2019 Cup of China: Day 2 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Cup of China: Day 2

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Magic happened.

Keegan Messing. As I watched his opening moves and saw a close-up of his face, I thought of Obiwan Kenobe saying, "Reach out with your feelings." That's what I think Keegan did today from the first moment of his free skate, to the nth degree. His emotions met mine half way, and presto change-oh, I was right there on the ice with him, through the magic of broadcasting, in real time. My second ah-ha moment was somewhere in the second half of his program, when I realized that I'd completely forgotten about his earlier bobbles and even a fall. They didn't matter, because Keegan had the program inside himself, and all he had to do was let it come out. I realized then that this is almost always true of Keegan's skating. Unless he's in a free-fall fest (which distracts even me) he keeps so true to the vision of his skate that I see the perfection in all the imperfections. And the music was inside him as well, all he had to do was live it. I have to mention also that the time he took to do a full circle spread eagle and then hydroplane are so well worth it! The crowd roars; it's an emotional high. Another "where'd that come from?" moment is when he hangs in the air at the beginning of his Flying Sit Spin.

Boyang Jin. Before today, I kept wishing that Boyang would bring back Spiderman, and I probably still do. But he drew me in at points with The Path of Silence and Yellow Moon. I think you have to know or pay attention to the announcement of the music to get why the shirt works. When I hadn't paid attention, the yellow streaks seemed sickly; but when I knew, the yellow streaks became pathways of pale golden moonlight lighting up earth from the heavens. As far as being with him on the ice, that was in and out, probably because he was concentrating on jumping. (that can happen with or without quads, so it isn't a quads vs. no-quads question) It wasn't Keegan-level magic, but there were flashes of it. When Boyang, and also Nathan Chen, jump quads, something in their faces reminds me of my eldest son at age 15 or so. Like, you can magically see the 4-year-old wonder-child existing right alongside the grown boy/man.

Han Yan. Here's to La-La Land, the City of Stars, the Ones Who Dream. I fancied I could see him listening for that world from a distance, hearing it, and manifesting it with his really awesome skating. What's so extraordinary about Han Yan is the quality of his movement; everything is exquisite and fully felt from the inside out; in his bones. I was spellbound from the beginning few bars, because of his demeanor and bearing, as though he inhaled the music and the program and then exhaled so that he could share it with me. (yes ... not with us, but with me! LOL) He fulfilled the promise of the short program. Because he's certain of his priorities, he makes me feel certain of him. One "wow!" moment was near the beginning, when he jumped a 3F-2T combo, and the triple flip came exactly on the moment of a whimsical, stand-out chord. (Yuka Sato and/or Kurt Browning note: #GeniusChoreography. Maybe they should be a team.) The whole program is a masterful, beautiful, and supremely balanced. Every arm or leg movement Han makes is balanced by another arm or leg. He reminds me of Katia Gordeeva; never an awkward position, always unceremonious but perfect. The choreographic sit spin near the end shows my favorite sit spin arm movements: angled, balanced but not rigidly so. At the end, he seemed to need to take a moment to come back from the parallel world that he'd created.

I was spellbound. :love::luv17::love::bow:
*leaves thread to go watch all three of these programs again with your words in mind* Thank you for this beautiful post.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I like that the judging seemed to uniformly strict for the singles disciplines this competition. (not that I agree with all their calls, but it seems that they are taking a hard look at edges and rotations for everyone)
-Giving clean jumpers like Han Yan and Boyang a chance to benefit from their correct technique as they should.

On the performance side, I'm also delighted that Satoko is finally being rewarded for the hard work she does perfecting each moment of her programs. -This is also mastery of figure skating. Unfortunately, I liked her programs last year much more than this year, but her efforts are no less and should be rewarded as her programs still stand out as beautiful, musical and queenly because of her mastery of skating skills and musical interpretation. Her jumps continue to be a headache to watch and judge. -But she was properly dinged on her URs so I can say with a full heart Congratulations on your Silver Satton!

I'm continuing to enjoy Hanee's return one competition at a time. I'm so pleased with his silver and want nothing more than for him to continue to show us his wonderful skating and huge jumps.

Boyang's 4lz is the Lutz to end all Lutzes and it's finally come back.
His programs this season are driving him to perform and emote in a new way and I like it!

Amber Glenn's FS kiss and cry was somehow really funny to me. What a delightful person. :luv17:

Back to back Sherlock music, with literal interpretation with matching costumes was also a bit of a laugh. -I wish Brendan and Keiji had not synced their pops. Unnecessary. :palmf:

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I was really happy for Chock & Bates winning the free dance. Sometimes Ice Dance can be ever so slightly unpredictable!

I was glad to see the return of Liza's free from last season. I think she enjoys performing it more too. It was nice to see her medal here :)
Anna was superb - but how is that massive bear going to get home?

