Anyone who went from well fitting Jackson skates to Edeas? | Golden Skate

Anyone who went from well fitting Jackson skates to Edeas?

Sunshine247

On the Ice
So, since my youngest skater is young and impressionable, she is really wanting to try an Edea. At this point she has a good fit in the Jackson Debut Fusion. She has a borderline wide ball and a very narrow heel. Sometimes referred as a “Jackson foot” lol

We struggled with her fit at first and we determined that she needs a close fit at the toes (going down a half size and switched to regular width) to accommodate her slim ankles and heel. Her current skates fit well and she’s making progress and improving edge quality now etc.

The concern is, I don’t really understand how the Edea skate actually fits. The local rep is very conscientious but a bit biased since she only sells Edeas. I don’t really know much about how the boot is basically shaped and how they size them. They’re kind super secret magic skates. Lol.

But in any case, is there anyone who switched from a well fitting Jackson and went to a well fitting Edea? I know that the blades usually are smaller because of the construction of the sole but I’d appreciate the feedback on the transition and what to look for in fit and how the transition went. She does like the tops of her skates loose and I’m thinking the style of fit they have would suit her. Other than that I’d be concerned about switching from a known good fit.

Thanks in advance.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
This is probably not the answer your skater is looking for, but... if it ain't broke, don't fix it (as they say). Finding a brand/model of skate that fits your foot well can be incredibly difficult, and given how expensive skates are, I personally wouldn't take the risk of switching to an entirely different brand. Edeas may be trendy right now, but they are not magic skates... they're not going to make you suddenly land that jump or spin.

This picture has been circulating the internet for a while and tries to show the different fits of skate brands. http://holfigureskating.weebly.com/uploads/9/9/7/4/99747864/skate-brands_orig.jpg However, there is a lot that isn't shown in this image - it doesn't account for split-width, for example. Since I haven't personally gone from Jacksons to Edeas, I can't speak to that, but I just want to reiterate that, from the outside, it doesn't sound like there's any reason to switch when her current skates are "well-fitting." Some people spend years searching for a well-fitting boot! :)

christy

On the Ice
I changed from a Jackson Elite to an Edea Ice Fly. It took a couple of sessions to get used to the different boot and shorter blade, and I had to change the footbed. I was fine with the Jackson footbed but found the Edea one didn't offer any support.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I wouldn't say Jacksons are necessarily good for a very narrow heel. If her heel is much narrower than her ball, she'll probably need customs or semi-customs no matter what the brand.

You can't just change the size to accommodate problems with the width. The size is only for the length. She doesn't need a closer fit at the toes because of her heels. The toes should fit her toes, and the heels should fit her heels. :agree:

skatingbeast

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I've never skated in Jackson boots, but I have Edea Ice Flys and my foot sounds like a similar shape to your skaters. While my foot isn't wide, I have a much wider ball than heel. The width of my foot is fairly even from my ball down through the arch (slight taper) but I have a super narrow heel and slim ankle.

I have had trouble getting my heel to lock in to the Edeas. The Edea seller in my area tried to squeeze the heel which helped slightly but I still feel my heel lift on certain moves which I'm not a fan of. If I buy another pair, they suggested I could try to go down a width. It took some time for me to get used to the looser ankle, as I tied my previous skates very tightly around the ankle. The heel height also took a couple weeks to get used to as did a shorter blade since I went down half an inch in blade length. All in all it only took me 2-3 weeks to get comfortable with the changes. The hardest skill for me to get back to normal was my backspin which took a few months. One other thing I've had difficulty with is arch pain and cold feet in the Edea Ice Fly.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So, since my youngest skater is young and impressionable, she is really wanting to try an Edea. At this point she has a good fit in the Jackson Debut Fusion. She has a borderline wide ball and a very narrow heel. Sometimes referred as a “Jackson foot” lol

We struggled with her fit at first and we determined that she needs a close fit at the toes (going down a half size and switched to regular width) to accommodate her slim ankles and heel. Her current skates fit well and she’s making progress and improving edge quality now etc.

