NBC GOLD STREAM viewing suggestion | Golden Skate

NBC GOLD STREAM viewing suggestion

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have seen many people on golden skate complain about issues with the NBC Gold Feed...My suggestion is to download it to the Amazon Prime app and watch it there. I have found whether it's on my phone, laptop or fire stick I have no issues with the feed when I watch thru the prime app. I have gone so far to compare it through the NBC Gold app alone vs the Prime NBC Gold and the Prime app works better everytime

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have seen many people on golden skate complain about issues with the NBC Gold Feed...My suggestion is to download it to the Amazon Prime app and watch it there. I have found whether it's on my phone, laptop or fire stick I have no issues with the feed when I watch thru the prime app. I have gone so far to compare it through the NBC Gold app alone vs the Prime NBC Gold and the Prime app works better everytime

I’m confused. There’s an NBC Gold App specifically for Prime? Personally I’ve gone back to watching NBC Gold on my computer because I get so much buffering on the fire stick that I’m 5-10 minutes behind everyone else in the Competition thread and that is no fun at all.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I've also found watching through NBC sports via gold on Prime works great too

Ohamyooo

Rinkside
I'm confused, too, but that may be because I am admittedly not very technologically savvy. I've tried watching NBC Sports Gold on my Kindle Fire, and for the life of me I cannot get it to work.

oly2018

Final Flight
I also have 0 issues with the app on Roku. I don't have the playback issues on the Roku app, but I do on my laptop on occasion.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm confused, too, but that may be because I am admittedly not very technologically savvy. I've tried watching NBC Sports Gold on my Kindle Fire, and for the life of me I cannot get it to work.

At least on the iPhone, the NBC Sports Gold app is no longer supported. You use the regular NBC Sports app but log in to your Sports Gold account. Not sure if it’s the same for Kindle.

ETA I don’t have any issues watching on my iPhone.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At least on the iPhone, the NBC Sports Gold app is no longer supported. You use the regular NBC Sports app but log in to your Sports Gold account. Not sure if it’s the same for Kindle.

I have no problems watching on my iPhone (most hated way to watch) or on my laptop, but on the TV the Firestick buffers like anything. Which really annoys me because I bought the Firestick just for this purpose.

Manitou

Medalist
I have an NBC Sports app on my Android TV Box where NBC Gold is just one of the tabs on the application. I subscribed to Figure Skating and Snow Passes and it all works for me.
I used to have some problems with NBC Gold app on Apple TV, I don't remember what kind of problems now, but I dropped it and switched entirely to the Android TV Box. It's all good since then.
So if it works OK for me already would I get any additional benefits if I hooked the NBC Gold to the Amazon Prime?

Another weird thing is that all NBC Gold events come without any commentaries or commercials. Just continuing silent coverage. It's good from one point of view, but I also miss Johnny's and Tanith's commentaries, which are very helpful and make the experiences much better. I am getting those commentaries later when they post the events on regular TV channels with a week or more delay.

With alpine skiing it's even worse. It used to all be on the Olympic Channel where I enjoyed watching Mikaela Shiffrin with Steve Porino's delightful commentary, and now a dead silent boring coverage on NBC Gold.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have an NBC Sports app on my Android TV Box where NBC Gold is just one of the tabs on the application. I subscribed to Figure Skating and Snow Passes and it all works for me.
I used to have some problems with NBC Gold app on Apple TV, I don't remember what kind of problems now, but I dropped it and switched entirely to the Android TV Box. It's all good since then.
So if it works OK for me already would I get any additional benefits if I hooked the NBC Gold to the Amazon Prime?

Another weird thing is that all NBC Gold events come without any commentaries or commercials. Just continuing silent coverage. It's good from one point of view, but I also miss Johnny's and Tanith's commentaries, which are very helpful and make the experiences much better. I am getting those commentaries later when they post the events on regular TV channels with a week or more delay.

With alpine skiing it's even worse. It used to all be on the Olympic Channel where I enjoyed watching Mikaela Shiffrin with Steve Porino's delightful commentary, and now a dead silent boring coverage on NBC Gold.

