Classy skaters like Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Classy skaters like Evgenia Medvedeva

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
This seems have happened several times that other male skaters lifted Cong Han up. :laugh:

And other shorter skaters. There are few pictures "that I'm in" in old school yearbooks where I sure wish I'd had Enbert and Morozov around ("that I'm in" being in quotes because I'm completely blocked by someone taller :laugh:).

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Evgenia also did something similar to quiet down the crowd after she was first in total points at Cup of Russia last season. She tried to quiet them down as they were chanting for her, because Stasya was taking the ice

@ 1:37:00 https://youtu.be/gEAZYNhN9jo

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Most excellent examples....! PaulE and I tried our best to get Polina into Nats but it was not to be (yet). Dont know if her foot still hurts but she still has lots of classy artistry on the ice....so nice to see PaulE and the gang and an incognito forum member at Pac Co Secs. Great venue as its almost an arena. More like an arena without heat! LOL!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Nice thread, CoyoteChris, especially with all the ugliness in sports sometimes.

I think Evgenia's gesture was quite classy, as were other gestures mentioned earlier.

Speaking of kindness and letting someone borrow equipment, how about someone lending Sasha Cohen their tights at the Olympics? I believe that was Fumie Suguri who did so.

Wow! That's a great story as are so many here.....It was fun last night at Pac Coast Secs to see all the skaters pulling for each other...thats the nice thing about smaller events...you are right there with the skaters....not isolated from them....

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I read that, she would have been disqualified. That was so generous.

She would not have been disqualified for not wearing tights. Surya Bonaly, for example, often went without tights when she competed. It is more an issue that tights serve to keep you warmer and protect from ice burn if you fall.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Depends which Olympic year we are talking about here regarding Sasha.

The Katarina rule was a thing.

As far as Surya, she was a rebel teamed with having a hard time finding tights to match her skintone in her time.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max running out to hug Adam at Boston Worlds, even though he must have realised it would mean Adam would finish ahead of him and hurt Max's own standing among the US men.

There's also the story of Max at 2015 Nationals, after he skated his short, proceeding to escape from the media mixed zone so he could watch Josh, and then returning after Josh's skate beaming and bragging about how well Josh had skated.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She would not have been disqualified for not wearing tights. Surya Bonaly, for example, often went without tights when she competed. It is more an issue that tights serve to keep you warmer and protect from ice burn if you fall.

In Sasha Cohen's book , she seemed worried about that. It's good to know that a skater would not be disqualified for not wearing tights.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think sometimes we forget that most of these skaters literally grew up together and see each other at numerous competitions through the years - no matter what country they're from. The elite skaters party together at the galas and many of them train together. They're friends and most of the nationalism junk comes from fans and federations. It's always refreshing to see the professionalism (for lack of a better word) and the camaraderie.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
2012 Worlds Mens LP Small Medal Ceremony

All kinds of adorable here - Patrick flanked by Dai and baby Yuzu. In the Q&A when asked to name their favorite skaters, both Dai and Yuzu named Patrick as one of theirs. It's nice to see all three of them so happy in these moments. When they were leaving the bit of ice, Dai used Patrick for support to put his guards on, and then Patrick used Dai for support.

I was worried about whether the video got deleted from YouTube, but thankfully it's still there, after all these years. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
2012 Worlds Mens LP Small Medal Ceremony

All kinds of adorable here - Patrick flanked by Dai and baby Yuzu. In the Q&A when asked to name their favorite skaters, both Dai and Yuzu named Patrick as one of theirs. It's nice to see all three of them so happy in these moments. When they were leaving the bit of ice, Dai used Patrick for support to put his guards on, and then Patrick used Dai for support.

I was worried about whether the video got deleted from YouTube, but thankfully it's still there, after all these years. :)

Patrick :love:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
This one does not have to do with another skater or with any competition, but I hope that's okay.

I don't know how many of you (besides his diehard fans, of course) watched Patrick Chan's retirement event in Toronto last April. At that event, Patrick gave a 10-minute speech that showed his heart and his class in a way that no interview ever has. In it, he thanked a sponsor, an airline, his boot and blade companies (including thanking the person who sharpened his blades by name), Skate Canada, David Wilson, and Mr. Colson. But the brightest jewel in this speech is the way Patrick thanks his parents, through tears, for all their support in his life. Okay, first of all, Patrick has not cried often publicly, so that was enough to warm my heart, but his words and his delivery were SO SINCERE!!!!! :love::love::love: Plus, his parents sound incredible. What a loving tribute from a grateful, loving son. Patrick discovered and recognized what is truly golden to him.

Patrick Chan Thanks His Parents

The whole event is still up on Periscope, with Patrick's speech from 7:35 to 17:40. Alternately, it's on YouTube (8:35-18:40), but I like the view and the quality of the Periscope better.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Max running out to hug Adam at Boston Worlds, even though he must have realised it would mean Adam would finish ahead of him and hurt Max's own standing among the US men.

There's also the story of Max at 2015 Nationals, after he skated his short, proceeding to escape from the media mixed zone so he could watch Josh, and then returning after Josh's skate beaming and bragging about how well Josh had skated.

Max was and is a class act!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think sometimes we forget that most of these skaters literally grew up together and see each other at numerous competitions through the years - no matter what country they're from. The elite skaters party together at the galas and many of them train together. They're friends and most of the nationalism junk comes from fans and federations. It's always refreshing to see the professionalism (for lack of a better word) and the camaraderie.

Ya think?

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Classy in everything they do: Maia and Alex Shibutani

Meagan Duhamel congratulating Aliona Savchenko after she and Bruno won the Olympics. Maybe someone else can find the video. From what I remember, Meagan said, "You did it! I'm so proud of you!" Or maybe it was "we did it." They had a long embrace/interaction and were both crying and happy for each other.

Yuzu and Javi had classy interactions all the time and were so supportive when the other person won.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I still love last years us nationals when Alysa was trying to figure out how to get on the podium since it was so tall and she was so tiny and Mariah and braise reached down and helped her up. I thought that was classy and cute.

At the medal ceremony after the SLC Olys, Sarah Hughes seemed to have trouble figuring out how to get on the podium until Michelle Kwan pointed out to her the way up.

Following the pairs event at Worlds in 2006, Alexei Tikhnov skated over to the audience and carried the injured Shen to the podium so she could congratulate gold medalists and countrypeople Pang and Tong.

MariaGold

Rinkside
Classy in everything they do: Maia and Alex Shibutani

Meagan Duhamel congratulating Aliona Savchenko after she and Bruno won the Olympics. Maybe someone else can find the video. From what I remember, Meagan said, "You did it! I'm so proud of you!" Or maybe it was "we did it." They had a long embrace/interaction and were both crying and happy for each other.

Yuzu and Javi had classy interactions all the time and were so supportive of when the other person won.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnKKso049MQ

Meagan's reaction to Mirai Nagasu's historic triple axel was amazing as well, she's such a class act: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aws2UOwQnrE