Interesting interview with Kiira Korpi about coaching and training | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Interesting interview with Kiira Korpi about coaching and training

withwings

On the Ice
I see you updated your comment. "Raising concerns" is more like a fashion. That's not how it should be done. BTW Kiira was talking about psychological impact in the first place, not physical, and about coaching methods, by sharing her (bad) experience. But she didn't bother to find out, whether thre is something similar, she proceeded to conclusion there is immediately. That's what's wrong not just due to presence of slandering, but due to counterproductive result of such action. If she would truly be interrested about ladies like Anna and co., than, in my view, nothing would be easier than this. Talk to her in some reasonable way, like:

"Hi, I'm former figure skater, in my competitive career I had some negative experience, e.g. XY, I'm interrested about how this works in ypur team. Did you have similar experience? If so, how did you feel about it? Did you witness something like that with others? If you would have been in such situation, what you think about it? Do you think it is OK or not? Did it somehow damage your self-confidence or did it actually help to you?"

And so on. On this, you would be able to make some conclusions. But raising vague concerrns about something you have zero info and experience is wrong.

You all the time are fighting with yourself.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
To be objective, she said a few words about Finland. But who cares about Finland in figure skating? If they do abuse children there let's close their Fed for a while until they straighten up things. I don't think it will affect any podium this season. Jenni SAARINEN 4th place at the Cup of Finland with 181.20 is the maximum they can get.

But she originally specifically picked on Anna Scherbakova right after her win. And this is either a stupid mistake or a conscious decision. And if the latter is true no matter what "save the world" rhetoric she uses now she won't "hide donkey ears behind the hat".

For the record, I care about Finland. Rahkoma and Kokko. :luv17: Synchronized skating! Plus, I'm all for small federations who battle against big odds. Rock On Finns!

:rock:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the record, I care about Finland. Rahkoma and Kokko. :luv17: Synchronized skating! Plus, I'm all for small federations who battle against big odds. Rock On Finns!

Valter Virtanen:rock:

Someone whom I admire more than 90% of the gold medalists in any sport:yes:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

Even if they abuse kids? Also for the record I watched recent interviews of Anna and Alyona. Both look like very mature personalities at their 15 years of age, anything but children crushed psychologically by evil adults, soulless jumping machines who incurred big human costs. I won't go into analogies I would just say it yet another time that Kiira's concern about Anna's paying human cost after her glorious win was absolutely unnecessary.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Again anything above a statement of FACT is going to be a value-laden minefield. That entire second paragraph is full of them. Just choosing the USA and OAR-- and who won or lost--is hardly the definition of a neutral statement. "Crushed," totally value laden. "Stronger" and "weaker," value laden. Actually about the only way you CAN be value neutral in that paragraph is to state: The score of the USA/OAR match on 17 Feb 2018 was X-Y. I could point out your total anti-American bias in the paragraph. I could point out that anything above and beyond a reiteration of the fact that two teams played on this date and had this score is not fact; it is value-laden (and in some cases like "crushed" value OVER-loaded) modifiers and culturally-influenced, because the values are themselves influenced by the culture using them as descriptors.

That's basic linguistics.

I've never used the term "neutral statement" nor aspired for it. Either you are still not reading carefully what I've written (I repeat for the third time, I've written: "When skater falls and messes program (or skates well), anybody can say that", while never wrote anything about neutrality in relation to the results, so you are just putting words I've never said into my mouth), or you are deliberately creating a straw man.

You all the time are fighting with yourself.

Nope.

grado

Match Penalty
Now she labels Russian quad girl's peformances at GP as "circus tricks" in her interview to Dave Lease...

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Now she labels Russian quad girl's peformances at GP as "circus tricks" in her interview to Dave Lease...

Both are laughable in their attempt to hide how they are displeased about what's going on in ladies figure skating.

"11 year olds are doing quads. Is this safe? Even for the body, but to think what's going on like in emotional side, psychological side and I think the main problem in skating is that most of the times they are coached, I mean the athlete is coached as a product, product of the system and product of the coach, extension of the ambition of the coach, the parents or whoever...I don't remember where I was going with this".

What a brilliant lady!

Another outstanding quote (are they out of their mind?):

Kiira: "In America too it's shocking how normal it is that coach has sexual relationships with underage girls and it's like a normal thing".

Dave: "Everyone knows it but no one talks about it"

And now the key point:

Dave: "When you watch skaters who are 15 years old they are all doing quads and a lot of them don't make it untill 17 years old, they are done. Will you watch? The tricks are kind of impressive, they haven't really learned may be the same skating skills and the artistry, and the expression and it seems almost robotic in a way, what do you feel when you watch the skaters who are winning right now?

Kiira: "You kind of described the feelings that they are very mixed. In a way I am very impressed by their skills, it's like watching the most amazing circus tricks...but at the same time it's obvious that you feel the mechanistic way and it comes from the training because since they were 3 years old they are in the system and it's the system that produces human beings into athletes in a very effective way... The other thing is if it is ethical, is it healthy long-term?"

I invested into watching this and I have to say that Kiira speaks like not a very bright person, sorry. 15 year old Russian skaters have better logic and articulation. It looks like she decided that she can gain something from her "ethical crusade". She explained this in the first part of the interview. And she even finds supporters. I personally find it as just a lamentable attempt to piggiback on Russian skaters who are much more talented and successful than she ever was. And I don't think that I want to invest any more time in listening to her or discussing what she wrote and said. She is another Rodina with a bit more relevant background and in a better package. ANd I don't have time for rodinas.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It fascinates me that she doesn't even consider the possibility that the skaters (and this could be related to any sport) actually like what they are doing. She doesn't speak for anybody but herself.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
It fascinates me that she doesn't even consider the possibility that the skaters (and this could be related to any sport) actually like what they are doing. she doesn't speak for anybody but herself.

