FFKKR appealed to ISU over inconsistency in judging at the GP stages | Page 7 | Golden Skate

FFKKR appealed to ISU over inconsistency in judging at the GP stages

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
First of all some transparency: what are the 'calling for inspection' rules, who pressed the buttons for a video review, screenshots from the reviewed video clearly showing the faulty edge or rotational error?

ISU World Cup in short track skating is going on, with strong participants from my country, so I watch with pleasure. And since there are lots of violations of right of way, pushing and pulling, falls in short track, there are referees in various positions, there is a video review room. One can see the referees in operation, see the footage they use, listen in on them and watch the head referee dole out penalties. Everything is shown on the big screens in the arena too, so the whole refereeing seems quite transparent.

In figure skating, when you have a seat directly behing the tech panel you can watch them, look at their small screens, listen to them even, but I don't think they really appreciate 'being watched over their shoulder'. Esp. those that consider themselves 'deities' with all the pump and circumstance.

Good example with short track skating. But this is also ISU. They can when they want

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I agree ignoring URs on 3-3s is ignoring URs. Did I say otherwise? Ask Sasha Cohen about 2-foot landings. I would say they cost her a few National Championships.

She had some really really weird looking unmissable two foot landings, I was watching her 2010 Nationals FS not long ago and she had more than one of those bizarre landings of hers, I can't even describe them properly. I think the main reason she lost important title chances was rarely ever skating a clean FS without at least one stumble or fall.

Plisskin

Medalist
You mean like Mirai Nagasu, all of whose jumps were put under a microscope and whose PCS never rose above the low 8s, no matter what she did? I remember the ridiculous gap in scoring at the Olympic team event between her and Zagitova, even after she had a 3A and no UR calls. Who else? Bradie, who has not exactly impressed the international judges? Mariah, same? If the US is benefiting so much, why aren't their ladies winning?
And this is why I don't take Russians seriously with their conspiracy theory that everyone is against them. And they of course won't address you in this thread.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
And this is why I don't take Russians seriously with their conspiracy theory that everyone is against them. And they of course won't address you in this thread.

I think they guy has responded to jenaj, saying he didn’t have Mirai in mind, and thinks she’s like Gubanova, a Russian skater that’s also scored not very favorably. (But his comment got deleted, I presume for the latter part where he said someone was trolling).

Also, I’d ask not to generalize Russians as a whole or round them up into something generic, you know, there might be people who think there’s something, others don’t think so.
I’m not even russian myself, but I do think it’s not very nice to even imply someone’s nationality and attach some negative meaning to it.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker

I agree judging should be fair and equally strict on all skaters
But you just do not see this endless amount of whining and conspiracy talk if it is about non Russian skaters.

I'm not generalizing, it's an observation from the various threads here.
It's not even just Russians or all Russians. It is just that it is about Russians

Apart from of course Sotnikova/Kim. That was far more insane than anything here.

There was a half baked attempt by the Korean fed at complaining about Sochi ladies results, but that's just about it.

Perhaps that is one reason Russia is hardly going to get much sympathy from elsewhere with this protest.

Although I did think Sotnikova actually deserved to win, she was over scored, what's the point in denying it. I just dont think it was a conspiracy or anything.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
A good first step, in my opinion (and the simplest and most natural, which does not require any additional costs), is public access to the cameras of the technical panel and the process of work of technical controllers. It’s obvious to me that the best way to reduce corruption and bias is to make the judgment process as transparent as possible. They publish detailed transcripts; judges are no longer impersonal. It's time to take the next step. Or are they afraid that this will blow up the existing FS system? Myths about trained technicians and special viewing angles inaccessible to anyone will disappear. "Strict" technical panels that come up with nonexistent and "soft" ones that do not notice flagrant violations will disappear. What do you think?

I much prefer strict panels over soft ones. Even at GP France, where we all agree the panel was pretty tough, I'd say I strongly disagreed with only one call: Alena's 3A in the SP. Even that jump wasn't really all the way around, just close enough that I thought it should have gotten full credit. Fortunately, she won anyway.