A bit gutted for Keegan (although I think he'll get better towards Nationals) and Hawayek & Baker not making the podium, in the latter case I'm not sure if they were trying too hard not to make mistakes and ending up... not reaching the levels?

* One of these days we're going to see two clean and glorious skates from Marin and Camden, and the figure skating world will light up! *

gmcg

Rinkside
SO pleased that Liza went back to last season's FS. The new one was fine, but she clearly loves last season's and performs it to the rafters.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
SO pleased that Liza went back to last season's FS. The new one was fine, but she clearly loves last season's and performs it to the rafters.

If only she had done it earlier she might have had a chance for the GPF.

The difference between SA and here was crystal clear, a SB score even with a stumble on her Lutz and no 3-3.

gmcg

Rinkside
If only she had done it earlier she might have had a chance for the GPF.

The difference between SA and here was crystal clear, a SB score even with a stumble on her Lutz and no 3-3.

Selfishly, I wish she'd done it at SA. I was there and I adore this program and would have killed to see it live!

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Selfishly, I wish she'd done it at SA. I was there and I adore this program and would have killed to see it live!

I wish I had too! It is my joint favourite of hers. The other is her 2014-15 (Her multiple title winning season) FS.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
My highlights:

Sui/Han and the return of Han Yan.
The water bottles and the makeup
Sharing the Free Skates with all of you in the competition threads. You guys make watching way more fun. Even if I'm having to deal with attempted homicides in my living room.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
a bit of Kiss and Cry adorableness is popping up on my Instagram (note GSer's - Instagram is a bit of gold with getting performances up a lot sooner vs. Youtube), Anna's Chinese fans stepping up their game in the teddy bear department so quickly:
This is the size of a teddy bear thrown on the ice to her after the SP
The FS teddy bear that's not only bigger than Anna but bigger than Daniil as well

The FS bear is also now a meme

That second bear made me giggle. It is ridiculously huge, where on earth would she put it lol.
Also was that thrown down to the ice? Some poor little Chinese flower girl could have seen that coming towards her. Aaaarrrrgghhhh

No wonder it is a meme already, it is almost real life Bear size

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Highlights:
- Sui/Han invented and saved pairs skating.
- Yan Han is back.
- Boyang is back!
- Chock/Bates winning the free. That FD is the only one this season that I like more and more each time I see it and I'm glad they're being awarded accordingly.
- Wang/Liu coming the closest they've ever been to the podium! Maybe they really will be in a prime position for the Olympics if this continues. :yes:
- ANNA'S BEAR.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Ladies only :p

Congrats to Anna for another well-deserved win here! :clap: I loved the way that all of her jumps just soared across the ice (including the stunning quads even if they were dinged). Also loved the gigantic bear given to her. Looking at the protocols she left a lot of points on the table (!s on all four lutzes?!?!) so those (+posture) are things that her team should pay extra attention to heading into the final.

My initial reaction to seeing Satoko's PCS was literally "WHY ARE THEY SUDDENLY SCORING HER PCS PROPERLY???" :laugh: But I really hope this will be how things go from now on - she's been underscored for way too many years. Obviously there were UR issues in both skates (some uncalled too IMO) but her silver was definitely justified. I feel that her two programs still have some room for improvement, but the fact that they're already so polished this early in the season just comes to show how amazing of a skater she is.

Great comeback for Liza here. While I loved her FS last season, I'm just not a fan of skaters reusing programs that were already skated to their full potential several times. So I didn't quite enjoy her performance here as much as before, but I was still happy to see her rebound so well after so many disappointments this early in the season. It's a shame though because one less error could've placed her ahead of Satoko and VERY likely into the final.

Speaking of comebacks, our other 3A girl Young You was also exceptional. Both skates were more tentative than at Skate Canada, and understandably so considering that she was exhausted by the crazy schedule KSU puts onto their skaters. On the other hand, Young has never been a consistent skater, so I had a feeling that she was going to mess up quite badly in one way or another. Still glad to see such a great GP debut for her, even if she can't go to the final.

I thought Sofia's FS looked good at the test skates, so I was surprised to be very disappointed here. I don't mind the music (though it could be hilariously provocative at times), but the composition and interpretation displayed was pretty mediocre (and this is coming from a Sofia fan). It didn't help that the jumps were iffy too.

Just like last week, my scoring project for this event will be coming shortly! :biggrin:

I wish I had too! It is my joint favourite of hers. The other is her 2014-15 (Her multiple title winning season) FS.

Ahhh same! That 2014-15 FS and 2018-19 (now 20!) FS remain as my favourite programs from Liza.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*leaves thread to go watch all three of these programs again with your words in mind* Thank you for this beautiful post.

