Women with glasses in Japan | Golden Skate

Women with glasses in Japan

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And this has what to do with Skating?

The banner at the top of “Le Café” states that this subforum is for general chat not related to the sport of figure skating:)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The banner at the top of “Le Café” states that this subforum is for general chat not related to the sport of figure skating:)

Thank you, el henry. For a minute there I thought I was having another false memory! :agree:

Ducky

On the Ice
Obviously I am not a lawyer, and even if I were I wouldn't know the ins and outs of Japanese law (which I don't think is covered in American law school), but this is some BS. It's not just health issues, there's no practical reason why they should insist on it.

Fun fact: if you have to have corrective lenses or contacts in the US you're technically a protected class and if your employer were to tell you that you had to wear contacts or else lose your job you could probably start a discrimination suit against them. (Hooray mandatory anti-harassment training).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Obviously I am not a lawyer, and even if I were I wouldn't know the ins and outs of Japanese law (which I don't think is covered in American law school), but this is some BS. It's not just health issues, there's no practical reason why they should insist on it.

Fun fact: if you have to have corrective lenses or contacts in the US you're technically a protected class and if your employer were to tell you that you had to wear contacts or else lose your job you could probably start a discrimination suit against them. (Hooray mandatory anti-harassment training).

Obviously, this whole Hair color/eye glasses/ high healed shoes thing wouldnt fly in the US. Its a cultural thing in Japan. And Culture has nothing to do with practicality.
It will be interesting to see if this story has "legs" No pun intended. It wasnt that long ago that if you were a woman and worked in a US Bank, you were required to wear high healed shoes. Now that the foot damage has been well documented, I pity the company that would have that dress code here.

Ducky

On the Ice
Obviously, this whole Hair color/eye glasses/ high healed shoes thing wouldnt fly in the US. Its a cultural thing in Japan. And Culture has nothing to do with practicality.
It will be interesting to see if this story has "legs" No pun intended. It wasnt that long ago that if you were a woman and worked in a US Bank, you were required to wear high healed shoes. Now that the foot damage has been well documented, I pity the company that would have that dress code here.

Well, some companies most certainly try.