2019 Judging and Tech calls discussion | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019 Judging and Tech calls discussion

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Do you think these examples should inspire them? They have a different orientation.
Comparing 23-year-old Bell and 13-year-old Usacheva (we will not talk about Valieva ), they can come to other conclusions. For the extra 10 years in figure skating, Bell approached the level of a Junior https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=307&v=Vo9aBioHniA . Once in her entire career.
No, they have to find another motivation. I hope they come up with something.

There is no comparison, no idea why you're making one.

Darya is a first year junior, Mariah has had several years in seniors.

"Only approached the level of a junior once in her entire career" sounds like quite the insult.

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
There is no comparison, no idea why you're making one.

Darya is a first year junior, Mariah has had several years in seniors.

"Only approached the level of a junior once in her entire career" sounds like quite the insult.

I don't want to offend anyone. Bell skated very well. But life goes on. What was good yesterday will not be so tomorrow. I wish everyone progress and good mood.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Bell in her best times could easily win Olympics in 198x. So?
The generations come and go.
FS is not a Javelins Athletics and there is no necessity of changing skates to make jumps harder to keep some limits. Like it happened with the javelin in athletics, after the world record passed 100m, making it dangerous to compete in arenas.

FS evolves slower or faster but evolves.
And 10 years of evolution is a great push. Don't disrespect those who started 10y ago.

starla16

Medalist
Tuk was underscored but silver was within her reach but didn't grab the opportunity, Satoko made the most it it even with URs and her tiny jumps

skatenewbie

Medalist
Sad that Liza wont be at GPF. If she didnt botch that 3Lz and 3F in her FS she should be over Miyahara, well its too late! Im kind of surprised they give Miyahara high PCS (deservedly so), but i thought Liza will have the edge because usually Satoko got 68/69 not 72. Probably it will come down between Miyahara and Tennell now. Miyahara sure can get silver/bronze in CoR but could also place 4th, id give it to Miyahara right now

starla16

Medalist
Sad that Liza wont be at GPF. If she didnt botch that 3Lz and 3F in her FS she should be over Miyahara, well its too late! Im kind of surprised they give Miyahara high PCS (deservedly so), but i thought Liza will have the edge because usually Satoko got 68/69 not 72. Probably it will come down between Miyahara and Tennell now. Miyahara sure can get silver/bronze in CoR but could also place 4th, id give it to Miyahara right now

Miyahara got huge PCS and GOE to make up for UR but she competed in neutral event
Tennell had an inflated score at SA that Liza was pushed over for bronze. Ill give the GPF to Miyahara

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
What bothers me is that panels got ‘selectively’ strict. Mkay, if you’re strict, be strict with everyone. Blatant flutzes of some still get just an ! or get ignored, most flat edges (Satoko, etc) are ignored completely. But then Anna gets dinged for her flat edges alone, Alina gets a call on non-existent flutz and people try make sense of it by talking about cameras, angles bla bla.
Regardless of the camera, it just isn’t fair.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
What bothers me is that panels got ‘selectively’ strict. Mkay, if you’re strict, be strict with everyone. Blatant flutzes of some still get just an ! or get ignored, most flat edges (Satoko, etc) are ignored completely. But then Anna gets dinged for her flat edges alone, Alina gets a call on non-existent flutz and people try make sense of it by talking about cameras, angles bla bla.
Regardless of the camera, it just isn’t fair.

Anna's Lutz edge turns flat before she even picks her toe in while Satoko's still has a minimal outside edge when she picks in. The calls were fair. They showed both girl's Lutzes from the front in the replay. See for yourself.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Anna's Lutz edge turns flat before she even picks her toe in while Satoko's still has a minimal outside edge when she picks in. The calls were fair. They showed both girl's Lutzes from the front in the replay. See for yourself.

I saw the replays and I am standing by my opinion.

readernick

Medalist
The moment Anna picks in
https://imgur.com/IESBEdY

The moment Satoko picks in
https://imgur.com/rtNdynW

For me personally, I can see a slight outside edge on Satoko's Lutz.

I would agree. Satoko certain does not have a deep outside edge (like Liza or Rika) but it does look slightly outside. It is not ideal technique but it is outside enough to avoid the !. Anna's edge is definitely flat. Additionally, her team knows she has a flat edge and still puts 4 lutz jumps in her freeskate. It is like a challenge to the tech callers. Often tech callers will not call a skater with an e or ! if they only include one Lutz in their program but if they include 2 they will get called. Anna has 4.

Pantsu

On the Ice
I was surprised to see such a good score for Tuktik. Satoko had to deliver a relatively clean perfomance, her Lutz edge looks slightly outside, so no call seems fair

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I had to play them sbs to get a better look and to me, they look like they're on the exact same edge. Anna's and Satoko's look very flat. The camera angle was different for the two, but if you look just at their blade you'll see that neither was slightly outside. And then of course Sofia's looked inside to me but she didn't even get an ! either, but I think she should've gotten an e.

Sofia and Satoko had many URs or potential URs even the judges and tech panel couldn't seem to get them all down.
If any take take off edges were overlooked it does not surprise me, with so many jumps under review for UR in the limited time they have to actually review them.

I think we are too hard on judges and tech panels sometimes, whatever reason we have to disagree with them.
They are under a lot of pressure to not make mistakes and to get things right, much like the skaters they judge.

Not only that but they only have a few minutes to make these decisions in the first place.

I disagree with them sometimes but I try to remember it is not an easy job. We can all sit at home and play judge ourselves, but would we be able to handle the job for real without error?

I know I wouldn't.