2019 Rostelecom Cup: Day 1 | Golden Skate

2019 Rostelecom Cup: Day 1

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's have it folks! Screams of delight, insanity, frustration....share your thoughts and opinions on today's event in Moscow!

Recaps:

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
I think Boikova and Koslovskii are well on their way to being Russian team #1, if they aren't already. Their technique is SO CONSISTENT, and so lovely to watch.

Merjan

On the Ice
I'm really happy for Evgenia. Great performance.
Nice to see Stolbova in competition again. Boikova / Kozlovskii did really well. Especially after the fall in the warm-up. Piper and Paul were my favorites in the RD.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Evgenia :love: "Finally" she said as she stepped off the ice. Ww were all thinking the same! She was amazing!

Loved how she showed her sportsmanship by calming the crowd's cheering as Mariah was getting ready for her own performance. Thankyou Zhenya, that was very thoughtful of you!

Sasha is adorable! She has the flu, fell before even starting her program, laughed it off then gave a gutsy and very good performance.

cake

On the Ice
I hope today is a sign Shoma Uno is getting back on track. Seeing him smiling in the kiss and cry with Lambiel was heartwarming.
I´m getting warmed up to Piper and Pauls RD as they perform it more and more convincingly. Other than that I still find many RDs underwhelming.
Tarasova/Morozov better get their act together fast, otherwise there will be no looking back with Boikova/Kozlovskii improving so fast. They can´t afford any silly mistakes.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
A GP without my darlings but with my faves, the best kind. That way I'm invested enough to feel joy yet don't die of anxiety. It's been mostly joy so far, and here goes.

Men

- I miscalculated the time difference so I missed the first three skaters, but apparently aside from a cleanish Makar Ignatov the other two were disasters. Oh, props to Makar Ignatov for using In This Shirt in Russia
- I know Kazuki's SP is polarising, but I love it and was admittedly disappointed that a clean SP was pushed back to a future date yet again. But with a lovely 3A and all it was one of the better performances for him in the season, here's hoping he goes clean in the free and gets his WR points.
- Nam Nguyen was the sole winner of the Blues for Klook battle, he is back on the rise with a shot at the podium (and maybe GPF, I can't do math sorry) now.
- Deniss Vasiljevs had the best skate of the season (or so I think) here, and boy his sit spins are cool. I personally prefer Two Men In Love over Bloodstream, but since he got a SB with Bloodstream I can't complain.
- Dima Aliev landed a 3A :hap57: He is in second for now (grumble) but I'm really hoping for him to grab the gold. He just needs to land another 3A in the free
- The god of quad flips were not amused and nobody survived the quad flip, but Uno Shoma had a much better skate than at IdF. And I want Stephane Lambiel as his coach for the reason that the two of them make a nice picture
- Michal Brezina does not want to be the flame of the uncle renaissance anymore, he just wants to be a gorgeous cactus. The Czech Republic has more cacti than a common desert (sigh)

ID

- Bit more... hmm, messier than expected. But no freak falls so
- Piper and Paul are just so enjoyable to watch, they bring the "champagne", the light, bubbly feeling required for the Finnstep (big :thank: to Doris for enlightening me on that) and the extravaganza of Broadway so well onto the ice. And Piper hugging the flower girl melted my cold, brittle heart
- Reed/Ambrulevicius have a nice RD this season and they skated it well, I agree that their lift was underscored. And this is not taking M. Saulius's good looks into account
- Sinitsina/Katsalapov are very skilled dancers, and this is Russia, so they're in the lead. I just wish their twizzles weren't so wild, I genuinely thought he was going to fall
- Sara Hurtado came to her senses and ditched the Ferrero Rocher wrapper dress, still not feeling the program much though.
- The Poles need a)Kinky Boots for him b)them good fake eyelashes (the ones Kaitlin Hawayek used last season would be fabulous) c)more eyeshadow, preferably with pearl and d)much more queening. They did well with what they have, but it's not Kinky Boots enough :disapp:
- Galyavieva/Thauron's Boney M was fun :rock:

