2019 Rostelecom Day 2 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Rostelecom Day 2

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
Ladies:
Trusova's skating is not my cup of tea since I don't mainly watch figure skating for athletic feats, but it was cool to see her fighting through.
Zhenya's skating also had visible fight, which was not good for artistry, but nice to see. She is such a likable skater.
I'm so disappointed that Satoko won't be in the GPF. It won't be as interesting to watch.

Ice Dance:
H/K's flamenco is my favorite FD of the season! I'm happy they got the bronze, though this GP was not so competitive.
"We're going to the Final!" Yes, Piper and Paul, finally!
I still don't see much in S/K's FD. It's fine, just not standout.
R/A::cheer:
Shpilevaya/Smirnov made me notice them in their FD performance today. I think they'll go far.

Still haven't gotten to watching pairs, but excited to watch B/K's FS.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It’s the third thread where you left the same comment now :D how many more do you plan?
However, you missed the russian ladies thread, russian men thread, russian ice dance thread, russian pairs thread :) still 4 to go I assume ;)

It's always good to spread REAL TRUTH far and wide, considering how much FAKE EVERYTHING we're subjected to nowadays.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Not in those outfits, they couldn't.

It’s not the costume that uplifts the figure skater, it’s the skater that uplifts the costume... then again, Rizzo was persuaded from turtleneck #1 to turtleneck #2, so all is possible.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
What podium people didn't like? I thought all podiums were alright. :confused2:

The scores are always a mess, but then, no GP can be compared anymore.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I was annoyed that Aliev didn't win, as to me his free skate was miles ahead of Samarin's but then I realized that it was that zayaked 3lz that did him in. -That's all on Aliev. :palmf: As he continues to aim for the podium, I hope he will have a clear plan B and plan C worked out so that he doesn't do things like forget his axel or jump etc. :drama:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I was annoyed that Aliev didn't win, as to me his free skate was miles ahead of Samarin's but then I realized that it was that zayaked 3lz that did him in. -That's all on Aliev. :palmf: As he continues to aim for the podium, I hope he will have a clear plan B and plan C worked out so that he doesn't do things like forget his axel or jump etc. :drama:

Classic Aliev :D

Artemisa

Final Flight

well...maybe he isn't very good at math or knowing the rules ( he must do a intensive course with Eteri ) .... but I prefer him losing points but doing the jumps than fall and fall... and pop and pop ... so we should be happy that he make the podium...

Or maybe a crazy idea ... maybe he is landing them 100 % that he think that he doesn't need a plan B ... wait he is russian .. they all need a plan B, C ....

MintGreen

On the Ice

Didn’t Dima get dinged by Zayak rule at both GP events? At SA, he popped his first jump into a downgraded 3lz, and that invalidated his 3T. Sadly, both had altered the final rankings in the two competitions. Without knowing which jump is gonna get popped, he clearly needs more than just plan B and some quick thinking on the fly! :)

He put up a good fight today though. I still don’t know if his 3lz in sp and fs were planned or popped. Did he say in the interview?

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Evgenia scored her personal best with her beautiful Geisha routine. But she was still beaten by Trusova who scored 160 in free skate. Former medalists like Satoko Miyahara are completely overwhelmed by the new generation of Russian skaters who raised the bar. But Mariah Bell won two consecutive Grand Prix medals with old-school figure skating and it is enjoyable to watch her skate, too. She may become the first American woman to qualify for the Grand Prix Final since Ashley Wagner in 2015.

https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1195823861993885696

Ykai

On the Ice

Did he get partial credits or 0 for the repeated 3Lz?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But Mariah Bell proved that one can still win two consecutive Grand Prix medals with old-school figure skating and it is enjoyable to watch her skate, too. She may become the first American woman to qualify for the Grand Prix Final since Ashley Wagner in 2015.
Bradie Tennell is ahead of Mariah in the standings (and effectively in the Final now). It would take very strange happenings at NHK for Mariah to qualify, since Satoko is also ahead of her. Two of Alena, Alina and Rika would have to miss.

Ladies
- Alexandra Trusova's skating is what it is. She's technically impressive, but I don't particularly enjoy watching her, and the Game of Thrones program (which sounded like a great idea) ended up being pretty dull in terms of music selections.
- Evgenia got her great skate at home. After the SCI disappointment, this has to have been rewarding.
- Mariah's free was her weakest of the ones we've seen this season (a lot of iffy landings in the first half), but she wasn't really in much danger of missing the podium.
- Satoko :sad21:
- Yuhana had another redemptive free skate after a bad short program. Please don't get back into this habit, Yuhana.

