2019 Cup of China: Day 1 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019 Cup of China: Day 1

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
...I'm just happy that Brendan did so much better than at Skate America.

I am a simple fan with simple needs and those needs were met. That is all that matters to me. :)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Ladies
Satoko - She can skate to anything and I still love the part where she crowns herself at the end. This is one of my favorite SP's this season and I fell in love with it during the summer shows and was not disappointed here. Too bad about the mistakes but I am keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow!
Young You :( was so sad for her. I want to see her in the GPF so bad. Hope she can show a strong skate tomorrow.
Anna - she was really lovely. The music of the movie "Das Parfüm" should be really more popular amongst skaters. So many good tracks.
Marin - she did not pop her 3F. Thank you! Too bad about the URs. Also she and Amber were the only ones to get Level 4 StSqs ;) Marin is just so good. Her edges still amaze me. If only she would jump like she did during her golden junior days :( still keeping my fingers crossed

Men
Han Yan :). Him and Jason really show once again this season that beautiful triples, skating skills, spins and performance qualities prevail in the mess called Quad Craze!
Men constantly falling on Quads or popping them while having botched spins and step sequences just often times makes the mens programs less enjoyable to watch. I wish plenty of men would work more on their spins and skating skills than on 5 billion Quads, because Quads do not do much point wise if you only have Level 1 and Level 2 Spins and StSqs :/ so many points left on the table by so many male skaters because they only work on jumps.
Jun :( is it puberty, is it nerves, is it the ice? Idk? But I hope he fights through it this season.

Pairs
S/Hs SP is so good! Lori Nichol just knows how to choreograph an amazing program. The way they hit the music with every move wow. This program suits them so well and wow that save on the throw Flip!

P/J - both were lovely as well. Love this program. The music just keeps getting stuck in my head. Hope Peng's ankle is a little bit better.

pesto

On the Ice
Sofia, I think, needs a costume that better reflects the fun Latin vibe of Jambalaya.. Maybe it'd help her regain her sass from last year. It still felt like a better performance than Lisa to me, tbh.

Daniil may have been stressed partly because Anna skated quite early, and that was a beatable score if others skated lights out. But the axel girls effed up their chances of gaining an SP lead, and I can't see Anna screwing up the FP enough to let them forget it.

Ykai

On the Ice
Oh, I can't agree on that one.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6331182844

To me, every movement, stroke and gesture carried meaning within the context of the program as a whole. :love:

Edit: Plus, his costume ruled the day. :yes:

I feel Yan Han really made this program work, it was so pleasing to watch his wonderful SS, and his clean jumps, especially the 3A, he was not rushing through the program, but emoting and connecting. I was really moved and felt so happy that he did so well. But I still think there could be something more between the jumping passes, might just be me nitpicking :p

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Satoko’s PCS were too low. She should be getting 9+ across the board. I would give her 9.75 in performance and interpretation. She hits every note of the music and really performs. I have been watching her ever since she arrived on the senior scene as the “tiny queen.” She is one of the few true artists under the current judging systems.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Kostornaia also got 8.36 SS in France... (maybe there's no point in comparing two different events, but I'm kind of sad that she will probably lose to Anna or/and Alexandra)

katymay

Medalist
...I'm just happy that Brendan did so much better than at Skate America.

I am a simple fan with simple needs and those needs were met. That is all that matters to me. :)

He had a fun engaging program, I really enjoyed it.

katymay

Medalist
I have never like watching skaters that leave a small imprint. She might be musical but I can't be bothered watching through a microscope.

She has a beautifully crafted program-if they ever separate artistic and athletic skating, she will do great as an artistic skater. But, it seems to me she almost gets no lift on her jumps at all. I know she has worked very hard to improve her jumps, but I didn't see too much improvement today.

Amei

Record Breaker
So happy for Yan Han's come back :clap:

Other than that I had just some glances at the screen every now and then only to witness a fall. Was the competition a total splatfest?

I feel like Cup of China is always a bit of a splatfest.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, tbh I've only watched Pairs completely, and only Han Yan 0f the men. Timing wise, CoC takes place during working hours, and the comments I read made me only wish to see Han Yan of the men. No wish to watch a traditional splat fest. To start with the last: that was a gorgeous skate. No further comments. I'd rather see this than all the quads in the World, but with falls.

Now, on the pairs I do have a few comments to make. Wenjing Sui and Cong Han definitely were the top of the field but somewhat overscored. It was a good skate, but they can do better. Kudos for the landing on the throw though. They'll get better and better during the season I suspect. Charlie and Liubov in second is a surprise but seems correct today. I don't expect them to hold on to that, but for a team in its first season this is just fabulous. Good for Cheng and Yang after an injury. I keep liking them more and more. Not their best skate, but still handled well. And they seem so companiable these days. Nicole and Matteo did well too after an injury and limited training time. I got a bit distracted by Tarah and Danny. Won't go into the reason. Enough said by others. I love the Carmina Burana as a piece of music (listened to orchestras playing it, watched ballet dancers dancing to it, etc.) but what Alisa and Alexander are doing just doesn't fit. They really should forbid couples who can't do drama to skate to such a piece. Now if Sui/Han would have a go.....Loved the third Chinese team, despite some mishaps. They are young, they will improve. What's the matter with the North Koreans? I enjoyed their Malaguena SP at Nebelhorn (and they seemed to do so themselves too), and now this. Why? A shame, because they can do much better.

