help with skates too | Golden Skate

help with skates too

iceskating21

On the Ice
My skater is using Jackson Freestyle. The blade is Ultima Mirage 9". She is working on Junior MIF, double jumps, and etc. It seems this model is not very good for her level. Generally what make/model will be good for her level for awhile? What's the price range? Also, is it a good idea to only change blades while keeping boots?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My skater is using Jackson Freestyle. The blade is Ultima Mirage 9". She is working on Junior MIF, double jumps, and etc. It seems this model is not very good for her level. Generally what make/model will be good for her level for awhile? What's the price range? Also, is it a good idea to only change blades while keeping boots?

If said skater is working on Jr MIF and doubles, one should be better versed in how to skate "shop". Go find a reputable figure skating pro fitter, NOT someone at a hockey shop or rink pro shop that sells mostly hockey stuff.

Have them measure and trace your daughters feet and do everything a knowledgeable pro would do.

They will then suggest skate and boot (separate at this point) that is best for her fit and level.

She should at least be in a MK Pro or JW Coro Ace at this stage as far as blades. Her foot will determine the boot model and brand.

Good luck.

JSM

On the Ice
At her level she needs an experienced fitter.

The boots and blades needed will depend on a lot of factors. How often and long does she skate? How tall is she and how much does she weigh? How deep are her edges? Do double jumps mean salchow and toe loop or lutz and axel? How long has she been in her current boots and what is the current condition? Is she still growing? A good fitter will take all of this into account! Also talk to her coach!

iceskating21

On the Ice
If said skater is working on Jr MIF and doubles, one should be better versed in how to skate "shop". Go find a reputable figure skating pro fitter, NOT someone at a hockey shop or rink pro shop that sells mostly hockey stuff.

Have them measure and trace your daughters feet and do everything a knowledgeable pro would do.

They will then suggest skate and boot (separate at this point) that is best for her fit and level.

She should at least be in a MK Pro or JW Coro Ace at this stage as far as blades. Her foot will determine the boot model and brand.

Good luck.

If not the guy in rink pro shop, where should I look for this pro fitter? In sports store? If she is not seriously competing, what's the price range I will expect? $200-$300?

iceskating21

On the Ice
At her level she needs an experienced fitter.

The boots and blades needed will depend on a lot of factors. How often and long does she skate? How tall is she and how much does she weigh? How deep are her edges? Do double jumps mean salchow and toe loop or lutz and axel? How long has she been in her current boots and what is the current condition? Is she still growing? A good fitter will take all of this into account! Also talk to her coach!

My daughter is growing fast nowadays. But she is not competing seriously... Hard to answer all questions. Let's get the most important question. Whom shall I go to and how much will I expect?

I used go to the skate sale in my rink and get the ones from those parents who I know their daughters are a little bit higher level than my daughter and whose skates are my skater's size. Last time, I couldn't find such a pair and hence bought a used pair from the guy working in our pro shop. He sharpens and sells skates, both new and used. But I 'm not sure how experienced he is. He didn't explain anything to me and just sold me a pair. Later he mentioned my skater needs better ones.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Since we don't know anything about where you are and the capabilities of your rink's pro-shop, we can't answer as to how knowledgeable they are, or are not. (And I'm not asking you to reveal where you are).

But if the pro-shop is decent then start there. The pro-shops at many rinks are very good.
But for the ones that don't get a lot of business then their staff is not going to be knowledgeable.

You ask questions here that your daughter's coach should also be able to assist you with. That coach should know the capabilities of your rink's pro-shop - good or bad - and be a resource for you. If the coach has a bad opinion of the shop, then s/he can direct you to the best shop in your area. Ask! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If not the guy in rink pro shop, where should I look for this pro fitter? In sports store? If she is not seriously competing, what's the price range I will expect? $200-$300?

Why don't you ever ask your kids coach or even talk to other rink parents with experienced skaters?!?! They aren't pulling their skates out of a magic hole somewhere. They know where to go.
You can even talk to the head of the figure skating program, they will know.

Stay away from sports stores. I wouldn't even take past a rec beginner there for boots.

And 200-300 dollars?!? For what?! boots? blades?

LOL this is an expensive sport. You aren't going to get both for that much at her level.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Why don't you ever ask your kids coach or even talk to other rink parents with experienced skaters?!?! They aren't pulling their skates out of a magic hole somewhere. They know where to go. You can even talk to the head of the figure skating program, they will know.

These are very good points. I moved to a new state 1 year ago. My current rink has a rock bottom shop, mostly geared to hockey.
But my coach, parents, and other skaters told me where to go and where not to go, throughout the whole state! Turns out that best tech for me is at a wonderful complex 2 hours away. But others go to a rink 1 hour away, that also has a great pro-shop.

Sit in the lobby and talk with other parents too. It will be beneficial.

Nimyue

On the Ice

Try more like $200ish for blades and $600ish or more depending on her needs for boots.

It does not matter if she's competing or not. It completely depends on the elements she's doing. There's no difference in the impact of a double jump in front of three judges or on practice ice. Correct skates are a safety issue. Don't try to save money and get something not suitable for her needs. That's a recipe for disaster.