Men
- Twas a surprisingly well-skated men's event, particularly in that close-packed top group.
- Samarin PCS and GOE :eek::laugh:
- Aliev continues his pleasing upward trend, even if we got just a bit of the old Aliev with the Zayak. But even that resulted from very boldly trying the quad twice more after the first pop. So good job; definitely hosed on PCS.
- Ignatov also overscored in PCS, but this bothers me less for whatever reason.
- Not a perfect skate for Uno either, by any means, but huge step up from France, so I'll definitely take it.
- After Deniss' opening fall I was very worried indeed, but he held it together and delivered a good performance.
- Too bad for Nam that he wasn't able to make the Final, but he skated well, really just the pop (and his usual middling GOEs). He's set himself up nicely for the second half of the season if he can continue in this vein.

Pairs
- We may look back at this as the moment where Boikova/Kozlovskii really cemented their ascendancy. Two squeaky clean events in a row.
- Tarasova/Morozov mostly got the job done today, but it looked like work.
- Hase/Seegert take Fear/Gibson's title as the most surprising medalists of the Grand Prix this year. I was set to be disappointed for them since they so regularly struggle in the free skate, and Nolan kind of gave me a heart attack on that final lift, but they pulled it out.
- By the same token, too bad for Ziegler/Kiefer, who also seem to be on an upward trajectory now.
- New partnership, but yeesh, that was a mess from Stolbova/Novoselov.
- Walsh/Michaud are still struggling a bit, but there was some positive stuff here. Their twist is getting higher, and Evelyn landed the 3S for the first time in a long while.

Ice dance
- Ice dance scoring is a perennial bone of contention that I try not to get too, too argumentative about, since it is what it is, but it must be said, Nikita Katsalapov's twizzles are ugly as sin and shouldn't be getting the kind of GOEs they are.
- Maybe not quite as good as SCI for Piper & Paul, but they got the job done, and qualified to the Final in third position.
- Hurtado/Khaliavin have a lot of work to do before Spanish nationals.
- Kaliszek/Spodyriev were overscored, should have been behind the Lithuanians.
- Reed/Ambrulevicius have really won me over this season. They've got two really strong programs.
- Shpilevaya/Smirnov seized the moment after finally getting a Grand Prix.
- Happy for Lajoie/Lagha to skate better today after the disappointment in the RD.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Live report CoR 2019 day 2 (part 1)

The cold weather in Moscow took its toll on me: I caught a cold. May be it was the reason that I enjoyed figure skating today less than I hoped. May be it was something else…

We arrived for the second group of men. The same seats – the same guy behind us. I did not postpone direct measures: continuous fights on GS with those who are much less enthusiastic about Russian ladies than me have strengthened my will. I told him that I was overwhelmed by his sound producing talents but at the same time I have small kids and they may appreciate their father’s not being deaf. Well, my exact words were a bit different but the idea was that I asked him to stay quieter. Of course, I did it in Russian. Despite wearing Russia jacket the guy proved to be a foreigner with limited mastery of natives’ language. I had to do the same in English. And it worked fine after all. It was much queiter this time. Only once did he ask my permission to start shouting: it was when Stasya came on ice. He was her big fan. Of course, I did not mind: Stasya needed all support she could get…

Men’s event was just meh. Shoma started nicely but once again, it was before the first fall and a missed combo. He did not lose the energy like yesterday but he seemed a little less committed to being expressive after that. At the very end, he bravely tried 4T combo for the second time and fell. I thought that he would be zayaked to 0 but he still received some points for that. The crowd supported him anyway. How can one not support him when he presents us his smile?

Nam tried to be into some image – he even flirted with the audience. However, his skating was labored and slower than yesterday. May be he rationed his energy to survive until the end? I don’t know. But he did not impress me.

Deniss Vasiljevs once again skated better than I saw him skate before. If only he could deliver sharp triple axels he would do much better score wise. But a quadless man without a perfect 3A means no hope for a good overall result.

Dmitrij Aliev watered down his jump content yet another time. Still some of his jumps were not as beautiful as they can be. I would say that overall he did a solid job. But he can do much better. Today he even could not beat Samarin with just 1 quad.

I never saw Makar Ignatov before. I think that he is a promising skater. He will be a very good skater when in addition to beautiful quads at the beginning he will add overall commitment to music and beef up his stamina. The last minute of his program looked like a torture.

Either lord Samarin decided that he could do fine with just one quad or he just could not rotate the other ones. They did not look like popped jumps to me. Overall, I enjoyed his free program much less than his short one. His big vehicle of top speed was not used today. May be they know that he won’t last 4 full minutes skating with the same intensity like he does during the short program? The music was interesting, his shirt was interesting. His skating was not. On the other hand, I cannot say that he robbed anyone. It was a meh event…

…to be continued

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Live report CoR 2019 day 2 (part 1)

We arrived for the second group of men. The same seats – the same guy behind us. I did not postpone direct measures: continuous fights on GS with those who are much less enthusiastic about Russian ladies than me have strengthened my will. I told him that I was overwhelmed by his sound producing talents but at the same time I have small kids and they may appreciate their father’s not being deaf.

