Classy skaters like Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Classy skaters like Evgenia Medvedeva

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Classy in everything they do: Maia and Alex Shibutani

Meagan Duhamel congratulating Aliona Savchenko after she and Bruno won the Olympics. Maybe someone else can find the video. From what I remember, Meagan said, "You did it! I'm so proud of you!" Or maybe it was "we did it." They had a long embrace/interaction and were both crying and happy for each other.

Yuzu and Javi had classy interactions all the time and were so supportive when the other person won.

I love Maia and Alex, dont get me wrong....they are class for sure....I miss them terribly. And they are very intelligent and interesting. And they came to most of the FOFS breakfasts and would actively participate and make the rounds and talk WITH you...but you know what is odd? Someone on this forum told me, "Yes, but have you EVER seen them sitting in the audience with the fans?" I understand wanting your own life, etc, but it is a nice gesture to sit with fans at least once in awhile...

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
but you know what is odd? Someone on this forum told me, "Yes, but have you EVER seen them sitting in the audience with the fans?" I understand wanting your own life, etc, but it is a nice gesture to sit with fans at least once in awhile...

I wouldn't expect them to do that any more than I'd expect Lea Salonga or Andre de Shields to pop down between scenes and sit with the audience in the stalls at Sweeney Todd or Hadestown. When skaters are at a competition, they're doing their job, which is skating, and should be allowed to focus on doing their job.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think, that Zenya simply repeated what Yuzuru Hanyu did at Skate Canada. He quieted the crowd before Nam's turn to skate. It was very touching and crowd responded instantly to Yuzu.
It does not take of course anything away from Evgenia- kudos to her.

I rather doubt she even knew about that and even if she did I doubt that had any infuence over actions. We have seen this kind of kkindness in the past from her.

Bentley

Rinkside
Classy is not whining about the drama in your life. Classy is not displaying sour grapes when you lose to another Skater.

moriel

Record Breaker
There are many ramifications in classy. Overall, i would say that very few skaters can be called classy by my book (like no nasty comments in interviews, no ugly faces at K&C when doesnt like scores and so on and so forth).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I love Maia and Alex, dont get me wrong....they are class for sure....I miss them terribly. And they are very intelligent and interesting. And they came to most of the FOFS breakfasts and would actively participate and make the rounds and talk WITH you...but you know what is odd? Someone on this forum told me, "Yes, but have you EVER seen them sitting in the audience with the fans?" I understand wanting your own life, etc, but it is a nice gesture to sit with fans at least once in awhile...

Many skaters go sit in the audience during competitions to watch their friends compete in their section of the competition, this isn't something new and monumental that the Shibs did.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Chris, my understanding of your post is that you are not saying at all that it is rare for competitors to sit in the stands ... but that it was rare to see the Shibs doing so. Although the Shibs would actively mingle at the FOFS breakfasts, which is an example of their class.

... I think most skaters are classy people.

... ETA: Most skaters are classy people.

Most skaters are classy

Thanks for restating what I said on page 1. :slink:

;) Belated thanks to Ic3Rabbit for restating what fzztsimmons had said in post #4 of this thread, more than a day before you said the same thing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chris, my understanding of your post is that you are not saying at all that it is rare for competitors to sit in the stands ... but that it was rare to see the Shibs doing so. Although the Shibs would actively mingle at the FOFS breakfasts, which is an example of their class.

;) Belated thanks to Ic3Rabbit for restating what fzztsimmons had said in post #4 of this thread, more than a day before you said the same thing.

