cover was great in it's time, but now when you listen to the words, you realize how much more mature the lyrics ring true, to someone who has gone through many life's experiences and seen both sides now. Also the tempo works for their bluesy ice dance pattern, the original cover is faster and a little more upbeat. I love both versions. The first time I heard Joni singing this version I didn't recognize her, but she has that Joni ring to her vocals, so in a class of her own. It's like listening to Bob Dylan singing one of his classics, not always recognizable but definitely Bob Dylan!

noskates

Record Breaker
I absolutely loved Paul and Piper's free dance - especially to that song. It was genuine chemistry and both were totally into the song. I've watched this team for several years and their programs have always been a bit "different!" but this is a grown up program and hopefully will land them on quite a few podiums.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Subline program by Piper & Paul, and the best version of Both Sides Now by far! An older, wiser Joni, and a lot of living in that voice. Joni won the Grammy for Best Album for Both Sides Now, which featured this version in 2000.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been trying to figure out if the Waltz beat is part of the original song or added later for emphasis. The beat is very effective for me and drew me into the program more quickly. I love it by the way.

viennaskater

Medalist
This programme is a true masterpiece. It amazes me how they manage to skate it with such feeling and softness, despite the high level of technical difficulty, creating a very special mood. Although I tended to prefer their more avant-garde programmes of a few years ago, this just proves their versatility. Finally they are getting recognition for what they bring to ice dance.

No disrespect to Papadakis/Cizeron, but for me, Gilles/Poirier deserve to be the next world champions.