Well, I hope I played some small part in your ability to have your neighbor quiet down ;) :laugh:

Seriously, I love in rink reports and particularly ones that make me feel like I am in rink. Agreements on skating matter less. Thank you.:clap:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Here's my scoring for this week's ladies. Just a reminder...
Since I'm the lone judge here, GOEs for each element will be set values instead of means, and PCS will always end with a 0, so it'll be quite different from taking the average of 9 judges. Also, I initially judged live (or with no spoilers), so I did my best to mimic how these skates are really scored. Which means...
1) I didn't immediately replay elements during the performance, and usually didn't mark URs/edges unless they were very obvious in real-time. Like the judges, I waited until the slow-mo to pay closer attention to these elements.
2) For spin/step levels, I first went with whatever the TES box showed after the element was completed. Then when the protocols came out, I changed the levels to match whatever's on the protocol as I'm not too good with levels yet . This also applies to URs/edge calls that I didn't notice when watching live.
3) I also judged PCS before the actual scores were announced, so that I wouldn't be persuaded by the judges' PCS.

The brackets contain placements and how much the score derives from the original.

1. Alexandra Trusova 220.55 (-13.92)
SP: 39.19+31.40 = 70.59 (2) (-3.62)
Slightly lower GOE to the layback and steps was what caused the 1-point drop in TES. I think this SP is a great fit for Sasha, but nevertheless her artistry and skating skills still leave a lot to be desired. The TR score saved her PCS from being too low.
FS: 93.16+58.80-2 = 149.96 (1) (-10.30)
Thought that the euler combo and the step sequence GOE were too high, but everything else was solid. The PCS though...I think this program is severely lacking in just about every PCS aspect (except TR somewhat). Her skating skills were rather weak, she showed virtually no emotion in her expression or movements whatsoever, and there were only rare moments of her choreo or elements matching the music. (Sorry if I anger anyone with the low PCS, but that's just how I see it)

2. Evgenia Medvedeva 216.88 (-8.88)
SP: 39.13+33.80 = 72.93 (1) (-4.00)
Just like Sasha, lower GOEs here and there equated to a 1-point drop in TES. The step sequence was wonderful, albeit a little overscored. Overall, this is a nice program for her, but the absurd music editing (which affected composition) and a slight lack of musical timing before the step sequence prevented me from giving higher PCS.
FS: 73.95+70.00 = 143.95 (2) (-4.88)
TES was about the same. The program still needs work, but THIS is the performance that I've been waiting to see from Evgenia. The execution was simply amazing, and she showed great passion and power on the artistic side, which I felt was missing from her Skate Canada performance (don't get me wrong, that one was good too but this was even better).

3. Mariah Bell 205.79 (+0.12)
SP: 34.30+32.40-1 = 65.70 (3) (-1.41)
All elements other than the fall were executed pretty nicely. Again, the program is not my cup of tea, but her performing and interpreting ability is impressive.
FS: 70.89+69.20 = 140.09 (3) (+1.53)
Other than the shaky jump landings, I felt that her GOEs on about half of the elements were too low, hence the higher TES. Once again, she presented a beautiful program in a beautiful manner. She didn't let the shaky landings get in the way of the performance, which was great to see.

4. Satoko Miyahara 190.90 (-1.92)
SP: 29.30+33.80 = 63.10 (6) (+0.01)
I (surprisingly) ended up with higher TES and lower PCS, but they both evened out so the final score was basically identical. She was a little tentative with her execution here, but even so she did have better musicality than Medvedeva IMO, which contributed to them tying in PCS.
FS: 58.80+69.60-1 = 127.40 (4) (-1.93)
In addition to the already-existing UR calls, I added one to the first 3Lz. The program is still incredible and Satoko performed it well despite the errors and shaky landings, but I can't deny that the overall impact of the performance suffered.

Quoting myself from before: "If I undermarked your fave, then I'm sorry and please don't attack me...this is just for fun and I have my own opinion just as you have yours :confused2:"

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Well, I did not expect a Russian sweep in men, but I´m glad that apparently they now have 3 strong male singles skaters. I kind of expected Aliev to bomb in the freeskate, glad that he did not... From these Russian skaters I became a fan of Aliev and especially of Makar Ignatov, WOW. I could not understand how Samarin´s GOE was sooo high, because many of his jumps did not look so perfect to me in his programs.

WOW, I was extremely glad for Medvedeva´s sp and freeskate, they were just fantastic!!! Feeling sad for Satoko, as also her skating is so beautiful to watch.