Flip Jump | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Flip Jump

sarahspiral

Rinkside
I think that you're over thinking things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you've identified a problem after watching a video of yourself (without your coach) that your coach had not identified. Slow motion can be useful in some instances, but not in others. In this case, it sounds like your jump is 1/4 or less under rotated, and this is generally accepted as a cleanly landed jump, especially at the level you are at. If the under rotation is not apparent in real time, then it's probably not as bad as you think it is, even if it exists. There are also reasons that a coach might not comment on the under rotation, especially if there are problems with the takeoff or landing that are leading to the under rotation.

I suffered from over thinking when I skated (that's why I became a coach) and it really hurt my jumps. I suggest leaving the in depth analysis (especially with video and slow motion) to your coach and focus on applying the corrections he give you. Trust that he knows what he's doing and can help you improve. If you don't trust that your coach can help you become the best you can, then maybe it's time to consider a new one.

I probably am over analyzing my jumps...I tend to over analyze things at times, lol! I didn't realize that 1/4 under rotated would be acceptable at my level, that makes me feel better but I'm still hoping I can one day get to where that doesn't happen. I definitely trust my coach and you're right, I probably need to leave the in-depth analysis up to him b/c the more I do it, the more frustrated I'm getting! Thank you for your help! :)

sarahspiral

Rinkside
Yes, it sounds like you may not be following through and stopping when you get back to the pick. I know this is going to sound crazy, but don't overthink it and let your body do it's thing: The more we overthink and try to make the jump work with our brains instead of muscle memory, things go awry.

Good luck!

I don't understand why I"m stopping when I get back to the pick, I've never had that problem on the other pick jump I learned (Toe Loop). But I think you're right that I must be doing that and it's slowing down the momentum. I'm definitely over analyzing all this which seems to be stressing me out...and the more I'm stressed, the worse my jumps will be! I'm going to try not to do that as much. Thank You for your help! :)