Why Did They Get Rid of Spirals As A Requirement In Ladies Skating? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Why Did They Get Rid of Spirals As A Requirement In Ladies Skating?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More scratch spins:agree: :dance3:

I miss Tim Dolensky, master of the headless scratch spin :sad21:

lizardlass

On the Ice
I wish that more skaters did spirals, but I'm glad they are no longer required for ladies. I remember when they had to do three positions and hold each one for several seconds. (The 2005-2008-ish era?) It was glorious when a skater excelled at spirals, but ghastly when they did not. I do think that a beautiful spiral should be rewarded with more points.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would like the ISU to consider adding specific Choreo elements in singles - a choreo spiral (which I think they had for one year), a choreo spin, a choreo jump series, etc. A choreo layback spin would be lovely so that skaters can do something other than side layback, then catchfoot, then Biellmann. Just a general choreo spin in and of itself would allow for more scratch spins.

No requirements. Nothing that requires spirals or laybacks. Optional only.

Oreo

On the Ice
Nicole Bobek had the best spirals—ever. In fact, hers were so good Michelle had to step up the quality of her own.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I agree with Karne in that I don't think it should be required but it is nice to see one well done. If you can do a nice one then I think the judges will reward you for one. I think there are men who do nice spirals right? Jason Brown springs to mind but there are others.

My only wish about spirals is that if you are going to do it that you hold it for more than 2 seconds. Let us enjoy the moment a bit.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I agree with Karne in that I don't think it should be required but it is nice to see one well done. If you can do a nice one then I think the judges will reward you for one. I think there are men who do nice spirals right? Jason Brown springs to mind but there are others.

My only wish about spirals is that if you are going to do it that you hold it for more than 2 seconds. Let us enjoy the moment a bit.

I agree it ought to be optional. Not everyone has the flexibility to do it nicely. Besides, spirals are expected to be done on an edge, otherwise, it can’t really spiral down. Being able to control the edge and hold the positions will reap rewards in both the CO, TR and also the SS.

meem

On the Ice
Well, the lack of great spirals is one of the reasons why I no longer watch ladies (except for Nationals, Worlds & the Olympics). Because, if some vapid song (with equally vapid lyrics) is playing, how can you insert a magnificent spiral and, God forbid, a change edge spiral? They're both extremely difficult to do well but hey, the jumps are more important & more exciting. I still love competitive figure skating but have moved on to ice dance.

rlopen

On the Ice
This is way I say I'd love to see Zagitova do a non-manic program. Her programs are not really enjoyable to watch (Russian programs haven't been for a number of years) and I'd like to see her try her hand at a really beautiful program that suits whatever her skating style actually is. I have a feeling she has something in her besides her usual seizure-on-ice program.

Go watch Anastasiia Gubanova and tell me you don’t like any Russian programs.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I think execution/quality should be rewarded more than quantity, so then we will see moves that aren't rushed.
Aside from spirals, one of the most painful things to watch is a poorly executed ina bauer that lasts for like a blink. I'm sure skaters can perform way better than that.

Kamila's ina bauer in the FS.. What she can actually do.

macy

Record Breaker
I think execution/quality should be rewarded more than quantity, so then we will see moves that aren't rushed.
Aside from spirals, one of the most painful things to watch is a poorly executed ina bauer that lasts for like a blink. I'm sure skaters can perform way better than that.

i do want to chime in and say that bauer in her program REALLY irks me. i don't see the point in it being included in the choreography because it's literally held for half a second. what purpose does it serve?

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
No requirements. Nothing that requires spirals or laybacks. Optional only.

I wouldn't mind an unleveled choreo layback spin in the short. I just find the spins to be too similar between all the skaters and it has turned a once classic and beautiful element into a contorted version of itself that's more about how fast you can do a Biellmann at the end than the actual layback. (It has also effectively cut out the Biellmann from the combo spin since it's an extra feature for the layback.) Otherwise, yeah, the addition of a choreo spin in the free would do wonders to wow the crowd.

Globetrotter

Medalist

Such a pity for the blink and it will be gone Ina Bauer. Same for the spirals which is why I rather they all be optional in the choreo sequence. A well done spiral sequence element perhaps cannot score you the sort of points that a jump can bring, but it can indirectly add to the TR and also the SS if the edge control and change of edge is good, plus add to the choreo. It can be a nice PCS point booster. Still, there are very few skaters who can do a spiral at high level edge control plus the extension and line beauty like Michelle Kwan.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wouldn't mind an unleveled choreo layback spin in the short. I just find the spins to be too similar between all the skaters and it has turned a once classic and beautiful element into a contorted version of itself that's more about how fast you can do a Biellmann at the end than the actual layback. (It has also effectively cut out the Biellmann from the combo spin since it's an extra feature for the layback.) Otherwise, yeah, the addition of a choreo spin in the free would do wonders to wow the crowd.

No. No requirement. It feeds into the sexist view that all women are flexible.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
No. No requirement. It feeds into the sexist view that all women are flexible.

I find it to be the opposite: that women are actually better than men when it comes to this spin because they are more flexible in general at peak athleticism and I have no problem highlighting that. Much how women I think are just better at balance beam than men are, but I don't ask that the entire event be eliminated because the apparatus is somehow sexist.

ruga

Final Flight
i do want to chime in and say that bauer in her program REALLY irks me. i don't see the point in it being included in the choreography because it's literally held for half a second. what purpose does it serve?

Same, I'd really love her program if not for that Ina Bauer (also, there is another spiral that isn't exactly held for a long time and ends just as she gets into position). One could say that it's an 'easy' difficult entrance into the jump, but she does steps after, so the bullet would be awarded anyway. Maybe the choreographer thought that it fits the music (it kinda does, but a long one would fit even better). Kamila has such beautiful lines, a good spiral across the rink could be a true wow moment.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I find it to be the opposite: that women are actually better than men when it comes to this spin because they are more flexible in general at peak athleticism and I have no problem highlighting that.

It is sexist because it promotes the myth that all women are flexible. They are not, just not all men are inflexible (hello, Jason?).

Tutto

Record Breaker
I would give anything to see Sasha's spirals again so many copies but the original is still the best!