The concern is, I don’t really understand how the Edea skate actually fits. The local rep is very conscientious but a bit biased since she only sells Edeas. I don’t really know much about how the boot is basically shaped and how they size them. They’re kind super secret magic skates. Lol.

But in any case, is there anyone who switched from a well fitting Jackson and went to a well fitting Edea? I know that the blades usually are smaller because of the construction of the sole but I’d appreciate the feedback on the transition and what to look for in fit and how the transition went. She does like the tops of her skates loose and I’m thinking the style of fit they have would suit her. Other than that I’d be concerned about switching from a known good fit.

Thanks in advance.

I've tested/worn every boot brand and most blades at some point in my career. Jackson works best for me for my freestyle boot, and I have a foot profile pretty similar to your skater. If she works with Jackson I wouldn't be going to Edea, I tried and hated them, and there was no fixing them to make them feel right to me.

This is probably not the answer your skater is looking for, but... if it ain't broke, don't fix it (as they say). Finding a brand/model of skate that fits your foot well can be incredibly difficult, and given how expensive skates are, I personally wouldn't take the risk of switching to an entirely different brand. Edeas may be trendy right now, but they are not magic skates... they're not going to make you suddenly land that jump or spin.

This picture has been circulating the internet for a while and tries to show the different fits of skate brands. http://holfigureskating.weebly.com/uploads/9/9/7/4/99747864/skate-brands_orig.jpg However, there is a lot that isn't shown in this image - it doesn't account for split-width, for example. Since I haven't personally gone from Jacksons to Edeas, I can't speak to that, but I just want to reiterate that, from the outside, it doesn't sound like there's any reason to switch when her current skates are "well-fitting." Some people spend years searching for a well-fitting boot! :)

:agree:

I wouldn't say Jacksons are necessarily good for a very narrow heel. If her heel is much narrower than her ball, she'll probably need customs or semi-customs no matter what the brand.

You can't just change the size to accommodate problems with the width. The size is only for the length. She doesn't need a closer fit at the toes because of her heels. The toes should fit her toes, and the heels should fit her heels. :agree:

I'm going to disagree with you here. Again as I said above to the OP, I have a similar foot profile to her daughter and I'm a Jackson skater for my freestyle boot. My dance boot is another story, but it's definitely not an Edea.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I had Jacksons long time ago before i got Graf. I have Edea Ice fly now. I notice the fit and the way to do up the skates are completely different. It was a big change but I really like how I skate in them. My issue is my foot feels almost "too fit" in it. I get pains often. I skate through it.. it doesn't really ruin my day or anything but its not what I was used to. It was very painful after i took the skates off for about a minute aswell. I love the support the ankle of the boot has for jumps while the way you lace up the skates allow you for a generous amount of flexability, its a game changer for me. For a narrow heel I would assume it would be okay because they are quite fit and dont leave too much room to begin with.

Elija

On the Ice
As someone above mentioned, heel lift in edeas can be a problem if you have narrow heels. I have narrow feet all around and have B width ice flys, which is the narrowist possible. I still have trouble with heel lift with tow jumps in particular. That said, I still love the skates overall.

Vicki7

On the Ice
I am now back in Jackson after switching to Overtures after Mystiques. I did not get along with them, I have narrow heels and a wide ball area. My baby toes were pinched even after having the boot punched out. I skated in them for 4 years - with a few breaks in that time. In August 2018 I could take no more, I was suffering awful arch pain too, and the ankles were so loose I didn't trust my boots. Got fitted for Debut Fusions and haven't looked back. I like to feel supported at the ankle and Edeas don't do that for me. I also tried a fellow adult's Ice Flys and they hurt without even lacing up - they felt narrow all over. If it's not broken, don't fix it!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

For sure, depends on what you mean by very narrow. For stock boots formed on the Elite last, the heel width is one size down from the ball width (e.g, A heel, B ball; or B heel, C ball). Over the past couple of years, Jackson has expanded the number of models of boots that are formed on the Elite last.

