Figure Skating Maps - our little pet-project | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Maps - our little pet-project

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hello there. :giveup:

Ok. At first this had started as my little hobby about 3 weeks ago, and now many people are finding our skating maps useful. Some nice people are helping me with this little project.

So I decided to share our work with the world now:

Alina Zagitova, SP "Me Voy":
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIkXk2JU8AIVyQo?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIkYApIUUAAGejP?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Aliona Kostornaia, SP "The Leftovers" (aka "Angel"):
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIkZLrWUUAA7eqG?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIkZeEvVUAALmGg?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

We are planning to do these maps for all top ladies. Around 14-15 figure skaters. We already did 6 skating maps/layouts, but we still need to checked them all thoroughly and hopefully translated to different languages. For a now we publishing just these 2 maps. 4 SP maps more to come soon. And then 8-9 SP maps more. Hopefully we will get it done by GPF. We are planning to do FPs for 15 top skaters as well.

If you want to help, comment or repost our skating maps, follow us - we are going to publish all our English version maps here: https://twitter.com/SkatingMaps

Our maps are free, no commercial intentions at all.

Let us know what you think! :sad21:

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
These are really interesting! Thank you very much for sharing your work. It's quite illuminating.

sweetener

Rinkside
These are amazing, thank you for sharing your work! :love:

May I suggest Jason Brown's "I Can't Go On Without You", if you haven't thought of it yet? :)

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Wow, very impressive work! :clap:

Is this all done manually or do you apply some kind of automatization? Just asking, I'm curious.

Jetta

Rinkside
This is pretty fabulous! Does really highlight how detailed elite senior programs are and the amount of ice they cover.

Just curious why you chose to show the tracing patterns of field moves like loops and twizzles, but not many of the others.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Really nice, and a painstaking work that needs to be admired for its detail.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
This is pretty fabulous! Does really highlight how detailed elite senior programs are and the amount of ice they cover.

Just curious why you chose to show the tracing patterns of field moves like loops and twizzles, but not many of the others.

Thanks for noticing. Just for artistic purposes. Our maps are still work in progress. Certainly, this is not how pattern of twizzle look like as a trail on ice.. ;) We will keep working on our maps and some changes to be expected. We need some help with identifying all steps, turns, hops and other transitions. ;) Send us detailed list of all transitions and elements with your favorite figure skater and link to his/her skate which you used - and we will see what we can do. ;) Certainly we are going to do such maps for all top figure skaters. The process of drawing and labeling alone is very time-consuming. Help us!

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, very impressive work! :clap:

Is this all done manually or do you apply some kind of automatization? Just asking, I'm curious.

Manually. :(

We need some help with identifying all steps, turns, hops and other transitions. ;) Send us detailed list of all transitions and elements with your favorite figure skater and link to his/her skate which you used - and we will see what we can do. ;) Certainly we are going to do such maps for all top figure skaters. The process of drawing and labeling alone is very time-consuming. Help us!

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
These are amazing, thank you for sharing your work! :love:

May I suggest Jason Brown's "I Can't Go On Without You", if you haven't thought of it yet? :)

This is just a hobby for us. :)

Send us a detailed list of all his transitions and elements in this program and we will see what we can do! It will take some time, but your help would certainly speed up our workflow. ;)

I have always thought of these drawings as genuine works of art. I remember seeing some sketches of Lori Nichol programs from the 1990s and early 2000s that were pretty elaborate. I could easily imagine seeing them framed and hanging in an art gallery.

They would also be wonderful gifts for skaters or others interested in the art and beauty of figure skating. You could make up a few and donate them to a local skating club either for display or to offer in their silent auction fund-raisers. I bet there would be a lot of interest. Famous programs like Zagitova's Don Quixote would fetch in the hundreds. (Plus, once constructed you could make prints pretty cheaply.)

Or you could pair them with quality photographs of the skaters. (I guess you would have to share the profits with the skaters and choreographers, ;) )

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loving the ideas of the map; not that I'm really sure what I'm seeing:laugh:

But I admit I never understood the importance of viewing a program as a whole like that until one summer comp when Jonathan Cassar and Frank Carroll were sitting right behind me during the men's SP. And I mean *right* behind me, such that I had to move my stuff for them to sit down. (yes, humblebragging :biggrin:) So of course I sat up straight and tried to overhear anything I could of their comments during the competition.

I remember to this day Frank and Jonathan discussing the rink coverage of many of the skaters, and the area of the rink where they performed their element. For example, IIRC, Jonathan was very impressed with J.H. Lee of Korea, because he had a spin in each corner of the rink.

Stupid me, I never even looked for that kind of information. Or thought about it.

I do now. :) And the maps would show that :yes:

statmam

On the Ice
Mathman beat me to it, but I also envisioned these as framed posters hanging on the wall. They are that beautiful.