Dream Grand Prix Locations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dream Grand Prix Locations

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Milan!
I also agree that the two European GP should rotate between other cities in Europe

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Selfishly, it would be my dream come true if Skate America was held in Pittsburgh, or at least somewhere within driving distance for me. Its very difficult for me travel long distances during GP season, so all of these West Coast destinations have been really cramping my style.

East coast would be nice. I think the rink in Providence, RI would be great. It's attached to a hotel and a mall. Everything in one location, much cheaper than Boston.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I second a GP in Australia! :) I know, I know it's super far for everyone, but it'd be pretty awesome...

There is the JGP sometimes, although it always seems to be up in Brisbane, which is still a fair distance from Sydney, nearly 1000km! I tell you, Europeans (except for Russians, I guess) have no concept of a long distances :p

concorde

Medalist
They'd be carrying skaters off the ice on stretchers.

Some altitudes (rounded to nearest 50 ft):

Salt Lake City. 4250 ft
Colorado Springs 6050 ft
Mexico City 7350 ft

At least you didn't suggest Cuzco, which is 11,150 ft.

Believe me, when you get off the plane in Cuzco, you feel like you've aged about 30 years. And that's not attempting anything athletic.
Mexico City also has bad air quality. Add that to elevation, you could have really dangerous conditions for skaters.

Fyi. Many skaters have exercise induced asthma. Having them skate there -yikes!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Either Spain or Italy instead of France. And in general, it would be nice if SA would just stick to major cities (like Vegas) instead of some of the provincial backwaters they've gone to. The attendance is never going to be that high, but it's a lot easier for people to make the trip if it's in a place easily accessed by a major airport and not in some remote suburb.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
London
Cologne
Berlin
Edinburgh
Amsterdam

I’m from Edinburgh. Murryfield Ice Rink is nice in that post war 50s kind of way (edit: I just checked it was build in 1938?! TIL) but not GP nice. Not enough seats and not enough facilities. Ayr would be good, they have an awesome ice rink but it’s unfortunately in the middle of nowhere comparatively.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Barcelona, Budapest, Strassbourg, anywhere in Ireland, England, or Scotland, Berlin, Helsinki.

Adding -- laughing about the high-altitude places like Cuzco. Our Cuzco hotel had oxygen tanks in the lobby for guests. Probably not a good place for a skating event. :laugh:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'd like to see an Event in Orlando Florida or Branson Missouri. Both of these cities have plenty for the entire family to do. I can sit through hours of skating but, it may not be fun for the entire family. This way, everyone has something to do.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I'd like to see an Event in Orlando Florida or Branson Missouri. Both of these cities have plenty for the entire family to do. I can sit through hours of skating but, it may not fun for the entire family. This way, everyone has something to do.

Orlando, Florida, I totally get that. A month-long holiday there was not enough to do everything I wanted!
But, pray tell, what kind of amazingly brilliant famous touristy things does Branson, Missouri have going for it? :slink: I mean, other than, presumably, your house? ;-)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Mexico City also has bad air quality. Add that to elevation, you could have really dangerous conditions for skaters.

Fyi. Many skaters have exercise induced asthma. Having them skate there -yikes!

Bermuda - might as well dream. Usually these posts don't occur until after the season. Dream dream dream

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Orlando, Florida, I totally get that. A month-long holiday there was not enough to do everything I wanted!
But, pray tell, what kind of amazingly brilliant famous touristy things does Branson, Missouri have going for it? :slink: I mean, other than, presumably, your house? ;-)

First thing that comes up when you google it:

Branson is an Ozark town in southwest Missouri known as a family vacation destination. Its 76 Country Boulevard is famously lined with theaters, which once hosted mostly country music performers but today present diverse entertainment. Also along the strip are the Marvel Cave, the Wild West-style Dolly Parton’s Dixie Stampede Dinner Attraction and Silver Dollar City, an 1800s-themed amusement park with live music.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
SnowWhite: wow. Okay, consider me impressed. Funny how foreigners are always drawn to the east and west coasts, but the country of course has so much more to offer.
Hey, I’m game. I’m voting Missouri! ;-)

mrrice

Record Breaker

Branson has a ton of play houses and entertainment venues. It also has a beautiful amusement park called Silver Dollar City. The Osmond Family (If you're old enough) has a theater there as well. It's kind of like a mini Las Vegas ( Without Gambling )

Manitou

Medalist
After watching the completely emotionally dead audience at Cup of China I wish Grand Prix are anywhere where there is full and live audience. Canada, Russia, Japan, certain cities in the US (not all of them) - anywhere where there is life.
A bit off topic, you know, I don't care about bringing figure skating to Borneo or Venezuela. If we can establish ten countries that care about figure skating that would create enough financial and media foundation for the sport, so be it and I am for it! US, Canada, China, Japan, Russia, Italy, France, some few others. That's it.
Figure skating needs a rich visionary who can elevate this sport to mainstream - just like they did with tennis. Pull it from ISU, create own IFSU, attract media and sponsors. Convince them it's beneficial to invest in FS. Destroy this rigid ancient competition structure, destroy the power of national federations, create an open grand slam approach.
Anybody here with billions and energy?

Destroy this rigid ancient competition structure ...

This means abandoning the notion of figure skating as an Olympic sport. It is the certification of the ISU by the International Olympic Committee that dooms all rebellion and coups (such as the ill-fated World Skating Federation attempt in 2002).

Maybe after the Olympic Games concept collapses (too expensive -- no one is willing to host it).

Manitou

Medalist
This means abandoning the notion of figure skating as an Olympic sport. It is the certification of the ISU by the International Olympic Committee that dooms all rebellion and coups (such as the ill-fated World Skating Federation attempt in 2002).

Maybe after the Olympic Games concept collapses (too expensive -- no one is willing to host it).

Tennis DOES exist in the Olympics and ATP/WTA have agreements with IOC.

Tennis DOES exist in the Olympics and ATP/WTA have agreements with IOC.

What I mean is, if a new way to organize figure skating came along the organizers would not be able to pry the Olympic franchise away from the ISU.

Of course, yeah, if someone had billions to invest, money talks. Especially to IOC members. ;)