Why Did They Get Rid of Spirals As A Requirement In Ladies Skating? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Why Did They Get Rid of Spirals As A Requirement In Ladies Skating?

NaVi

Medalist
If skaters don't have to do a spiral then they won't work on spirals. A good spiral requires good glide and poise which is good to work on and good to have outside the spiral.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
It is sexist because it promotes the myth that all women are flexible. They are not, just not all men are inflexible (hello, Jason?).

Huh, I think that it emphasizes the idea that women are more flexible than men overall and at peak athletic performance (which I believe is true given the evidence), not that all women are flexible (which is extremely incorrect).

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
I find it to be the opposite: that women are actually better than men when it comes to this spin because they are more flexible in general at peak athleticism and I have no problem highlighting that. Much how women I think are just better at balance beam than men are, but I don't ask that the entire event be eliminated because the apparatus is somehow sexist.

:eek:topic: There are a few men who tried beam for fun with minimal training, and their skills are so much better (better amplitude etc.) than the women's (examples). So no, women are not better than men at beam. The difference is that they are actually training it, while it doesn't even exist as an event in men's gymnastics. So naturally there's more variety and creativity when women do beam.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
:eek:topic: There are a few men who tried beam for fun with minimal training, and their skills are so much better (better amplitude etc.) than the women's (examples). So no, women are not better than men at beam. The difference is that they are actually training it, while it doesn't even exist as an event in men's gymnastics. So naturally there's more variety and creativity when women do beam.

Ah, that's good to hear! It would be interesting to see what would happen if men trained uneven bars and beam, and see if women trained parallel bars, rings, and pommel horse.

I guess the question is whether or not any sport should be completely even between women and men for gender equality on all fronts or if it's okay if the two genders have different elements.

JSM

On the Ice
A good spiral doesn’t require extreme flexibility, no more so than the spin variations everyone is already training. It requires strength, edge control, and practice, and we won’t see good spirals if they aren’t really rewarded. I love the move, both watching it and doing it. My flexibility is rather average in my advanced skating age but a good spiral makes a good statement if performed to the music!

USFS testing structure requires spirals in several levels of MITF, for both men and women alike.