Edea skates and ankle pain | Golden Skate

Edea skates and ankle pain

Hi all!
I posted a while back about arch pain with my new edeas. So that problem has gone which is great. My left foot still feels looser than the right, but no big deal it’s fine for now.
But now I have a new problem. When I’m skating I get this pain, sort of achy in the front of my right ankle exactly where the boot would bend to allow for edge work. If I lift my ankle towards me and slightly left that is when it feels the most uncomfortable. Now is this just because I have weak ankles or is something else going on here? I’ve been doing ankle exercises with a resistance band for two weeks and this seems to help the pain disappear faster but for the first few weeks before I started doing exercises with the resistance band the achy pain would last half a week after skating. Is this normal? I spoke to one of the people I take lessons with that uses the same edea overture skates and she said she gets this pain too. Is this just normal?
All advice is appreciated!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all!
I posted a while back about arch pain with my new edeas. So that problem has gone which is great. My left foot still feels looser than the right, but no big deal it’s fine for now.
But now I have a new problem. When I’m skating I get this pain, sort of achy in the front of my right ankle exactly where the boot would bend to allow for edge work. If I lift my ankle towards me and slightly left that is when it feels the most uncomfortable. Now is this just because I have weak ankles or is something else going on here? I’ve been doing ankle exercises with a resistance band for two weeks and this seems to help the pain disappear faster but for the first few weeks before I started doing exercises with the resistance band the achy pain would last half a week after skating. Is this normal? I spoke to one of the people I take lessons with that uses the same edea overture skates and she said she gets this pain too. Is this just normal?

My advice to you and your friend is to go see a doctor. You may have tendonitis.

Elija

On the Ice
Hi all!

I sometimes get this if my skates aren't tights enough across the front of the ankle, especially doing things like forward slaloms. If the skate isn't tight enough, your foot is tensing trying to grab onto the bottom of the skate if that makes sense. I only have the pain for a few seconds while I'm doing particular things (particularly things like slaloms, brackets and three turns if I'm doing a lot in a row). Perhaps make sure your skates are laced correctly? Could also be work trying a lace bite gel sleeve if experimenting with ;acing doesn't work.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My advice to you and your friend is to go see a doctor. You may have tendonitis.

I would agree with this suggestion of seeing a doctor or physical therapis. While skating boots are not the most comfortable of footwear, I don't think it's normal to have re-occuring pain from them either.
Perhaps Edeas are not the right boot for you(?).

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I think that it sounds like classic skaters "lace bite" (tendonitis) as others have mentioned. I have had this pain with old boots that have lost their tongue padding, and it can become very painful. I get it where my leg meets the top of the foot, right in front.

My current boots also have old, thinning tongue padding, and I started to get a touch of "lace bite" pain back in September. I didn't want it to worsen, so I'm currently wearing gel ankle sleeves until I can get into my new boots. Gel sleeves can often help if your boots are the cause.

It can become severely painful if you don't do anything about it. From experience with it, don't let it go that far.