What's wrong with Shoma Uno this season? | Golden Skate

What's wrong with Shoma Uno this season?

Parksideprince

Rinkside
He has been consistent and even challenging the top in the world the last two seasons. Is something wrong? He is falling all over himself.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well he doesn't have a coach at the moment so I guess that's part of it. I don't really know though!

I thought he did really well in his SP today, that step sequence was lit!

I hope he continues to improve as the season goes on.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was wondering if Stephane was his coach as he was with him in the K&C, although the graphic still said no coach.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
It was better! So close to Bronze even. But still not the Shoma of old

Two hard falls still

Honestly they scare me, I'm concerned he will or is hurting himself with them. They are Pogo-like falls

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I would love to play online with Shoma and Yuzu, that would be awesome!
As I'm a gamer girl figure skating fan xD

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
He appears lost from his anchor in the home harbour and is wandering aimlessly on high seas ...

Hope Shoma finds himself back again soon and settles in a safe harbour to grow and develop again.

But some people are just restless by nature?

Aglae

On the Ice
Shoma has had a very rocky off season. He left his long time coaches in the middle of it, completely rethought his plans for the season and his future as a skater. He got his programs months later than he usually does (he initially planned to recycle Winter and Moonlight Sonata). He is also in the middle of a confidence crisis right now for sure. The good thing is that based on his practices he has not lost his qualities as a great skater. Regarding the mental game, this can be a bigger problem but I believe he is already back on track with the help of Stéphane. He has most likely found his new coach, he now has time to get more familiar with his programs until Japanese Nationals (and he intends to go back to Switzerland to prepare for them). The second half of the season should be better, and even if it is not, he is moving forward in a new direction, and says he hasn't been this happy about skating since the beginning of last season (probably since the Olympics). I am looking forward to discover what Shoma 2.0 has in store for us, once he has had more time to adjust to all the changes. It may take time but I have faith he will eventually get there.

This has nothing to do with excessive gaming. He has been very straightforward in his interviews about gaming. It has always been a hobby he is very invested in. That's probably the only thing that didn't change in his life during the off season so that is not an explanation.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I would love to play online with Shoma and Yuzu, that would be awesome!
As I'm a gamer girl figure skating fan xD

Me too, i wonder if we know his friend code.

Though Shoma seems good at Smash from what i've seen.

What's wrong with Shoma? honestly i think lack of stability in his training, if he decides to stay with Lambiel we could see improvements, he was already better in Russia compared to France, still lots to work on.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
thank you! these rumors being spread around are disgusting.:disapp:

They are

It saddens me, so many people lining up to kick someone when they are down

I just want to give Shoma a big hug and tell him he is amazing
I wish everyone could be like that but of course... they are not

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
It broke my heart to see him crying at his first Grand Prix a few weeks ago, and boy those falls looked so painful! I'm happy to see improvement this week at Rostelecom, and he seemed happier now that he had Lambiel at his side. Wishing Shoma all the best - he's one of my favorite skaters right now and I hope he can shine brightly again!

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
It made a world of difference just to have that support there. He did not look as upset, he was even smiling

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
It broke my heart to see him crying at his first Grand Prix a few weeks ago, and boy those falls looked so painful! I'm happy to see improvement this week at Rostelecom, and he seemed happier now that he had Lambiel at his side. Wishing Shoma all the best - he's one of my favorite skaters right now and I hope he can shine brightly again!

On the bright side, he said he was crying because he was so touched and grateful about how much everyone was cheering for him despite all those falls.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I really hope he gets his act together. Because qualitatively his skating skills are second to none and he is glorious sight in full flight. And that triple axel is just wonderful!