Adding Team Event at Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Adding Team Event at Worlds

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Meh. I don't really like the team event. Winning a medal for a team effort in an individual sport almost cheapens the win, in my opinion. It's fun to watch, but I feel like it doesn't really have a place in high-level competition, including the Olympics. I just can't get past the feeling that the whole thing was put in place just to give Plushenko a gold medal sendoff at Sochi.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
I think team events are a good thing and I would like to see them more often because people who failed to qualify for worlds or failed to win a medal can redeem in team events.

Like there are competitions for different levels.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Meh. I don't really like the team event. Winning a medal for a team effort in an individual sport almost cheapens the win, in my opinion. It's fun to watch, but I feel like it doesn't really have a place in high-level competition, including the Olympics. I just can't get past the feeling that the whole thing was put in place just to give Plushenko a gold medal sendoff at Sochi.

And why not? Say what you want but Plushenko skated well at the Team Event. So what's wrong with giving him a send off like that? It was the same for Patrick in 2018, and I was fine with that. Both men skated well in the team event, and helped lifting up their respective teams. And what about the pairs and other men? I really enjoyed Adam's FS, and was so happy for him that he really contributed to the team effort. I realise there are third parties who tend to pretend these medals are individually achieved, but I for one like the event. True, I'd rather see a mixed team event (as in the YOG), but I don't see why it's no problem in Speed Skating to have team medals for certain events while it's presumably a problem in Figure Skating. And of course I wish Synchro was part of the Olympics. But to me, that's a totally different kind of team anyway.