Changing blades | Golden Skate

Changing blades

Ashleighthorp

Spectator
Hi I am fairly new to skating but have recently purchased a pair of edea overtutes which came with the rotation blades. I am now considering upgrading to the coronation ace blades so my question is how easy is this to do? Would I need new holes drilling or would the old blade fit where the new one was? Sorry for all the questions. just never changed blades before.
Thanks 😊

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi I am fairly new to skating but have recently purchased a pair of edea overtutes which came with the rotation blades. I am now considering upgrading to the coronation ace blades so my question is how easy is this to do? Would I need new holes drilling or would the old blade fit where the new one was? Sorry for all the questions. just never changed blades before.
Thanks ��

This is something you are going to have to talk to your skate tech about because edea's take a shorter blade than other brands. And they mount differently IIRC, so please consult a tech pro.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
It is possible to change blades, but its not something you can do yourself (unless you are a trained technician). First of all, you need to make sure you use the specific Edea screws with the blades (what Ic3Rabbit refers to above). The screws normally used with other boot brands won't work and can ruin the boot. Secondly, usually you don't use the same holes and the technician will plug the old ones and make new ones for the new blades. You don't want to do this a bunch of times, so you do need to take them somewhere that has experience so you can get it done right the first time. I would probably ask the tech if they work with Edeas first before I let them do anything with the boots.

A long time ago, my son had a pair of Overtures and we had our tech reposition the blade it came with as the positioning wasn't optimal for him.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In addition to special Edea mounting screws for mounting the blades, you also need special Edea filler plugs for plugging the old holes in the boot. So you definitely need a tech experienced with Edea boots.

Mounting holes in blades (even for the same size) are not standardized. It would only be a great stroke of luck for the mounting holes in a different model of blade to line up with the old holes in the boot. And, even if they were to line up, holes in the boot sometimes get stripped when reused, and need to be patched.