The problem with less stringent panels is that they aren't evenly critical with the calls. Skaters who have a reputation for being short on rotation get the vast majority of close < calls, whereas those are overlooked for others.

Manitou

Medalist
This whole thing appears to me like in a kids recreational soccer tournament the referees are calling random PK against the dominant team to give more chances to weaker teams.
Imagine a skiing event the judges are adding an extra 1/2 second to Mikaela Shiffrin's times to help bring others to the top.
The same with all those "concerns" about quads. If you can't quad then train harder, rather than disallowing others to quad, simply because you can't do it.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
It's mainly Russia because they have the best skaters by a wide margin. But it is not only them in every instance but it is that in most instances.

I don't agree. Over recent years they've benefitted from it more than not.
I even wonder if the backlash from that has something to do with the stricter judging, even only subconsciously

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
This whole thing appears to me like they are trying to administratively undermine Russian domination. It's like in a soccer tournament the referees are calling random PK against the dominant team to give more chances to weaker teams. Or in skiing event the judges are adding an extra 1/2 second to Mikaela Shiffrin's times to help bring others to the top.
The same with all those "concerns" about quads. If you can't quad then train harder, rather than disallowing others to quad, simply because you can't do it.

P*** poor job of it so far if that is the aim, because these ultra talented Russian girls are wiping the floor with everyone else by a wide margin so far

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I much prefer strict panels over soft ones. Even at GP France, where we all agree the panel was pretty tough, I'd say I strongly disagreed with only one call: Alena's 3A in the SP. Even that jump wasn't really all the way around, just close enough that I thought it should have gotten full credit. Fortunately, she won anyway.

The problem with less stringent panels is that they aren't evenly critical with the calls. Skaters who have a reputation for being short on rotation get the vast majority of close < calls, whereas those are overlooked for others.

I prefer fair for all without exception.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In figure skating, when you have a seat directly behing the tech panel you can watch them, look at their small screens, listen to them even, but I don't think they really appreciate 'being watched over their shoulder'. Esp. those that consider themselves 'deities' with all the pump and circumstance.

Of course we don't like having people watch over our shoulders. We're trying to work and concentrate without worrying who's family member or rabid fan is tracking our every move and word ready to flip if we do something that might have an adverse effect on their darling.

Whether people like it or not, Russia has a point here. The calling has been stupidly inconsistent, especially this year. I'm 100% in favour of very strict panels - as long as they're strict on EVERYONE.

Plus, the ISU has to realise it's not a good look to have such wildly inconsistent calling.

Plisskin

Medalist
I agree judging should be fair and equally strict on all skaters
But you just do not see this endless amount of whining and conspiracy talk if it is about non Russian skaters.

I'm not generalizing, it's an observation from the various threads here.
It's not even just Russians or all Russians. It is just that it is about Russians

Apart from of course Sotnikova/Kim. That was far more insane than anything here.

There was a half baked attempt by the Korean fed at complaining about Sochi ladies results, but that's just about it.

Perhaps that is one reason Russia is hardly going to get much sympathy from elsewhere with this protest.

Although I did think Sotnikova actually deserved to win, she was over scored, what's the point in denying it. I just dont think it was a conspiracy or anything.
I think there is a lot of eyerolling in this thread is because it's just funny coming from them, especially when mistakes in their skaters and/ or their deficiencies have by and large been given moreso the benefit of the doubt or overlooked in many cases over most countries. Mainly in ladies which their Fed ironically is complaining about. I do agree that judging should be more consistent across the board. I do give them that.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Of course we don't like having people watch over our shoulders. We're trying to work and concentrate without worrying who's family member or rabid fan is tracking our every move and word ready to flip if we do something that might have an adverse effect on their darling.

Whether people like it or not, Russia has a point here. The calling has been stupidly inconsistent, especially this year. I'm 100% in favour of very strict panels - as long as they're strict on EVERYONE.

Plus, the ISU has to realise it's not a good look to have such wildly inconsistent calling.