Ladies
- More chaotic than expected.
- Zhenya :love: She delivers in front of the home crowd, lovely skate and lovely performance. Loved her reaction, her interactions with B. Orser, and how she quieted down the audience.
- Apparently Sasha Trusova is sick :)( :(), but minus substituting the -3Lo with a -3T she pulled through while managing to show improvement in performance.
- One fall and one freak pop formed a very chaotic setting for the FS, with GPF on the line things have gotten very interesting. The rest of the performances were fine, it's just that the chaos unleashed is pretty big.
- A happy birthday to Alexia Paganini, my congratulations for her birthday and her skate, but I still find her music cut extremely jarring.
- I appreciate and respect Ekaterina Ryabova, but I cannot with just Roxanne, especially not the hellspawn toad version. Mute it is, even if you go clean. Sorry
- The other two Japanese ladies fell on their first jumping pass but kept on fighting and performing, my kudos.
- Poor Stanislava Konstantinova...

Pairs

- The discipline I was most interested in the results this week. Y'all should know by now that I adore Sasha Boikova and Mitya Kozlovskii
- And my adored Sasha and Mitya delivered a magnificent skate, I even almost forgave the pink costumes. Which maybe I'm supposed to condone since Madame Moskvina wore matching coats. I don't know. Anyway, I'm still kinda high on their spectacular showing. They're improving so much so quickly
- T/M were this close to doing their wonderful Bolero justice, but he had to mess up his spins and stumble on a step... :palmf: Really, it was truly splendid until the throw, I sighed out loud when he stumbled on the step (along with the audience). Still, their best showing of the program to date, I await the day they'll truly do it justice.
- Ksenia Stolbova is back. Oh, and she has a partner to do that with. She's not doing too bad considering the newness of the partnership, and they're in 3rd currently (the Motherland and all).
- I don't know whether they'll step up to the challenge, but it'd be lovely to see Hase/Seegert win a medal. Their skate was quite good, and their skating overall has some lovely qualities that I hope get endorsed.
- Both Walsh/Michaud and Ziegler/Kiefer had better skates here, congratulations. For the former, my thanks for ditching the pink leopard prints.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
So Russia whined to high heavens about "unfair" treatment of their skaters (WAAAAH, THEY WON, BUT NOT WITH WR EVERYTIME! waaaaahhhhhh). And here we go, Russian event... and skating while Russian bonuses again.

And magically almost nobody underrotates. Oh well.

I enjoyed Zhenya's skate today and deep deep in my heart I hope she wins tomorrow.

Also T/M are officially a mess. They were boring even at their best... but now I think it is time to let go and not push them anymore, unless they gonna fix their problems. But I foresee another silly mistakes tomorrow sadly.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
It’s a pity, Maria felt and Satoko popped her lutz but good job for Zhenia and Sasha

ruga

Final Flight
My chaotic late night thoughts:

- Sasha falls right before the start but lands quads as if they were nothing? Amazing
- Adoptive father Stephane! (by the way, why Yuna doesn't have her coaches in the competition? She was with Steph at JWC as well but she doesn't even train with him AFAIK)
- BOrser is such a dad, I love it. I seriously don't know why people keep saying that he doesn't have a good relationship with Zhenya
- For a few seconds I actually thought that Stasya might keep it together at home and yet...
- Boikova/Kozlovskii were so great, can't believe they're still pretty young for a pair team
- Dancers were all so fabulous and artistic that watching everything else afterwards was slightly disappointing :D it's the case for me in all competitions though
- Deniss had a pretty normal costume and skated his program almost clean so I'm proud of him, hope he keeps improving as the season progresses
- Shoma was on fire despite the fall
- Makar might be on his way to ruin our prediction games

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've only watched the Pairs SP so far (Sorry, I'll go and watch some of the other disciplines' skaters too later) but for now it's just Pairs. In general the level was much better than in earlier GP's (except for Sui/Han last week).