If you need more than one width difference (e.g., A heel, C ball), you can go semi-custom, provided you have no other foot conditions that would require a full custom.

emam

Spectator
I haven't had Jacksons in years because they just didn't fit my foot well. That being said, I switched from custom Harlicks to Edea without any difficulty. I only dance at this point, and am working on Internationals, and I went from the Edea dance boot to the Ice Fly for more support. I found there was absolutely no break in time and they were very comfortable with some tweaking from day one. I too have a narrow heel though, and even with inserts I find my heel lifting. I think if you have a narrow foot this is not the best skate for a child. As an adult, I can make them work for the comfort they offer.

celia

Rinkside
I was wearing a Jackson Premiere and they fit pretty well. I changed to an Edea Chorus and had problems with heel lift, particularly in the right foot, to the point that my foot would twist loose sometimes on a flip jump. They did heat mold the skates. I consider my heels average, not narrow. But I do have a wide ball of foot and toes. Because they were Edeas I could not reuse my blades but had to get a shorter blade. That adjustment was ok. But I never liked the ways my ankles felt so "loose" in the Edeas. I did the Edea lacing and added the lace strap but was forever tightening my skates. You mentioned your skater likes her boots loose at the top. I learned to skate in leather Riedells that really hugged the ankle and I prefer that "old school" feel.

In the end, I went back to Jackson Premieres and am much happier. Honestly, I wish I had never tried the Edeas but everyone is different.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Quotes weren’t working well on my mobile device so I’ll just have to address all in one here. I really appreciate all the feedback and I’m getting a better picture of the fit.

The graphic showing the general shapes is great. Thank you!

The info about the heel slipping is greatly appreciated as well.

It seems like two major issues were heel fit, and ankle fit.

Usually I’m in the “if it ain’t broke” camp too. The only reason I’d even consider switching is for the tapered toebox and the more flexible ankle. I’m just a tad worried about how she ties her skates. I’m concerned that the boots are breaking down more quickly, and that they aren’t meant to be worn that way and aren’t giving the true support she needs.

When she was fitted in her first debut fusion boots, she was on the edge of a wide vs regular. We ended up getting the wider ones. The built in split width with the fusion series accommodated her heel fairly well, but the overall fit was just not secure enough. It was exactly what would be recommended except that her toes are long and tapered which gives a “false length” to them in a way. Those boots were an endless frustration.

The tech rep from Jackson was able to identify there simply was too much volume overall. Her arch wasn’t falling in the correct position, the ankle needed to wrap around a bit better, and the overall fit needed to be tweaked. We went down a half size and went to regular width and it was a near instant fix.

We also put in heat moldable insoles that help support her arch so that she didn’t need any adjustment to her blades, and never needed gel sleeves for her ankle, so all things considered a good fit for a stock boot. I didn’t want her to get her foot anywhere near an Edea unless I could anticipate potential issues. Lol They are lined with memory foam I believe, which gives a comfy initial feel that seduces many!

Thanks again to everyone that replied. I have a lot of information to think over.

zjamic

Rinkside

Thanks in advance.

I went from Jacksons to Edea almost 2 years ago and I haven't looked back. I have incredibly wide feet and a normal-ish heel; Edea has the standard C width, but my boots are E width. In general, the first fitting was like a dream slidding into the Edea boots because my feet didn't feel cramped or in semi-immediate pain, which was the major selling point for me. However, I had a really good skate tech tell me the pros and cons of each brand for my specific foot shape. The skate tech even had 2 backup plans that involved two different brands in the off chance Edea were a no-go for me. So, having a good and reliable skate tech is a must, especially one that knows Edea.