I do not understand this. If you are an adult and do not work under duress, you must be responsible for your actions. In any field of activity. Judges are no exception. To hide refereeing behind a screen is a way to a dead end and the dense Middle Ages.

readernick

Medalist
I think there is a lot of eyerolling in this thread is because it's just funny coming from them, especially when mistakes in their skaters and/ or their deficiencies have by and large been given moreso the benefit of the doubt or overlooked in many cases over most countries. Numerous examples have been listed in this thread. I do agree that judging should be more consistent across the board. I do give them that.

There is no doubt that judging should be more consistent. However, it is quite ironic that they complain about "consistency" only after their skaters get called for things that have been overlooked for a long time. Thus, the eyerolling.

If people really want fair judging (and I am not sure they do ( the Russian federation wasn't happy with the fair edge calls)), the technical panel needs better equipment. They also need to be able to review each jump in slow-mo. This will take more time and a lot of skaters will get called. (including every almost Russian skater with the exception of possibly Trusova and Tuk, and even they might get URs..Tuk might get edge calls on her flip) Is this what the Russian fed really wants? It is what I want, but I doubt it is what the Russian federation wants or the ISU.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
So this is all about one call- Alina’s 3Lz e in the short program? I reviewed every call meticulously and everything else was fair in my opinion. If Alyona’s 3A in the short was past the 90 degree mark the call was made up for by the fact that at least one of her 3As in the free could have been considered under but were not called...

I call it whining because the argument they’re making is so juvenile. Like, “omg our skaters never got these calls before so surely it means they don’t have edge or UR issues! The judges must be out to get them!” No, they never got them before because of overly lenient panels. Alina UR and edge issues and Alyona’s (to a lesser degree) edge issues have been ongoing. There were I think 11 calls in total and I believe most if not all could be considered fair, meaning they have some basis in fact whether people agree with them or not. The outrage over them was over the top.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist

Well I can agree with this but is it the argument RusFed is actually making? Like have they named any skaters from other federations that they believe should have received calls and didn’t? Or is it that their skaters didn’t deserve the calls they got? Because that’s where this feels really silly.

Plisskin

Medalist
There is no doubt that judging should be more consistent. However, it is quite ironic that they complain about "consistency" only after their skaters get called for things that have been overlooked for a long time. Thus, the eyerolling.

If people really want fair judging (and I am not sure they do ( the Russian federation wasn't happy with the fair edge calls)), the technical panel needs better equipment. They also need to be able to review each jump in slow-mo. This will take more time and a lot of skaters will get called. (including every almost Russian skater with the exception of possibly Trusova and Tuk, and even they might get URs..Tuk might get edge calls on her flip) Is this what the Russian fed really wants? It is what I want, but I doubt it is what the Russian federation wants or the ISU.
I definitely agree with you. This "conspiracy against Russians" bit grows tiring, especially after their ladies have so far won all GP's plus bronze or silver in each event. And that's not even taking into account the overlooked underrotations, wrong edges, and questionable pcs scores that have been received when so far generally in most of their careers, Mao Asada they are not. I mean really now all of this is just silly.

Imagine a skiing event the judges are adding an extra 1/2 second to Mikaela Shiffrin's times to help bring others to the top.

This is actually an interesting example. In ski jumping, several years ago Japanese skiers started winning big time. European skiing federations complained that the Japanese had an advantage because the athletes were smaller. So the international governing honchos changed the rule to give taller skiers a better chance to win.

Now the rule is, your skis must be no more than 45% longer than you are tall, and if you are thin (in terms of body mass index), then you must saw off your skis even more.

I propose the following rule for figure skating. If you weigh under 45 kilos, then your quad only counts as much as a larger skater's triple. :yes:

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
I propose the following rule for figure skating. If you weigh under 45 kilos, then your quad only counts as much as a larger skater's triple. :yes:

It's very smart. Points for any jumps should be multiplied by weight. This way some skaters would have almost 20% advantage over the smaller ones. That would be a winning factor...