You're welcome. :) I hope you enjoyed them. I plan to be re-watching them for a long time.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Continuing on from last week, here is my scoring project for the ladies at COC. But first, quoting myself from last time...
Since I'm the lone judge here, GOEs for each element will be set values instead of means, and PCS will always end with a 0, so it'll be quite different from taking the average of 9 judges. Also, I initially judged live (or with no spoilers), so I did my best to mimic how these skates are really scored. Which means...
1) I didn't immediately replay elements during the performance, and usually didn't mark URs/edges unless they were very obvious in real-time. Like the judges, I waited until the slow-mo to pay closer attention to these elements.
2) For spin/step levels, I first went with whatever the TES box showed after the element was completed. Then when the protocols came out, I changed the levels to match whatever's on the protocol as I'm not too good with levels yet . This also applies to URs/edge calls that I didn't notice when watching live.
3) I also judged PCS before the actual scores were announced, so that I wouldn't be persuaded by the judges' PCS.

I judged the top 7 (excluding Amber - didn't have time, sorry!) but I'll just show the final scores for the top 4 and a few minor notes. The brackets contain placements and how much the score derives from the original.

1. Anna Shcherbakova 225.18 (-0.86)
SP: 38.68+33.40 = 72.08 (1) (-1.43)
Step sequence and flying camel GOEs were a bit lower. For the first time, I was very impressed with her artistry, and basically gave PCS identical to those of the judges.
FS: 88.70+64.40 = 153.10 (1) (+0.57)
The ! calls were unexpected, but on my following review I felt that the first three calls (both 4Lz and a triple) were warranted, while the last one looked good. Despite the ! calls, I still gave her lutzes higher GOEs than the judges did because of the massive height and distance they had. My TR mark was high, but SS and PE were just decent, while CO and IN were lower.

2. Satoko Miyahara 204.39 (-6.79)
SP: 31.14+35.00 = 66.14 (2) (-2.77)
Changed the 3Lo< into a 3Lo<<. It baffled me that the tech panel here didn't think of it as a downgrade. I also gave her higher GOEs for the spins (especially the combo - why isn't spinning in both directions rewarded more?). The program is not my cup of tea, but she does a good job performing it, and her SS are beautiful as always.
FS: 66.25+72.00 = 138.25 (3) (-4.02)
In addition to the URs already called, I added one on the first 3T, which explains the 3-point decrease. Other than that, my GOEs and PCS were basically in line with what the judges gave.

3. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 204.24 (-4.86)
SP: 34.31+31.40-1 = 64.71 (3) (-0.86)
Pretty much the same in TES. I thought the program had great potential, but now it just feels very lackluster.
FS: 75.13+64.40 = 139.53 (2) (-4.00)
TES was slightly lower, due to lower GOEs on her spins. SS and TR brought her PCS down, as I marked her pretty high in the other three areas.

4. Young You 196.18 (+4.37)
SP: 34.08+30.60-2 = 62.68 (7) (+1.19)
3A didn't seem UR to me, so I removed the call. Other than that, everything else was just the same.
FS: 72.90+61.60-1 = 133.50 (4) (+1.53)
I agreed with the <s on the 3A and the first 3T, but I thought the 3S and the second 3T were clean, so I removed the calls on those two. The program itself is pretty underwhelming and nothing special, hence the low PCS.

MintGreen

On the Ice
My take away of Cup of China:

Han Yan's comeback! The great skating skills and gorgeous 3A's are still there. I'm thrilled to see him stepping on the ice again, having delivered two beautiful programs, received highest PCS among the field, and, won the silver medal!

Congratulations to Boyang. He fought through the FS and won his first ever GP gold medal, in front of home crowd. What happened at the ending pose is hilarious.

Sui/Han's season debut and it showed what a champion level quality of skating and performance should be. Sui, please keep the FS program for the rest of the season.

Choke/Bakes FD: a very special program. Evan set up a stage for Madison and all my attention was on her.

Overall I think the technical panel and judges did a great job in making the edge and UR calls and in the scoring in general. A strict and consistent technical control like this is something I'd like to see and I hope it will become a norm in future judging.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Ladies and men only this time, not much glory in this competition, though.

Very happy to see Satoko do well - love the Little Queen's finish and commitment and interpretation!

And Matteo Rizzo's love letter to Javier Fernández (quoting others here) is getting more and more explicit. Pity about the Kevin in the SP.

But my fave was Han Yan. No quads, but particularly the FS was A Performance. Not a great fan of LaLa Land programs, but this one caught me from the first second. Using the hands in pockets as the Leitmotiv was lovely and I was half expecting him to be able to jump that way... Delighted to see him on the podium!

E

Merjan

On the Ice
My highlights of what I've seen were the FS of Satoko. I'm happy for her. The FS of Sui / Han, well done in 1st GP of the season. Matteo's FS, that's more like it and a bronze for him, nice. And the lovely FD of Madison and Evan.

klena

On the Ice
My highlights of Cup of China

- Anna's total victory despite of !/e/ur massive attack on the Crystal girls
- Sinitsina/Katsalapov RD, for me the best RD of the season
- Choke/Bates FD and Madison's gorgeous dress
- Sui/Han's both programs