Yes, exactly...many time in my life I say things that dont come out exactly as I wanted them to be interpreted....
But here, I re-read what I wrote and I think it makes sense.
1. I love the Shibs
2. They came to breakfast any time they could (not all skaters do this, BTW)
3. I cant think of one single time I have seen the Shibs in the stands with the fans.
I would add that plenty of times, I have seen Yuna, Mr. Boitano, Mirai, Mariah, Jason B, Alissa Czisny, ad nauseum sit in the stands and sign the occasional autograph and chat...other skaters I wont name other than the Shibs prefer their privacy, which is fine too.
It really doesnt make them less classy. I can understand skaters not wanting to be chased down and fawned over....Its just that I was shocked when a member of this forum awhile ago brought this fact to my attention on another matter and I had to admit I had never seen the Shibs shmooze much outside of FOFS.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't think "sitting in the audience" is a good measure of classiness or much of anything else. We sat across from Nathan Chen and his Mom in San Jose at Nationals as he TRIED to watch the women's short program. He wore a sweatshirt with a hoodie and still there must have been 20 people clamoring around him, demanding autographs, selfies and attention - much to the annoyance of people sitting in the area. Nathan was gracious but you could tell he really wanted to see the skating. He and Mom finally got up and left. On the Sunday night after the gala exhibition my friend and I attended the "party" and met with many of the skaters. All of them were polite and available for pictures, autographs, or just chatting. This was when they were supposed to be available. Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Mirai Negasu, Bradie Tennell, the Knierems, and yes Nathan, Vincent Zhou, all the dance teams, etc. etc. all were approachable and willing to chat. I think there is a time and a place when skaters mix with fans - but there's also a time to leave them alone.

Classy to me is showing professionalism and being supportive of fellow skaters.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... It really doesnt make them less classy. I can understand skaters not wanting to be chased down and fawned over....

:agree:

... On the Sunday night after the gala exhibition my friend and I attended the "party" and met with many of the skaters. All of them were polite and available for pictures, autographs, or just chatting. This was when they were supposed to be available. Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Mirai Negasu, Bradie Tennell, the Knierems, and yes Nathan, Vincent Zhou, all the dance teams, etc. etc. all were approachable and willing to chat. I think there is a time and a place when skaters mix with fans - but there's also a time to leave them alone. ...

Off topic, but ...

I do think that fans should be judicious as to when/where to approach skaters.

But I also will note that I believe that you are talking about the Olympic send-off party (or whatever it was called) that was only for fans who were able/willing to make a donation of something like $100 per ticket (IIRC?).

Please don't get me wrong: I have no complaint that donors at your level were rewarded with a special opportunity to hang out with the 2018 Olympians at an event planned for that purpose.

Just sayin' that this special opportunity was not within the reach of everyone.
For me, I could not justify a splurge of an extra $100 when I already had paid for travel to/from San Jose, hotel, event tix, etc.​

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Classy is not whining about the drama in your life. Classy is not displaying sour grapes when you lose to another Skater.

Agree, I hope though there isnt some hidden undertone or over tone that you are talking about any certain skater. I agree most skaters are classy and good sports at least in their deportment. Sense of style in costumes is another thing.

noskates

Record Breaker
:agree:

Off topic, but ...

I do think that fans should be judicious as to when/where to approach skaters.

But I also will note that I believe that you are talking about the Olympic send-off party (or whatever it was called) that was only for fans who were able/willing to make a donation of something like $100 per ticket (IIRC?).

Please don't get me wrong: I have no complaint that donors at your level were rewarded with a special opportunity to hang out with the 2018 Olympians at an event planned for that purpose.

Just sayin' that this special opportunity was not within the reach of everyone.
For me, I could not justify a splurge of an extra $100 when I already had paid for travel to/from San Jose, hotel, event tix, etc.​

Yes that is correct but the venue was packed so apparently a lot of people were able to attend. My level? Not sure what you mean by that. I saw it more as an opportunity to contribute to the USFSA rather than touchy/feely with the skaters. We've been lucky enough to get seats in the area where a lot of skaters and their families sit. Some talk to us, some keep to themselves and their friends. I don't think any skater owes me anything other than a good skate!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... My level? Not sure what you mean by that. I saw it more as an opportunity to contribute to the USFSA rather than touchy/feely with the skaters. We've been lucky enough to get seats in the area where a lot of skaters and their families sit. Some talk to us, some keep to themselves and their friends. I don't think any skater owes me anything other than a good skate!

By "donors at your level," I meant donors at the $100+ level.

I don't think any skater owes me anything either. :agree:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I don't think "sitting in the audience" is a good measure of classiness or much of anything else. We sat across from Nathan Chen and his Mom in San Jose at Nationals as he TRIED to watch the women's short program. He wore a sweatshirt with a hoodie and still there must have been 20 people clamoring around him, demanding autographs, selfies and attention - much to the annoyance of people sitting in the area. Nathan was gracious but you could tell he really wanted to see the skating. He and Mom finally got up and left. On the Sunday night after the gala exhibition my friend and I attended the "party" and met with many of the skaters. All of them were polite and available for pictures, autographs, or just chatting. This was when they were supposed to be available. Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Mirai Negasu, Bradie Tennell, the Knierems, and yes Nathan, Vincent Zhou, all the dance teams, etc. etc. all were approachable and willing to chat. I think there is a time and a place when skaters mix with fans - but there's also a time to leave them alone.