Well, I listened until the end and it makes sense now. She is going to receive her bachelors degree next spring (some people are PHds by 31 but anyway) and she plans to get her masters degree in psychology after that with the research dedicated to figure skating. So, writing and discussing her words here we are in a way investing in Ms. Korpi's scientific career. Once again, I don't want to be a part of it.

katymay

Medalist
"The medals will fade. Life will go on. And at the end of the day, it's not about the medals." - Brilliant! Imagine you say this to a kid (and his/her parents) who just starts skating.:)
I guess Zhenya might have already heard/read something similar, but I bet she would have some other thoughts.

I am all for healthy and good skating. I just think talking is easy, talking-only is bad, and people need to do hard work.

It's a nice Pollyanna sentiment from a beautiful girl who was a pretty mediocre skater. When it was Korpii's time to skate I usually ran down to do the laundry. AND, As a matter of fact, those medals have been turned into money for Trusova, Medvedeva, and Zagitova in particular-enough money from endorsements and shows to make their post skating lives very comfortable if they are careful. (And I do pray that Russia has laws to protect the earnings of minors). Anna wishes to become a doctor, and she goes to a special accelerated school so that she can do so post skating.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’ve read the past few posts and still all I have to say is:

Great respect for Kiira Korpi:cheer:

(And Valter Virtanen:rock:)

And the oh she’s just jealous and oh other girls win medals mean as much to me here as they do with other posts about health and skaters. Which is not at all:bed:

and certainly whatever kind of skater Kiira has no impact either :laugh: so, since this discussion is no longer about the excellent points Kiira made in this interview, I will go onto other threads. Peace out:peace:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So back long ago a very young skater called Tracy Wainman who became national champion at 13 (national medalist at 12). She went to worlds at 12. Her career is a short and troubled one. If you want to read about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracey_Wainman.

"Often cited as a cautionary example of a young skater who burned out after being prematurely pushed into the spotlight, Wainman commented in 2006, "if they had held me back, I might never have got to compete at the Worlds. I'm just glad I got to go."

As I said in another thread at age 9 I was riding horses and jumping 6 foot high fences (I started at 5 and was jumping by 7ish). A lot of people would have probably thought my parents were nuts.. especially nowadays. There are risks. There are always risks. Athletes take risks. I do worry about Alysa, Rika, Anna, Alexandra and all of the other incredibly talented young women who are pushing the boundaries of ladies skating technically. I hope that the proper precautions are being taken to keep them safe. However it's a genie that can not be put back in the bottle at this point so we need to deal with it. Good coaching and training methods and a non-abusive environment are key to making sure that all athletes are healthy and happy.

Last edited:

AKC

Spectator
Is it appropriate to imply that there are training issues, abuse etc., but really be talking about the Russian skaters and not others like Alysa Liu, Young You, Rika Kihira who are performing quads/3A? No. However, if you tackle these specific issues, start with eating issues/body dysmorphia. That is a glaring problem which can have lifelong consequences. Ppl have issues with Anna S. because she looks dangerously thin - the amount she "allegedly" can't be above is well under the normal range for her height, age & muscle mass. And Gaby should also be assessed due to her social media body issues. When look (literally) like issues, address them.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I am frankly disgusted by 90% posts in this thread. It is the very same thing as when Katelyn Ohashi spoke out about body shaming in gymnastics - "oh it doesn't happen! She just... wasn't lucky! It's not the same for everyone!"
Sure it's not. Kiira has never said that every single athlete is abused by every single coach. Her issue is, abuse in coaching is accepted as a training method. Which it is not and never should be. She mentioned few counties in one short interview and for some reason, some people here are adamant SHE'S ONLY TALKING ABOUT ETERI AND ETERI IS PERFECT. Because Finland doesn't matter (even though they are synchro powerhouse, which means they actually produce MORE elite-level skaters than aby other country, including Russia).
Why on earth would you think that you are more knowledgeable than a retired, adult athlete who spent her entire youth dealing with this very system that you probably will never see from the inside? Ah, yes, BECAUSE SHE HATES RUSSIA. Apparently. So it's a good idea to disregard every single issue she's talked about as non-existent.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Lol, let's forget about Eteri for now. She said that it is normal in the USA when coaches have sexual relations with underage girls. I was very surprised to hear that. I thought it was not normal.

Georgya

On the Ice
Lol, let's forget about Eteri for now. She said that it is normal in the USA when coaches have sexual relations with underage girls. I was very surprised to hear that. I thought it was not normal.

Exactly this. Kiira Korpi throws some big accusations regarding the american systhem but people (mostly nord americans from what I can see here) are still focusing only on Russia.

Thousands of comments and pages on how Eteri is starving children but not a word here concerning the scandal Oda vs. Hamada and the grave accusations brought to Hamada, among many - abusing skaters. It's easy to accuse the russians on being too defensive, but why are people focusing aggressively only on Russia?

I mean this season is bad that the (russian) juniors are beating the seniors skaters but last year was not when everybody was chearing for Rika Kihira, a junior, to defeat the senior - Alina?

A triple axel is almost like a quad, why are we not concerned about Rika who started to practice it since she was 13-14 yo? And for those who will come and say that this was adressed already. No, it was not with the same fury as against the russians.

Either we start to treat everything and everyone by the same rules or we need to shut up!!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Could you please give me the quote in this article where “she” (I presume Kiira) said it was “normal” for coaches to have relations with underage girls? Thank you. :)