Edea are sold in European measurements. So the sizes are 240, 245, etc; width is B, C (standard), D, and E (not in Piano model). Approximately speaking, a Jackson 6 is like an Edea 245 in size. When I tried a C width Edea I thought the width was a bit wider than a Jackson C width. The heel height feels a bit higher, but after getting accustomed to it I don't notice the few cm difference. The footbed is very flat, like no support flat; I got superfeet yellow to remedy the flat footbed at first, but the added heel height threw me off for spins. Needless to say, I got rid of the superfeet and just skating with the Edea insole at the moment. So, you may have to invest time and money in a good insole. The tying method is a bit different: loose but firm at the toes and tighter at ankle bend and loose in the ankle. There a plenty of videos and a skate tech should walk your skatee skate through the tying method. From personal experience, its the tie job that allows for heel movement; the tighter at the ankle bend the less likely the heel will rise or move for me.

With Edea, I noticed that the ankle freedom and the shorter blade was weird at first, but in the end it feels better than Jacksons for me. Like the other day, I tried on my old Jacksons to see if i could use them to help teach on the weekends to preserve my Edeas, but I looked like Bambi on ice, even after 30 minutes. However, my transition to Edea occurred when I was returning back to the ice after a serious injury and had to go slow, which means I focused on figures/patterns and basics. Edea are not for everyone, but can be a life saver if they work for you.

Lastly, does your skater wear bunga pads or something similar? They could help with your skaters slim ankles.

Good luck and go to a skate tech for proper measuring

Sibelius

On the Ice
When she was fitted in her first debut fusion boots, she was on the edge of a wide vs regular. We ended up getting the wider ones. The built in split width with the fusion series accommodated her heel fairly well, but the overall fit was just not secure enough. It was exactly what would be recommended except that her toes are long and tapered which gives a “false length” to them in a way. Those boots were an endless frustration.

Same for us, between widths, had one regular Debut that fit her heel, but was too snug in the ball, ok with some stretching but not as comfortable as she would have liked. We then went to a wide that fit the ball but the heel wasn't tight enough. We used gel pads to snug it up and a growth insole to close up the volume a bit . In September we ordered a Premiere Fusion through the Rapid Custom program with a C ball and an A heel. Fits perfectly. It was another $50 (I think he charged us at cost for it) for the semi custom and took about 3 weeks to get from Jackson.

I have a suspicion that when we start thinking about her next boots she's going to want to try an Edea. They are on all our top (and other) skaters here and Nationals will be returning to our rinks next year. They brought tons of inventory last time they came and made lots of sales. At least she could try on every size and see if they fit. I'll humor her I suppose.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist

The tech rep from Jackson was able to identify there simply was too much volume overall. Her arch wasn’t falling in the correct position, the ankle needed to wrap around a bit better, and the overall fit needed to be tweaked. We went down a half size and went to regular width and it was a near instant fix.

Then this sounds like she very well might have a proper fit despite going down a size not usually being a proper fix, especially given that it was an actual Jackson tech rep who said so.

Has she had any complaints about the fit? Like, has she mentioned any discomfort or anything before wanting to try Edeas? If not, she's probably better off not trying them on and getting tempted. Believe me, 99% of the time, if a skater is in the wrong brand, there will be endless complaining, no trendy shiny Edeas necessary. :laugh:

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I went from Jacksons to Edea almost 2 years ago and I haven't looked back. I have incredibly wide feet and a normal-ish heel; Edea has the standard C width, but my boots are E width. In general, the first fitting was like a dream slidding into the Edea boots because my feet didn't feel cramped or in semi-immediate pain, which was the major selling point for me. However, I had a really good skate tech tell me the pros and cons of each brand for my specific foot shape. The skate tech even had 2 backup plans that involved two different brands in the off chance Edea were a no-go for me. So, having a good and reliable skate tech is a must, especially one that knows Edea.

Edea are sold in European measurements. So the sizes are 240, 245, etc; width is B, C (standard), D, and E (not in Piano model). Approximately speaking, a Jackson 6 is like an Edea 245 in size. When I tried a C width Edea I thought the width was a bit wider than a Jackson C width. The heel height feels a bit higher, but after getting accustomed to it I don't notice the few cm difference. The footbed is very flat, like no support flat; I got superfeet yellow to remedy the flat footbed at first, but the added heel height threw me off for spins. Needless to say, I got rid of the superfeet and just skating with the Edea insole at the moment. So, you may have to invest time and money in a good insole. The tying method is a bit different: loose but firm at the toes and tighter at ankle bend and loose in the ankle. There a plenty of videos and a skate tech should walk your skatee skate through the tying method. From personal experience, its the tie job that allows for heel movement; the tighter at the ankle bend the less likely the heel will rise or move for me.