The first to skate were Ksenia and Andrei, and I must say: the queen is back. Oh, it wasn't perfect (Andrei did a 'Bruno' and doubled the SBS jump), but it was just so nice to see them. They skated well, but - though I love them - they were a bit overscored (or some others were underscored). Never mind, it was good to see them skate, and for a new team, skate quite well together. Rebecca and Filippo really are improving. Oh, it was not perfect, fall and all, and an awful twist lift, but they do seem to grow. Now, get those SS! But still pretty good. Audrey and Misha had one of the best Twists and definitely the best SBS Spins (wow!) of the night. Also a fall, but still quite good. In last, but alas there's always some couple there, and you could be last with much worse programmes. They will grow. Evelyn and Trennt finally did it! They skated well, had fun with it and that's always enjoyable to watch. lost some levels (especially on the twist), but a decent skate and a SB as well. I loved Miriam and Severin this evening. Best they've done this season, and very welcome to finally see that SP properly (despite a hand on the ice) executed. Still a lot to work on, but they are improving. What shall I say about Minerva Fabienne and Nolan? This was superb. I always like them, but today was special. Beautiful programme, well performed, and they (especially Minerva) were so happy! Reserve the best for nearly last....Alexandra and Dmitrii had their day. I adore those costumes (contrary to some, I generally love pink, especially this shade of pink) although what they have to do with "My way" is a mystery. Unless it is to make a statement that the kids don't care what everyone else thinks, and quite right too. Their skate was awesome. A well deserved 80+ points for them and a SB. It was wonderful. I can't help but always get moved by Alexandra's gorgeous smile. Evgenia and Vladimir, finally, had a solid skate but a bit of a downer after their team mates. Great twist, they saved the jumps (and Evgenia had a nice landing on the throw), and then there arrived the SBS spins and there was a stumble in the Steps. But, what made it still special was afterwards. Vladimir made a face (of course he realised he had made silly mistakes) and Evgenia hugged him and probably kissed him on the cheek (couldn't see) with such a kind look as if saying "these things happen. No blame." I loved that show of emotion, which they hardly show otherwise.

All in all a great evening of Pair Skating. And now for taking a look at Shoma, Nam, Dmitri, Evgenia, Mariah, Piper and Paul......

Artemisa

Final Flight
Pairs:
_ B/k there short program is become better and better ... even with pink costumes
_ T/M are better ... they faill but was better ...
_ ksenia ... the queen is back
_ Germain pair .. great program ... even if I'm a big fan of russian teams .. after there skate I was cherring for them

Ladies: Medvedeva and Orser

Men:
_ Russian men weren't bad
_ Shoma and lambiel
_ Vasiljevs spin
_ Shoma SP

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Just watched Shoma...and the K&C. So pleased. Lambiel is like the older brother every skater wants to have...supportive, friendly, caring, but still with some points of critique. Loved them together (but then I also love Dennis and Stephane together).

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Beaming proud Dad BOrser was great!

I'm very happy Shoma had someone to sit with in K&C, it was very very sweet.

There has been some very lovely moments so far!

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
- Sasha falls right before the start but lands quads as if they were nothing? Amazing

Quads are not allowed in women's short programs. Otherwise, Trusova would have included at least one quad in her short program to gain a commanding lead. Mariah Bell is sitting comfortably in the third place. Mariah is on a roll right now and she is on the verge of winning another GP medal. I believe she can pull it off.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Dmitri Aliev! Another Yay! Such a wondrous skater when he's on. And he definitely was today.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Ladies
So happy for and proud of Zhenya. She was amazing. Skated like a feather across the ice. Cannot wait to see her FS tomorrow.
Sasha - her reaction to her little fall before her SP was so adorable. Smart idea to switch the combo after she had some issues in the practices. The double Axel today looked really great. You can see that she is working on something ;)
Satoko - so gutted for her. I guess with her reworking her technique some pops and mistakes were about to happen. I hope she has a great comeback in the FS, she still can make it to qualify for the GPF!
Mariah - unfortunate mistake however, she still has a chance for the GPF and I hope she also can make a strong comeback in the Free, whicg I love. The SP is also quite fun but not my favorite program

Men
Yay Shoma looked so much better and happier here, I am glad! Stéphane really knows how to cheer skaters up.
Kazuki - I love his SP for its weirdness, so unique. I really love his skating and hope he can skate a clean SP this seasom at one point! He is so artistic and has a unique style, cannot wait to see his iconic StSq tomorrow in the FS.

Pairs
B/K get better and better each competition. They are so flawless and have solid technique. They are winning a lot of people over this season :) so much potential there

Did anyone else notice the DJs obsession with the song Americano by Lady Gaga? Seriously, I cannot get this song out of my head