Dream Grand Prix Locations | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Dream Grand Prix Locations

jvpiter

Rinkside
Terrible me...I forgot to mention Portugal. Both Lisbon and Porto are great. And, if you can make it, a day trip to Obidos is just incredible! And, obviously, Germany. Welcoming to visitors all around. Bavaria, anyone?

Afaik, all we have are those smaller ice rinks during the Christmas season, so we’d have to build something suited to international competition, but that shouldn’t be a problem.

It would be great if an event like this made figure skating on ice popular enough a major club would want to build and maintain a proper semi-permanent ice rink and develop the sport in this country.

As for foreign countries, Spain would be very convenient of course, especially Madrid, Barcelona or Galiza. I’d also love to attend a GP event in Poland or some other country in Central Europe.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
London. O2 arena - though that is probably fanciful - it'd be fine for Worlds. I think SSE Wembley Arena is a bit smaller. Probably still too big for a GP, but possibly GPF? Both venues have hosted temporary rinks for ice shows, and, I think, hockey matches.

London gets big crowds for just about any sporting event.

My dream would be the SSE Hydro in Glasgow. They’ve held Disney on Ice there so I know they can have ice and the Gymnastics Worlds were there once so I know it’s a good at holding events. Edinburgh and Glasgow airport are very close - perfect.

The O2 held Disney on Ice too but NISA have a thing against London.

islandpaddler

On the Ice
Country
US-Virgin-Islands
Selfishly, it would be my dream come true if Skate America was held in Pittsburgh, or at least somewhere within driving distance for me. Its very difficult for me travel long distances during GP season, so all of these West Coast destinations have been really cramping my style.

Skate America was at least once if not twice in Reading, Penn. and at least once in Atlantic City, N.J. I went to one in Reading and one in Atlantic City. So, a precedence has been set.

There are lots of possibilities in Florida. That would be great for me. Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Tampa have easily accessible airports.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skate America was at least once if not twice in Reading, Penn. and at least once in Atlantic City, N.J. I went to one in Reading and one in Atlantic City. So, a precedence has been set.

Reading, PA in 2003 & 2007, Atlantic City, NJ in 2005!

vespervioletta, we would :luv17: for Skate America to come back to Pittsburgh (wasn't it there in 1994?)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nobody actually suggested Cuzco. I just threw it out as being worse, much worse, than Mexico City.

Our Cuzco hotel was more low tech; instead of oxygen, they offered us coca tea and a team of people to carry our luggage up the many flights of stairs.

I figured you weren't serious, but it definitely brought back memories of people gasping in the lobby!!!!!:drama:

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Reading, PA in 2003 & 2007, Atlantic City, NJ in 2005!

vespervioletta, we would :luv17: for Skate America to come back to Pittsburgh (wasn't it there in 1994?)

I had to check Wikipedia, but yes! It was also there at some point in the mid-2000s. I’ve never been inside the new arena, so I’m not sure how conducive it would be to a figure skating event, but I’m sure it’s fine, if not better than Mellon.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SOI Christmas show will be held next month at the new Santander arena in Reading. With Canadian and American skaters. :agree:

But the Saturday after Christmas I have obligations, so we will see.

If they had SA in Reading again, I would :hap10: but Reading is not exactly a tourist Mecca. It has the decided benefit of being 40 miles from my house:yay:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
W
SOI Christmas show will be held next month at the new Santander arena in Reading. With Canadian and American skaters. :agree:

If they had SA in Reading again, I would :hap10: but Reading is not exactly a tourist Mecca. It has the decided benefit of being 40 miles from my house:yay:

You should try to go, El. You’ll see some familiar faces there, I promise!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
W

;)

Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc:luv17: Piper and Paul :luv17: Meryl and Charlie:luv17: Ice Dance alone is worth it. :thumbsup: but why Reading, of all places:scratch:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
;)

Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc:luv17: Piper and Paul :luv17: Meryl and Charlie:luv17: Ice Dance alone is worth it. :thumbsup: but why Reading, of all places:scratch:

Because their preference is always Hershey PA but it was taken already by events.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My dream would be the SSE Hydro in Glasgow. They’ve held Disney on Ice there so I know they can have ice and the Gymnastics Worlds were there once so I know it’s a good at holding events. Edinburgh and Glasgow airport are very close - perfect.

The O2 held Disney on Ice too but NISA have a thing against London.

Does Glasgow have Olympic size ice?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Does Glasgow have Olympic size ice?

No but the Hydro can be set up for it. It wouldn’t the Frist time an event space has been used for skating. I think the only true Olympic rink in Scotland is Dundee, Murryfield and Ayr. All are Ice Arenas but I’ll google it.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had to check Wikipedia, but yes! It was also there at some point in the mid-2000s. I’ve never been inside the new arena, so I’m not sure how conducive it would be to a figure skating event, but I’m sure it’s fine, if not better than Mellon.

We were there for the 2016 Family Skating Show Tribute. It's now called the PP&G Paints Arena. This is the venue for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

W

We'll be there for the SOI Holiday show! I :luv17: that it's a USA/Canada cast!

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We were there for the 2016 Family Skating Show Tribute. It's now called the PP&G Paints Arena. This is the venue for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

We'll be there for the SOI Holiday show! I :luv17: that it's a USA/Canada cast!

Who is in the cast?

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
East coast would be nice. I think the rink in Providence, RI would be great. It's attached to a hotel and a mall. Everything in one location, much cheaper than Boston.

What a great idea. I never thought of that. Providence would be a beautiful city to hold it in. I do love Boston, though. Its not too big and easy to get around in if you use public transportation. (Much better than driving!)

GP Barcelona would also be amazing. I don't know if that is possible with the current political state. I'm sure you European posters have a better idea of whether or not a GP event would be affected.

ISU should put CoC in Pyeongchang or some other Korean location for one year and see how it goes.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What a great idea. I never thought of that. Providence would be a beautiful city to hold it in. I do love Boston, though. Its not too big and easy to get around in if you use public transportation. (Much better than driving!)

GP Barcelona would also be amazing. I don't know if that is possible with the current political state. I'm sure you European posters have a better idea of whether or not a GP event would be affected.

ISU should put CoC in Pyeongchang or some other Korean location for one year and see how it goes.

They offered the event to Korea last year when China pulled out, but stuff with the federation was kind of a mess (from what I heard), so they declined it and Finland got it instead.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
East coast would be nice. I think the rink in Providence, RI would be great. It's attached to a hotel and a mall. Everything in one location, much cheaper than Boston.

I was checking this out, and it sounds great. Lots of hotels also within .1, .2 miles walking distance. That's always a plus.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was checking this out, and it sounds great. Lots of hotels also within .1, .2 miles walking distance. That's always a plus.

It really is a good location. Providence or Boston airport work. Lots of restaurants. And the mall has a movie theater too.