With Edea, I noticed that the ankle freedom and the shorter blade was weird at first, but in the end it feels better than Jacksons for me. Like the other day, I tried on my old Jacksons to see if i could use them to help teach on the weekends to preserve my Edeas, but I looked like Bambi on ice, even after 30 minutes. However, my transition to Edea occurred when I was returning back to the ice after a serious injury and had to go slow, which means I focused on figures/patterns and basics. Edea are not for everyone, but can be a life saver if they work for you.

Lastly, does your skater wear bunga pads or something similar? They could help with your skaters slim ankles.

Good luck and go to a skate tech for proper measuring

This is a lot of good info. Thank you. We have a great Edea person but she seems a bit biased, so I’m afraid she’d 8nfluence my skater too much.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Same for us, between widths, had one regular Debut that fit her heel, but was too snug in the ball, ok with some stretching but not as comfortable as she would have liked. We then went to a wide that fit the ball but the heel wasn't tight enough. We used gel pads to snug it up and a growth insole to close up the volume a bit . In September we ordered a Premiere Fusion through the Rapid Custom program with a C ball and an A heel. Fits perfectly. It was another $50 (I think he charged us at cost for it) for the semi custom and took about 3 weeks to get from Jackson.

I have a suspicion that when we start thinking about her next boots she's going to want to try an Edea. They are on all our top (and other) skaters here and Nationals will be returning to our rinks next year. They brought tons of inventory last time they came and made lots of sales. At least she could try on every size and see if they fit. I'll humor her I suppose.
Yes, I’ve benefited from a lot of the discussions and info you’ve posted. Lol. My slater would likely move into the Premier as well. I feel like she basically has a good fit now. No gel sleeves necessary and she didn’t need her ball stretched. We heat molded the insoles and skates at the same time and she hasn’t complained about them at all beyond the first two times skating in them. Break in time was minimal. I’m going to be a mean mom and say she can’t even try Edea on possibly. As long as she’s not unsafe in her skates, there doesn’t seem to be any advantage in switching right now.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Then this sounds like she very well might have a proper fit despite going down a size not usually being a proper fix, especially given that it was an actual Jackson tech rep who said so.

Has she had any complaints about the fit? Like, has she mentioned any discomfort or anything before wanting to try Edeas? If not, she's probably better off not trying them on and getting tempted. Believe me, 99% of the time, if a skater is in the wrong brand, there will be endless complaining, no trendy shiny Edeas necessary. :laugh:
She actually didn’t need stretching of the ball and doesn’t need a gel sleeve! It’s all about trendy for her but I was willing to consider a different skate because of her tendency to wear her skates tied a bit loose at the top. Plus the tapered toe box might have accommodated her a bit better. I was thinking it might be safer to have Edea used properly, rather than Jackson’s not used properly. But heel slippage and adjusting to a smaller blade seems to outweigh any benefit right now. Plus I’ve heard from many that the arch support isn’t very good. Just gonna have to go with what already works.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
She actually didn’t need stretching of the ball and doesn’t need a gel sleeve! It’s all about trendy for her but I was willing to consider a different skate because of her tendency to wear her skates tied a bit loose at the top. Plus the tapered toe box might have accommodated her a bit better. I was thinking it might be safer to have Edea used properly, rather than Jackson’s not used properly. But heel slippage and adjusting to a smaller blade seems to outweigh any benefit right now. Plus I’ve heard from many that the arch support isn’t very good. Just gonna have to go with what already works.

Just wanted to say that even with proper fitting boots, wearing Bunga Pads isn't a bad thing. I wear them regularly and have had the same right fitting custom boots made for me yearly/bi-yearly for a very long time.