I don't think it has any additional benefits to hook it to Amazon Prime. Mine goes there because I have a Fire Stick. I may try a Chromecast or something if it continues to be bad. I'm sorry about your alpine skiing. Sometimes there is commentary with NBC Sports Gold and sometimes there is not. Some people like commentary and some don't (Skate America had commentary. Nationals and Worlds will have commentary. I cant't remember about 4CCs, I don't think so.) The ideal would be an option to turn commentary off or on.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
On the NBC Sports app (not sure if it needs to be Gold or not) you can also replay the TV broadcast of the event, which does have commentary. However, they usually don't broadcast the entire event. I didn't watch the IdF broadcast, but someone said they only aired a few of the men and women and only P/C in ice dance.

I prefer no commentary, so Skate America was insufferable for me. The option to turn it on or off would be nice, especially since the free and easy A ISU Youtube stream most of the world gets is commentary-free. NBC Gold not showing victory ceremonies or galas is really annoying too. Since it's a paid service one would think it should be better than free services. At least it should be not worse.

Manitou

Medalist
NBC Gold not showing victory ceremonies or galas is really annoying too. Since it's a paid service one would think it should be better than free services. At least it should be not worse.

Not showing galas is frustrating. I have been desperately looking for Skate France 2019 gala entire Sunday on Youtube and Dailymotion, but except Alina's performance there was nothing. And even that performance was just a spectator's video made with a phone. Are they going to release it?

P.S. There is actually something on Youtube, but when I click on it I am getting some mysterious message: "This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated."
WTH?????!!

Ducky

On the Ice

I think they don't have the commentary because this is the raw ISU stream which NBC will recut and broadcast the highlights for when they show it on NBC - why pay Johnny and Tara to fly to where ever when they can do it in studio Sunday morning.

RoyThree

Rinkside
Country
United-States
NBC Gold not showing victory ceremonies or galas is really annoying too. Since it's a paid service one would think it should be better than free services. At least it should be not worse.

I sent my concerns to NBCSportsGold regarding not showing the awards and galas a few days ago. They acknowledged receiving my concern, but still haven't actually answered my question yet. As I said in my contact, they paid for the right so why aren't they using it.

I watch the NBCSportsGold coverage on our Roku TV with no problems. I just added a Fire Stick and downloaded the NordVPN app on it and was able to watch replays of the gala. I am far from a tech person, but the process was pretty easy.

As an aside, I had to take a cold shower after watching Nic Nadeau skate his gala program. :biggrin:

Ohamyooo

Rinkside

I don't have any issues watching on my iPhone, either. It's the Kindle Fire that I just can't figure out. If I download the NBC Sports app, it doesn't let me log into my Sports Gold account. If I google NBC Sports Gold and try to watch through their website on the Silk browser, when I log in and click on the video I want to watch, it tells me I do not have a valid account (or something like that) for Sports Gold, even though I'm already logged into it. So frustrating.

princessalica

Final Flight
I don't have any issues watching on my iPhone, either. It's the Kindle Fire that I just can't figure out. If I download the NBC Sports app, it doesn't let me log into my Sports Gold account. If I google NBC Sports Gold and try to watch through their website on the Silk browser, when I log in and click on the video I want to watch, it tells me I do not have a valid account (or something like that) for Sports Gold, even though I'm already logged into it. So frustrating.

I’ve had the same issues with my kindle fire. I complained last season. No changes that I’ve seen.

Ohamyooo

Rinkside
I’ve had the same issues with my kindle fire. I complained last season. No changes that I’ve seen.

I contacted the NBC Sports support desk and got a very vague answer with instructions to redownload the NBC Sports app and try logging in again, which did not work. I don't think they have a large enough user base trying to watch via Kindle to give a hoot about fixing the problem.

artika

Rinkside
I sent my concerns to NBCSportsGold regarding not showing the awards and galas a few days ago. They acknowledged receiving my concern, but still haven't actually answered my question yet. As I said in my contact, they paid for the right so why aren't they using it.

I watch the NBCSportsGold coverage on our Roku TV with no problems. I just added a Fire Stick and downloaded the NordVPN app on it and was able to watch replays of the gala. I am far from a tech person, but the process was pretty easy.

As an aside, I had to take a cold shower after watching Nic Nadeau skate his gala program. :biggrin:

Where have you watched the gala? NBC doesn't broadcast galas, right?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Folks, I just received a survey form from NBC Gold. I’m guessing we all will.

Rest assured my comments will include a request that all galas be televised. If you agree, please mention that also. The more the merrier!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just received that survey and will mention the galas too...I'm still trying to figure out how to watch on my Kindle. I get to a certain point and then just give up. I'll have to reread your comments here and try again.