That's it for now.

LuvIce

Rinkside
Thank you!
Watching the videos of Han Yan and Anna Shcherbakova with those definitions in mind makes it so clear that Han Yan is light years ahead of Shcherbakova. Which is quite understandable considering experience, physical strength and so on. Shcherbakova has a special talent and skill for jumping and is rewarded a lot points for that, Han Yan has a special talent and skill for Skating Skills and is not rewarded enough points.

MintGreen

On the Ice
I only have comment on men's event as I haven't caught up the other three events yet.

The highlight was Han Yan. I was looking forward so much to his comeback but I admit I didn't have high hope. What a pleasant surprise. His skating skills and 3A are still there, as good as they were before, and his other jumps, what a beauty. Only after seeing his program, did I realize how much I miss his skating.

For the rest of field, well, at least Boyang and Matteo did better than their previous GP, and I hope they can carry on the trajectory. Keegan and Keiji are consistently inconsistent so there is chance that they will do well in FS. For Camden, not as good as in SC, but still not bad for his first GP season.

Having said that, the podium is still wide open and everyone has a chance to make it.

Matteo did a survey about whether he should keep his SP costume in his IG. Fans have spoken and apparently he has listened.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Matteo did a survey about whether he should keep his SP costume in his IG. Fans have spoken and apparently he has listened.

Oh can you imagine if some of the others did that too? (Yes, I know Yuzu doesn't have an IG but the principle, the principle...) It would make required reading just for the fun of it...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh, I can't agree on that one.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6331182844

To me, every movement, stroke and gesture carried meaning within the context of the program as a whole. :love:

Edit: Plus, his costume ruled the day. :yes:

:agree:

It's beautiful, understated choreography.

One year I saw two shows within a very short space of time on Broadway. Both were later nominated for Best Choreography at the Tony Awards. The first was Newsies, a Disney production with lots of Big Numbers and Acrobatics and Flash. The other was the revival of Evita. Now Evita was very interesting. It took me until the second number to realize Rob Ashford had choreographed the entire movement of the show to variations on Argentine tango steps -- something I could recognize from the ID pattern dance. The ONLY number that had the big, typical flashy dancing was Buenos Aires. Otherwise, it was just so subtle and absolutely thrilling to see how a limited palette of dance steps and subtlety could create a whole world of movement married to music.

What won the Tony? Newsies, of course. The Tonys want to sell show tickets. But Evita's choreography will be in my mind until I die. As will Han Yan's SP. It's just a perfect marriage of music and movement.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Sofia, I think, needs a costume that better reflects the fun Latin vibe of Jambalaya.. Maybe it'd help her regain her sass from last year. It still felt like a better performance than Lisa to me, tbh.

Daniil may have been stressed partly because Anna skated quite early, and that was a beatable score if others skated lights out. But the axel girls effed up their chances of gaining an SP lead, and I can't see Anna screwing up the FP enough to let them forget it.

If he saw that Anna two-footed the lutz, perhaps he'd be a bit happier with the judging.

Han was amazing. Rewatched his SP and he's improved so much since his PB at 2016 4CC. I'm excited to see what he brings to the free. Remember that he used to have two 4Ts in his long; who knows if he'll bring it here.

E

eterialskater

It is pretty funny. Imagine Shcherbakova trying to skate Satoko's SP step sequence... :rolleye: The nerve some people have to complain when she's only two points behind in PCS.

Satoko's step sequence. Laughable! You are talking as if Satoko is Asada or Medvedeva level of step sequence. I don't remember ever been impressed by it. I would also return the challenge and let Satoko do Shcherbakova's program. These girl can't even land her tiny triples what chance does she have of landing quads and a3-3Lo in the 2nd half.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Satoko's step sequence. Laughable! You are talking as if Satoko is Asada or Medvedeva level of step sequence. I don't remember ever been impressed by it. I would also return the challenge and let Satoko do Shcherbakova's program. These girl can't even land her tiny triples what chance does she have of landing quads and a3-3Lo in the 2nd half.

Uhhh...Medvedeva level? As in, she’s a standard for step sequences? Even though Satoko has much better skating skills (hopefully you know what that is now) AND musicality + attention to detail? :confused: Yes, Evgenia does have great step sequences, but they’re not quite the best yet. As for Mao Asada, she’s at another level since she can beat even the men with her legendary step sequences. But Satoko is also very talented in that area, and there are MANY instances when she fits the criteria for a +5 (or +3 before 2018-19).

It’s funny that so many people corrected you on what skating skills actually are, but now you’re suddenly trying to disregard that and bashing on her jumps as if figure skating is only about jumps :dumb: