Gifts for skaters. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gifts for skaters.

penniavaswen

On the Ice
Country
United-States
A couple of years ago I got into a real pique of crocheting, and made 6 amigurumi dolls with the ladies' costumes moving up from junior to senior (or within in the past 2 years) at the US Nationals. I'd like to think that they got them, but I only saw one of them pick it up and wave it to the camera :V
Probably won't ever do that again, since the shimmery fabrics and copious bedazzling was copied with a crazy assortment of specialty yarns and oh so many beads, which meant that each mini dress was a gigantic time sink despite only being ~5" tall.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A couple of years ago I got into a real pique of crocheting, and made 6 amigurumi dolls with the ladies' costumes moving up from junior to senior (or within in the past 2 years) at the US Nationals. I'd like to think that they got them, but I only saw one of them pick it up and wave it to the camera :V
Probably won't ever do that again, since the shimmery fabrics and copious bedazzling was copied with a crazy assortment of specialty yarns and oh so many beads, which meant that each mini dress was a gigantic time sink despite only being ~5" tall.

There are two Canadian ladies who go to every worlds and have been for who knows how long. They have Canada jackets that are absolutely full of autographs going back a long ways. I saw them in the line to switch regular tickets to handicapped. Then there was a little feature done on them during an ice resurfacing or something. One of them makes a gift for every single skater at Worlds. I can’t imagine. It is a small thing, I saw her throwing something but could not tell what it was.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If I remember correctly, Jason's former coach used to tell him that he was not supposed to eat anything that was given to him. Seems sad, but these days you never know!

I would sadly also advise this....even in my day of the 1950s, there were always stories about Halloween where some candy or ? was tampered with....before I retired from the state patrol, there was a time the secretaries who opened the mail had to wear rubber gloves for fear of certain very bad substances being put in envelopes to hurt people..... :(

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would sadly also advise this....even in my day of the 1950s, there were always stories about Halloween where some candy or ? was tampered with....before I retired from the state patrol, there was a time the secretaries who opened the mail had to wear rubber gloves for fear of certain very bad substances being put in envelopes to hurt people..... :(

Exactly -- and they all undergo drug testing. Heaven forbid someone would purposely put something in an edible gift (homemade or store bought). They have to be careful.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll never forget the beautiful Jason Brown "Riverdance" doll that a fan (who was sitting in our section) gave him after practice @ 2014 US Nationals in Boston. Complete with the ponytail, too.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
One thing that struck me and stuck in my memory ever since was Alina Zagitova's spontaneous, immediate answer to an interviewer who asked her "what is your favourite present, of all the gifts you receive?"
She said "warm applause and cheers from the fans for my performance."
Incredibly tactful and wise answer for a then 15 year old.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At Skate Canada, someone gave Tracey (well, she was a skater!) a couple of Yuzuru-in-costume decorated cookies...

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Do skaters appreciate it when fans wave their countries’ flags for them, does anyone know? To me it seems like a lovely thing to do, especially if the skater is not from the country where the competition is taking place, but I’ve always wondered.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Do skaters appreciate it when fans wave their countries’ flags for them, does anyone know? To me it seems like a lovely thing to do, especially if the skater is not from the country where the competition is taking place, but I’ve always wondered.

That is a good question. A fan here I know has a whole bushel basket of flags for comps.....
Personally, I find it hard to separate politics from flags, so I dont even wave the US flag at events. I see nothing wrong with people, like those wonderful Japanese fans, waving American flags for Jason, et al because I know they are not waving political symbols, but flags of appreciation. I would think skaters see the flags in that light also and are appreciative.

Makemi

Rinkside

I definitely think the skaters appreciate when they see fans waving their countries' flags. This is old but there was an article from the NY Times about the "flag-waving fans" from the Olympics:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/22/sports/olympics/figure-skating-fan-flags.html

Here's a quote by Katelyn Osmond:
“It is always exciting to go out onto the ice and see the Canadian flag lifted as many times as possible,” Osmond said. “It is a very global sport and there are athletes from everywhere. And it is great to see the support for everyone and it makes me feel a lot better on the ice.”

Getting back to gifts for skaters, I know Shoma and Nathan have been seen wearing fan gifts. And bless whoever threw the sombrero to Donovan at 4CC last season. Him wearing it was one of the highlights of the comp for me and he seemed really happy (or at least really amused). :laugh:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist

I think they will appreciate any sign of support, including the flags of their country. and I agree that it may make them feel welcomed and appreciated when they compete abroad. I am thinking of going to GPF and there will be several Russian skaters/couples I would like to cheer for and demonstrate my love for them, but it will be impossible to make personalized banners for each and every one of them, so I think I will bring a Russian flag. I think it's a valid alternative in this situation.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I've waved my little international flags @ comps & shows (COI, SOI), and I've gotten thumbs up & smiles from Kurt, Elvis, Shizuka, Donovan C., & many others. If I have the respective flag for the respective skater, I wave it. BTW, we've never been to Japan, but I was thrilled to be able to buy a little Japanese flag @ 2003 Worlds, so I could cheer on Takeshi Honda, Shizuka, Fumie , ... etc.!