Classy to me is showing professionalism and being supportive of fellow skaters.

Who said sitting in the audience had anything to do with classiness? Pas Moi.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In Sasha Cohen's book , she seemed worried about that. It's good to know that a skater would not be disqualified for not wearing tights.

IIRC Surya was a former Gymnist who didnt like the feeling of tights, so she did an end run around the rules somehow.

SkatingWithEdges

Rinkside
Definitions of Classy!!

Yuna wait her score in her free program in Sochi 2014 Olympics , Classy ever
- Skated last in competition
- Skated last performance of her skating career
-Skated for her 2nd Olympics title back to back
-Skated under that russians crowd and european judging system
-Skated in position "leader" after short program with tie score less than a point

She wait her score with tiny hope to win her 2nd gold , she know something will happened and when her score was release ....... she smile and stand up for thanks the crowd (even her heart was broken in this situation , she almost cry inside) but she still show her class and her sportmanship!!! That not classy but she's toughest competitor i've ever seen.If am her that time i will cry like a baby and anger

That is the most difficult situations ever to keep calm but she is , That why she is The Queen.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice

Please don’t tell me you are referencing Trusova and Alena after their comments in Kiss n Cry about their scores. Trusova simply thought she would score higher and Alena was just questioning why she even bothered with the 3axel. And if your referring to Alina talking about her drama and all that nonsense about wrong girl winning, I think firstly the finger should be pointed at the coach and PR for even entertaining that angle.

Don’t be so judgement of these girls. All skaters are classy. Athletes typically respect one another and are all close in the skating world. What one may see as whining could be a misinterpretation.

alexaa

Final Flight
Some classy moment

1. In this year’s SkAm, Nathan watching and clapping for Jason for his SP performance.
https://twitter.com/Erinsk8/status/1185324654933622784?s=20
Nathan is watching Jason and clapping for him
5:39 PM · Oct 18, 2019

2. Nathan went to support his teammates at WTT despite the fact he was very sick. He was vomiting after the free run through. He had to cancel some interviews with Japanese media, he didn’t go to the WTT banquet because of his sickness, but he was at the rink to cheer for his teammates. Here is an IGS from Ashley Cain. You can see Nathan taking a nap in the picture. He was actually was sick at the time.
Proud teammate post:
This was nathan chen a few hours before his long program. He has stayed at the arena all day everyday to cheer on his teammates. The support from the WHOLE team has been amazing here!

https://twitter.com/aboutNathan0505/status/1116722578083778566?s=20

A little bit more to the story, he went back Yale for a week after worlds and attended an event for Michelle at Yale, then flew all the way to Salt Lake City to support the Adults Championship there, and then immediately flew back Japan for WCC

This was the tweet from Phil about his crazy schedule
https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1116354042240937985?s=20

This was the Facebook post about his presence at Adult championship, which means a lot to some skaters who made comments there.
https://m.facebook.com/USFSAdultSka...61/?refsrc=https://m.facebook.com/watch/&_rdr

3. Press conference after winning worlds 2018, he was asked about the big score difference between him and Shoma, he stated that both Yuzu and Patrick were not in the competition, and Shoma was injured, couldn’t do things he normally do

4. When asked about Shoma’s performances at press conference in France
https://twitter.com/MaryAgnetha/status/1190691361680478208?s=20
"Every skater can suddenly fall/lose - due to injury or mental problems, even top skaters are faced with such hardships sometimes. But I'm sure he will find all answers and will return."

5.Jackie Wong tweeted how respectful Yuzu and Nathan were towards each other during OP at worlds, Meryl even mentioned that in the interview with Brian Orser and Brian acknowledged how friendly and courteous they were for each other.

Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen bowed together after they finished their practice, Chen acknowledging Hanyu right at the end as they bowed - the crowd loved it
https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1108577976658984960?s=20

Once again, Nathan Chen and Yuzuru Hanyu ends their practice session bowing together. Chen goes quickly and claps for Hanyu and lets him have the ovation from the home crowd
https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1108577976658984960?s=20