The where are they now thread? | Golden Skate

The where are they now thread?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I looked to see by using the advanced search box a thread like where are they now but didn’t come up with it. Mods is there any other way we can search past threads or archives? If one exists and you want to resurrect it and continue please add on. I often wonder about skaters and coaches and unless they were very famous and still are google doesn’t usually have much. Even the famous seem to drop off radar at a certain point.

I was wondering what is Alyssa Cizny not sure her spelling even first or last is doing since she retired? Also what is Joanie Rochette up to?

I saw a a Katia G on TSL maybe last year say that she was with Liza on very practice- Kulik apparently isn’t teaching her at that point. But I didn’t see that Liza competed in sectionals in a while. Has she quit? Gone to college? I also wondered if Kulik still lived in USA or was back in Russia? Doing what?

Does Rudy Galindo still coach any high level skaters? I know he had Polina Edmunds but she quit and went to college right?

I also wonder about Yuka Sato . Does she still coach and is she in Japan? And did her dad Nobui Sato retire? Thanks for answers and questions.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was wondering what is Alyssa Cizny not sure her spelling even first or last is doing since she retired?

From imdb.com:

Alissa Czisny was born on June 25, 1987 in Sylvania, Ohio, USA as Alissa Starr Czisny. She is an actress, known for Ice: The Movie (2018), Entertainment Tonight (1981) and Brian Boitano Skating Spectacular (2010).
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2149969/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

I'm glad you asked this. It reminds me that I want to see if I can find Ice: The Movie somewhere. It sounds good.

Does Rudy Galindo still coach any high level skaters? I know he had Polina Edmunds but she quit and went to college right?

I believe Rudy Galindo was Polina's choreographer, not her coach. I know that he's currently the choreographer for Kate Wang, a 14-year-old junior USA skater who did well on the JGP circuit this year. She's a charmer.
Kate's SP "Over the Rainbow" at Chelyabinsk in September: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMV8r-Ctl8A

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I used to see Rudi at some of the Northern CA competitions, but I can't recall any "big name" skaters that were with him. He did have a good stable of students though.

I'd really like to know what my 1980s Russian favorite Vladimir Kotin has been up to. I think I saw him as a coach in the kiss-n-cry a few years ago. There is not much about his life on Wikipedia as I had just looked him tonight.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I looked to see by using the advanced search box a thread like where are they now but didn’t come up with it. Mods is there any other way we can search past threads or archives? If one exists and you want to resurrect it and continue please add on. I often wonder about skaters and coaches and unless they were very famous and still are google doesn’t usually have much. Even the famous seem to drop off radar at a certain point.

I was wondering what is Alyssa Cizny not sure her spelling even first or last is doing since she retired? Also what is Joanie Rochette up to?

I saw a a Katia G on TSL maybe last year say that she was with Liza on very practice- Kulik apparently isn’t teaching her at that point. But I didn’t see that Liza competed in sectionals in a while. Has she quit? Gone to college? I also wondered if Kulik still lived in USA or was back in Russia? Doing what?

I also wonder about Yuka Sato . Does she still coach and is she in Japan? And did her dad Nobui Sato retire? Thanks for answers and questions.

Alissa coaches. She's been doing coaching seminars and shows around the world.

Katia G just got done with Battle of the Blades in Canada. Kulik is still in California from what I know and their kid still skates.
Rudy coaches. He coaches many including Krisi Yamaguchi's daughter.

Yuka coaches in Detroit still and tours with pro shows. Her dad still coaches in Japan.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… I know he had Polina Edmunds but she quit and went to college right? ...

You are incorrect that Polina Edmunds quit skating. She competed earlier this season in the NQS series.

Injury forced her to take a hiatus from skating and competition, but she did not quit. (And she never said that she had quit.)

(You are correct that she did go to college. Now in her senior year, IIRC.)

... It reminds me that I want to see if I can find Ice: The Movie somewhere. It sounds good. ...

Ice: The Movie was -- and maybe still is -- available on Amazon and Vimeo, IIRC. (And perhaps elsewhere.)

Leelee425

On the Ice
Liza Kulik was competing in synchro with Los Angeles Ice Theater at least as of last year. She is on their Instagram.

PinkElephants

Rinkside
I'd really like to know what my 1980s Russian favorite Vladimir Kotin has been up to. I think I saw him as a coach in the kiss-n-cry a few years ago. There is not much about his life on Wikipedia as I had just looked him tonight.

He's coaching regularly at Sambo 70, in the class of his old coach Elena Tchaikovskaya (Конек Чайковской), as "Honored Coach of the Russian Federation" (first name under tренеры - coaches). You can see a couple of recent pictures of him on their FB page chaykovskayaskate. He's listed on isu for a dozen mostly junior skaters (Litvinitsev, Shipov) and a recent article from July also names him as Savosin's "long-time coach" along with Alexei Chetverukhin (not listed as his coach on isu, but Savosin trains in Tchaikovskaya's class).

In the 00s he was co-coach (with Tchaikovskaya) to Butyrskaya, Soldatova, Davydov, Nelidina and did some of their choreography. Went pro for a while after retiring from competition and was in Champions on Ice & Igor Bobrin's Theater of Ice Miniatures, got married in 2006. So he's doing pretty well :)

In 2007 he appeared in a documentary on Tchaikovskaya, Её ледовое величество (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0GUi681eVo, you can see him at 2:30).

