FFKKR proposes to allow quadruple jumps in the short program for women | Golden Skate

FFKKR proposes to allow quadruple jumps in the short program for women

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

MOSCOW, November 12 - RIA Novosti, Anatoliy Samokhvalov. Aleksander Gorshkov, president of the Russian Figure Skating Federation, said the federation has asked the International Skating Union (ISU) to consider allowing quadruple jumps in the women's single skating short program.

The ISU Congress will be held in the summer of 2020 in Thailand.

"Our federation has initiated consideration of the issue of allowing quadruple jumps in the short program for women," Gorshkov said at a press conference.
"The change in the technical rules is as follows: proposals were sent until September, which our federation did. We are waiting for a response from the technical committee, which should follow before the start of the congress," added Aleksander Kogan, director general of the federation.
-----

Arbitrary

Medalist
They wait till more countries get involved in the Quad Battle.
And sorry, but having Kazakhstan is not enough.

NaVi

Medalist
I'm completely opposed for at least a couple more Olympic seasons. 2031 at the earliest. It would really screw up the competitive balance. A triple axel is an advantage but not a huge one and one that can easily be overcame by someone with two separate quads.

KRIKIC08

Rinkside
So the ISU doesnt care about the overall level of the competition and spectacularity of the sport.
It only obout protection of individual county interests.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Realistically, I can see this change happening after this current Olympic cycle. Too many other countries would reject this proposal at the moment.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I hope this proposal also included equalizing the PCS factor with the men. It’s crazy that 2 disciplines with the same requirements (once the quad is allowed in the SP) wouldn’t have the same PCS factoring. I think it would help their proposal gain more support too.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice

MOSCOW, November 12 - RIA Novosti, Anatoliy Samokhvalov. Aleksander Gorshkov, president of the Russian Figure Skating Federation, said the federation has asked the International Skating Union (ISU) to consider allowing quadruple jumps in the women's single skating short program.

The ISU Congress will be held in the summer of 2020 in Thailand.

"Our federation has initiated consideration of the issue of allowing quadruple jumps in the short program for women," Gorshkov said at a press conference.
"The change in the technical rules is as follows: proposals were sent until September, which our federation did. We are waiting for a response from the technical committee, which should follow before the start of the congress," added Aleksander Kogan, director general of the federation.
-----

Maybe they could compromise and allow up to one quad by requiring "a solo jump, any number of revolutions" - so the ladies could highlight their best solo jump, whether a quad or triple, but keep the jump combination a triple-triple or triple-double combination. That way a poorly executed quad with negative GOE could be scored similarly to a well-executed triple lutz or flip with positive GOE, or a very well done quad would receive the margin it deserves. But ladies without a quad would have hope of not being completely buried in the short, and those who are able to do a triple Axel could make up a lot of points with that.

Roast Toast

Medalist
What I never understand is why they banned it in the first place, when it wasn't even an issue?

It was never "banned", just had no reason to be allowed, since no lady was competing a quad. In a similar way you could say the 3A was only allowed as the solo axel in the ladies SP because Mao landed the 3A2T in the short in Vancouver, forcing their hands. I expect it to be allowed soon, the only question is whether they'll do it before the Olympics.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
It was never "banned", just had no reason to be allowed, since no lady was competing a quad. In a similar way you could say the 3A was only allowed as the solo axel in the ladies SP because Mao landed the 3A2T in the short in Vancouver, forcing their hands. I expect it to be allowed soon, the only question is whether they'll do it before the Olympics.

I have a feeling any restrictions in SP were always silly.
One can only think what Mao's career would've been like has that 3A been allowed in her first olympic cycle.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice

I know that it wasn't a real ban. But your argument goes both ways. Just as there was no reason for it to be allowed, there was no reason for it being disallowed either (since nobody was doing them anyway).

KRIKIC08

Rinkside
The PCs scoring is a totally joke.
Its all about politics and not skills.
You simply cant score music interpretation objective.

LuvIce

Rinkside
“...allow quadruples in the short program for “WOMEN”
So they need to define what a women is.