Gifts for skaters. | Golden Skate

Gifts for skaters.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Rika K just put this pic on her FB page. She likes to do this. She clearly appreciates gifts. I wonder what her room at home looks like? :laugh:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh how fun! I wish more skaters would do this! I'm still waiting for my favorite skater to do this. One of the coolest things was when Japanese skater Daisuke Murakami posted a You Tube of himself opening his gifts. And Jason had photos after Sk Amer of the stuffed animals he was going to donate to Ronald Mc Donald House in Vegas. Very fun!

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Realistically I doubt it's practical for skaters to be able to keep all their loot at home. I can't imagine them trying to stuff flowers into their luggage - that probably goes into recycling lol. And I'm sure most of the stuffies get donated too. I just wonder what their suitcases look like after a competition :laugh: Still, the practice of throwing plushies and flowers on the ice is a really cute and wholesome tradition.

alexaa

Final Flight
Oh how fun! I wish more skaters would do this! I'm still waiting for my favorite skater to do this. One of the coolest things was when Japanese skater Daisuke Murakami posted a You Tube of himself opening his gifts. And Jason had photos after Sk Amer of the stuffed animals he was going to donate to Ronald Mc Donald House in Vegas. Very fun!

The lip balm you were talking about last season:biggrin:?

I remembered seeing Boyang, Dima, Vincent showing some of the gifts in IG stories last year.

I am wondering what happened to that giant/huge Pooh a Yuzuru fan brought to SC 2 weeks ago.

MintGreen

On the Ice
What type of gift do skaters like in general? And what type of gift will get better chance of actually being kept/used by the skaters than stuff animals? Clothes? Chocolate?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Realistically I doubt it's practical for skaters to be able to keep all their loot at home. I can't imagine them trying to stuff flowers into their luggage - that probably goes into recycling lol. And I'm sure most of the stuffies get donated too. I just wonder what their suitcases look like after a competition :laugh: Still, the practice of throwing plushies and flowers on the ice is a really cute and wholesome tradition.

I always throw more stuffies to those who don't get any/many. I hope they have enough room to take them home if they want. I know Donovan took my stuffie from Philly as it was seen packed up in his stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

What type of gift do skaters like in general? And what type of gift will get better chance of actually being kept/used by the skaters than stuff animals? Clothes? Chocolate?

I have a stuffie thread where someone posted a link to a stuffie article Someone got a Rolex. I bet they kept it.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The lip balm you were talking about last season:biggrin:?

Ah boy -- I think that was an 8 pack of Burt's Bees lip balm. Highly unlikely that it got used!!!! :curse:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Good question. Probably depends on the skater....A poor skater probably likes toy animals stuffed with $100 bills, but they dont get to keep those as skating eats them up like candy. I will ask skaters at the next FOFS breakfast I go to.
"Hey there, you two ladies look like you might want to say something about this topic?"

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What type of gift do skaters like in general? And what type of gift will get better chance of actually being kept/used by the skaters than stuff animals? Clothes? Chocolate

If I remember correctly, Jason's former coach used to tell him that he was not supposed to eat anything that was given to him. Seems sad, but these days you never know!

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice

Alina has said that she keeps all the handmade cards and gifts.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder how many Poohs Hanyu has...................

Most of them are donated to children's charities in the vicinity (there were lovely pictures from Helsinki of them being wrapped by volunteers) and while he may keep as many presents as he can - like that giNORMOUS $150-plus one at SC - he couldn't possibly keep everything he's given at competitions and shows. And he's not the only one.

It's not easy is it? I mean they all would like different things, but I imagine most would be extremely grateful for anything that people care enough to give or make them. I'm touched by the things like the fans that lappo mentioned, or stuffies/toys dressed in copies of the skaters' costumes, things that are small but personal...

Or handwritten letters. I'm not them, but I can't see how any skater, especially those who don't get flooded with gifts, wouldn't be happy to get the old fashioned fan letter clearly written for and about just them. And letters don't take up much room in the luggage :biggrin:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see a display of Yuzu's Pooh gifts that he has been able to keep, ditto for Boyang Jin - Spiderman gifts?

I wonder how many rabbits/bunnies Sean Rabbitt has received (yeah, I've given him some!).

lappo

Final Flight
Some more customized teddy bear which were gifted to skaters :love:
Pooh with R&J 1.0 costume: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/97/a3/d3/97a3d3a0276ab7f4901c06330468e635.jpg
Superjavi Pooh: https://orophine-blog.tumblr.com/post/181732721005/gave-javi-superjavipooh-gave-yuzu-superjavipooh
Boyang 2017 costume: https://howlaconic.tumblr.com/post/157431141621/boyang-jin-matching-costume-teddy-bear-at-the
Yuna Bond (which actually ended in profit for the fan maker): http://everythinglbh.com/entry_view.php?id=280

I think skaters will keep this customized items though probably the only sure thing to gift are handwritten notes...I remember an interview where Brian Orser said that Yuzuru's team (including mom and sister) are in charge of picking these up from the toys, which eventually are given to charity.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see a display of Yuzu's Pooh gifts that he has been able to keep, ditto for Boyang Jin - Spiderman gifts?

I wonder how many rabbits/bunnies Sean Rabbitt has received (yeah, I've given him some!).

And bottles of tequila. At least those can be drunk.

Yuzus poohs have a Twitter account. Unfortunately I can’t find it now since if you search Yusu and Pooh you get like thousands of responses.

If I were giving flowers I would give them after the short since at least they could enjoy them in their hotel room for a short time.