2019 Cup of China: Day 1 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Cup of China: Day 1

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Shcherbakova's musicality and refinement is one of the best I've ever seen and unlike the girl who got the highest PCS she actually rotates her jumps. This outrageously false propaganda is a big yawn.

You mean the best you've ever seen from HER, right? If you mean the best you've ever seen from any skater... all I can say is... well, you're entitled to your opinion. :)

Satoko's musicality and refinement is far superior (although I'd still have put Amber 2nd).

Han Yan Skating Skills 8.36
Shcherbakova Skating Skills 8.36

Math nerd alert. The reason that skaters can exactly tie in PCSs is that the total PCSs of the panel are graduated in 28ths of a point. (Each judge gives a score to the nearest quarter of a point and there are 7 judges scores counted after trimming.)

Both of these skaters got a total of exactly 8 and 10/28 points = 8.3571428... (the last 6 digits repeating). :biggrin:

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
You mean the best you've ever seen from HER, right? If you mean the best you've ever seen from any skater... all I can say is... well, you're entitled to your opinion. :)

Satoko's musicality and refinement is far superior (although I'd still have put Amber 2nd).

Satoko is still a snozefest, unfortunately.
While i understand some people may appreciate her, but to me she is by far the most boring of current crop of top skaters. Lack of jumps adds (not) to it.

young you looked really nervous from the start... i hope she doesn’t beat herself up for the falls and does well in the free skate!

Welcome, xpi0i21! Thanks for joining us. Post often, post long. :rock: Always a pleasure to welcome a skating fan from Abkhazia. :yes:

E

eterialskater

I have never like watching skaters that leave a small imprint. She might be musical but I can't be bothered watching through a microscope.

Pantsu

On the Ice
Han Yan Skating Skills 8.36
Shcherbakova Skating Skills 8.36

I agree with you, Anna should get higher scores in SS and overall PCS. I think, as time goes by judges will acknowledge her superior skills

Uh-oh, Daniil was so not amused by Anna's scores...

I know, right? Anna is only 5 points ahead of the field in the SP. I'd be a sour puss, too.

Don't worry, Daniil -- she'll crush the competition by 20 points in the LP. :yes:

1111bm

Final Flight
I know, right? Anna is only 5 points ahead of the field in the SP. I'd be a sour puss, too.

Don't worry, Daniil -- she'll crush the competition by 20 points in the LP. :yes:

I am curious though, if it was her TES or PCS that annoyed him... :think:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am pretty sure rotating jumps is part of Skating Skills. I wonder then why should a chronic under rotator and a small jumper at best receive such nice SS scores?

AFAIK, rotations in the air are captured as the BV for the jump value. I am far from an expert, I could be wrong

Rotations in the air are the least interesting part of any program, to me:yawn: I find the actual skating and skills performed on the ice far more interesting.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
There are already enough marks given for jumps. You can get 12 points for one single jumping pass alone. If you start awarding PCS based on rotated jumps then you might as well just make it a jumping competition and throw away any pretense that it is anything less than an athletic only display.

Satoko is a beautiful skater. She spins well, she has beautiful footwork, she is musical and she is graceful. I'd rather watch her than many many others.

The best skaters will always be the complete package skaters. Skaters who can do it all. Jumps, spins, footwork, artistry, musicality. I don't care how many quads you can do to be honest. If I feel nothing watching you skating and if you have the presentation skills of a doily then I'm not that interested. Maybe some people like endless crossovers or overly cluttered programs going end to end with jumping passes with no ability to relate to music. I don't want to watch that. Otherwise I'd watch.. trampolining.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Math nerd alert. The reason that skaters can exactly tie in PCSs is that the total PCSs of the panel are graduated in 28ths of a point. (Each judge gives a score to the nearest quarter of a point and there are 7 judges scores counted after trimming.)

Both of these skaters got a total of exactly 8 and 10/28 points = 8.3571428... (the last 6 digits repeating). :biggrin:

Math nerd Mathman is my favourite Mathman.

:bow:

Roast Toast

Medalist
It is pretty funny. Imagine Shcherbakova trying to skate Satoko's SP step sequence... :rolleye: The nerve some people have to complain when she's only two points behind in PCS.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Why is it "outrageously false"? Why is it "propaganda"? You may disagree with it, but that does not make it "false" and it certainly doesn't make it "propaganda". It makes it an opinion you disagree with.

The "skater who got the highest PCS", as you call her, IMO deserved it: her skills, artistry and refinement were superior to the other skaters in the filed.

All this kvetching every time a certain coach's skaters aren't scored the highest is, to borrow a phrase, a "big yawn".:bed:

Russian skater is doused in PCS despite skating on top of the music and falling: JuDgEs aRe r!GtHt, R U a JuDgE?

Russian girl leads but does not have highest PCS: eeeevul aNtI-Rashun pRoPaGanDa!!!!

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I am pretty sure rotating jumps is part of Skating Skills. I wonder then why should a chronic under rotator and a small jumper at best receive such nice SS scores?

It is called skating skills not jumping skills, that's why.
SS is scored as part of PCS, jumps are scored as part of TES

How you can claim people are engaging in propaganda when you don't even know that simple fact is puzzling.

I agree with you,

Wait. I guess I didn't understand LuvIce's post. What are you agreeing with?

LuvIce pointed out that Han Yan and Anna shcherbakova got the same scores in SS. This is true. This is a fact. LuvIce did pot express any view about who she thought ought to be higher than the other. (?)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Let me bask in the temporary glow of Han Yan's brilliance. His come-back SP was more than I could have hoped for. :luv17:

The FS will probably turn the standings upside down, but for now I have this moment.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Nitpicker. Thank you! :)

What? I like learning new things. :)

I am curious though, if it was her TES or PCS that annoyed him... :think:

Well, I can't speak for Daniil G, but he probably was disappointed that she only got 8.36 from the judges in Choreography. (But she beat Han Yan, 8.29 :yes: )

By the way, since there has been some misunderstanding of what "Skating Skills" means, here is the official language as to what the judges are looking for.

Balance, rhythmic knee action, and precision of foot placement.

Flow and effortless glide.

Cleanness and sureness of deep edges, steps, and turns.

Varied use of power/energy, speed, and acceleration.

Multi directional skating.

Mastery of one foot skating.

Ykai

On the Ice
Well, I can't speak for Daniil G, but he probably was disappointed that she only got 8.36 from the judges in Choreography. (But she beat Han Yan, 8.29 :yes: )

Honestly Yan Han deserves better Choreography, Lori has to work harder :