Fun fact I found while searching, in 2012 he got interviewed for a Russian home magazine! https://houses.ru/beautiful-houses/articles/houses-of-stars/1398/ A few pictures with his wife Svetlana Diachkova too - if I understand correctly Tchaikovskaya herself did the landscaping for their home (!)

https://fskate.ru/skaters/644.html has a list of his Russian students, pictures

skateluvr

Record Breaker
So is Liza Kulik in college if so where. Did Katia win again at BOB? I don’t think Daria skates. Her instagram is about being very thin at points and fashion. I don’t see any pics of Kulik. Some of her and Liza and her mom. Does Daria work? I don’t think Liza skates competitions any more. She wished to be an Olympian I read but not gonna happen so school is logical. Other than occasional shows is Ilia doing anything in business perhaps?

I haven’t seen Mr Sato in any kiss and cry in a while. Or Yuka. I wonder if Jason is still coaching since he and Yuka split up? Haven’t seen him. How many kids do Jenny and Todd have. I did see them this season with a pair. Anyone know who their students are?

Surya Bonalywas unique. I wonder what she does now. Makes me wonder about Candeloro. And now that Javi is done competing will he coach is Spain or in Canada? Does he still date Miki Ando?

I was surprised Vanessa and James were not at French Gp but are on BOB in Canada? Are they taking a break or what? They were a top team last year so what’s the deal? I hope they haven’t quit. I really miss Weaver and Pope. Did they retire? I hope not.

PinkElephants

Rinkside
I was surprised Vanessa and James were not at French Gp but are on BOB in Canada? Are they taking a break or what? They were a top team last year so what’s the deal? I hope they haven’t quit.
Vanessa in an interview for Ice Talk last month said they're taking a year off to improve on their skating quality and brainstorm new transitions/lifts before the Olympics as they couldn't do that if they were busy with new programs. She also said they intended to do Nationals and Euros this season but haven't been training. If they decide not to do them they'll be back next season

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So is Liza Kulik in college if so where. Did Katia win again at BOB? I don’t think Daria skates. Her instagram is about being very thin at points and fashion. I don’t see any pics of Kulik. Some of her and Liza and her mom. Does Daria work? I don’t think Liza skates competitions any more. She wished to be an Olympian I read but not gonna happen so school is logical. Other than occasional shows is Ilia doing anything in business perhaps?

I haven’t seen Mr Sato in any kiss and cry in a while. Or Yuka. I wonder if Jason is still coaching since he and Yuka split up? Haven’t seen him. How many kids do Jenny and Todd have. I did see them this season with a pair. Anyone know who their students are?

Surya Bonalywas unique. I wonder what she does now. Makes me wonder about Candeloro. And now that Javi is done competing will he coach is Spain or in Canada? Does he still date Miki Ando?

I was surprised Vanessa and James were not at French Gp but are on BOB in Canada? Are they taking a break or what? They were a top team last year so what’s the deal? I hope they haven’t quit. I really miss Weaver and Pope. Did they retire? I hope not.

Okay these questions are starting to get weird and creepy.

As far as Katia's kids, that's really personal info regarding their private lives and schooling, and why or why not. Kulik has been skating in shows and coaching (as we've said in this thread already).

Many of us have told you that Yuka and her father are both still coaching and who. Jason still coaches and you see him in K&C's.

The Sands coach the Knierims, Calalang/Johnson, and others.

Katia didn't win BOTB she came in third with her partner, Poje and Spooner were second and Weaver and Kennedy won.

Javi has his own show Revolution on Ice in Spain.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Okay these questions are starting to get weird and creepy.

As far as Katia's kids, that's really personal info regarding their private lives and schooling, and why or why not. Kulik has been skating in shows and coaching (as we've said in this thread already).

Many of us have told you that Yuka and her father are both still coaching and who. Jason still coaches and you see him in K&C's.

The Sands coach the Knierims, Calalang/Johnson, and others.

Katia didn't win BOTB she came in third with her partner, Poje and Spooner were second and Weaver and Kennedy won.

Javi has his own show Revolution on Ice in Spain.

Agreed! Also, most of these questions could be answered with a simple Google search (e.g., How Katia did on BOTB).

JamieDavid

Rinkside

Polina is coached by her mom now only, I believe. She did not compete at regionals nor did she qualify for a Sectionals spot. She could be finishing up school then just train after that for next season. Not sure if her former coaches and her had a bad falling out but I wouldn’t be surprised. Rudy is a great coach and has a lot of good skaters. He’s a gem.

JamieDavid

Rinkside
Elizaveta Kulik competed on the LAIT Ice theatre team. It is not a synchro team. Not sure if she’s still on it. Surya is in Minnesota coaching. Javi is not with Miki anymore, he has a new gf. There is nothing wrong with asking questions about the skaters. They put this on social media so it’s not off limits.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Polina is coached by her mom now only, I believe. She did not compete at regionals nor did she qualify for a Sectionals spot. ...

I remain unsure as to whether Polina has an NQS bye to sectionals??

As I have discussed in the U.S. Ladies thread, she could end up in the top six from her section in the NQS rankings, if those from her section who will not be "using up" slots at sectionals are not counted.

concorde

Medalist

As of about 2 years ago, Surya B was coaching in Minnesota. I assume that is still the case.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Surya was judge at Aurora Games. She is still coaching and recently posted a vid showing she still can do 3sal and 2A in her 40s.

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
Anyone knows what happened to Nan Song? Is he coaching now?