Inspired by love and by loss, an AK skater brings emotion... | Golden Skate

Inspired by love and by loss, an AK skater brings emotion...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Inspired by love and by loss, an Alaska figure skater brings his emotions to the ice
https://www.adn.com/sports/2019/11/...ZRuKwNPXNVjzxIfVjlBYOpGE8SEQmlOWib9F0aTvjIaeA

Keegan Messing has always skated with passion and showmanship. Whether he is channeling Charlie Chaplin, Gene Kelly or the Incredible Hulk, he is a storyteller capable of charming audiences from Fur Rendezvous to the Olympics.He is 27 years old and has been skating since he was 3. He has never run out of characters to play or tales to tell, but in his first three competitions this season, Messing has earned raves for sharing personal stories of the ecstasy of love and the agony of loss — and for an act of sportsmanship that went viral.

Local news paper detailing the last few months of Keegan Messing's skating career. Didn't see it already shared, apologize if this is a repeat. :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I swear the man is in competition with Jason Brown for the best spins and more importantly being the nicest man in all of figure skating. And he’s #1 in my heart. I deeply regret I will probably never see him skate in person.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I swear the man is in competition with Jason Brown for the best spins and more importantly being the nicest man in all of figure skating. And he’s #1 in my heart. I deeply regret I will probably never see him skate in person.

I first got to see him skate as a kid when he skated in a local show for Fur Rondy in Anchorage and I knew then he was special. I've only seen him in competition twice - US nationals in 2008 when he was still a junior, and this year at Skate America. Still one of my favoritest skaters. Really nice guy, too.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I first got to see him skate as a kid when he skated in a local show for Fur Rondy in Anchorage and I knew then he was special. I've only seen him in competition twice - US nationals in 2008 when he was still a junior, and this year at Skate America. Still one of my favoritest skaters. Really nice guy, too.

I've been lucky enough to see several comps live, but nothing that special. That short and the exhibition were iconic performances I'll be watching a decade from now.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
That short and the exhibition were iconic performances I'll be watching a decade from now.
Same!!! :yes: I loved them both SO MUCH!!! :love: They are the kind of programs that make me forget about elements and just focus on the skating, regardless of requirements, scores, or placements. I was lost in the world Keegan created and forgot everything else. Those moments when you're watching skating and you feel like time stands still are very precious indeed. You know time is going by and yet you stop thinking about time or noticing it. It becomes all about how you're feeling individually and personally. Your heart tells you, "Stop. Remember this feeling. Remember these thoughts. Remember this." Wow, is that too deep or what? :laugh: It's quite hard to put into words. In Keegan's case at SA, not only was I reminded why I am ultimately a figure skating fan, but also of what is most important in life. In these moments, being a figure skating fan teaches me lessons about life. The truly crazy part is, I was only able to watch through a computer screen, and I still felt all this. Being in the arena must have been beyond words, because I wasn't in the arena and both the SP and Ex still came across so beautifully. This post is long, but my words still feel inadequate to describe it. Sorry for rambling and going deep on you all. Tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this deeply after certain figure skating programs. ;)

Thanks for sharing the article. I have loved reading through old interviews and catching up on some of Keegan's programs recently. He's awesome. He is finding a way to "sing in the rain." (I couldn't resist that ;)).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This post is long, but my words still feel inadequate to describe it. Sorry for rambling and going deep on you all. Tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this deeply after certain figure skating programs. ;)

No, you aren't the only one at all. Some skates just take us to places we had no idea we were going to go. :)

Just in case some posters here don't know it, Tonichelle is a big mushing (dog-sled racing) enthusiast and sometime photographer. Fur Rondy is a big festival and celebration of Alaskan history and culture and winter sports. :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kak5xKSU3Ic

Rondy is fun, breaks up the winter doldrums, and has a LOT of dog mushing (and the Iditarod is the finale)! It's the one thing I miss not living in Anchorage. :laugh: And yes it's a small world as Keegan and I have some mutual friends (connected to mushing). LOL

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My local skating fan friends & I are forever indebted to Tonichelle for introducing us to the wonders of Keegan. Thanks to Toni (via GS), we've been so fortunate to see him skate for a few summers @ the summer competition in Aston, PA (as Keegan was transitioning from junior to senior in the USA).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My local skating fan friends & I are forever indebted to Tonichelle for introducing us to the wonders of Keegan. Thanks to Toni (via GS), we've been so fortunate to see him skate for a few summers @ the summer competition in Aston, PA (as Keegan was transitioning from junior to senior in the USA).

You've seen him compete more than I ever will! :laugh:

TOLD you that kid is special!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thank you for the article. Mr Messing strikes me as a total standup guy. And I'm so glad that he has taken a step toward programs that are about more than "aren't I adorable?" Not so coincidentally, they're already turning out to be wildly successful with audiences.

I knew he could do it. ;)