How to skate forwards doing half lemon? | Golden Skate

How to skate forwards doing half lemon?

maddie822

Spectator
Not sure exactly what to call this.. But I've recently started skating and I've got regular forward motion down, and lemons/swizzles. When I'm practicing I see a lot of other people skating without lifting their foot, just kind of doing a slight motion with one foot in a lemon/swizzle motion a bit behind them. What is this called, if it has a name?

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I imagine you are talking about power pulls; they're like a slalom, but done just on one foot. This is actually very difficult at your level - it's not introduced into the class structure until the Freeskate levels in the USA. Are you taking lessons? I highly recommend joining group lessons to get started on the right foot, so to speak! Trying to learn from just watching other people is dangerous and can lead to lots of bad habits.

Welcome to skating, and good luck! :biggrin:

Elija

On the Ice
Do you mean on one foot or without lifting either foot? As bunnybarista said, if it's on one foot, that's slalom, but if both feet are on the ice they're probably doing C pushes, which are like half a swizzle. If it's on a curve you just move the outside foot in a C pattern (pumping) and if it's straight you alternate making C shapes on each foot.

maddie822

Spectator
actually slalom was the word I was looking for! So thank you. I'm taking group classes, and we touched on slaloms for just a second last week but I forgot the word for it and we didn't go over it much.

maddie822

Spectator
Yeah C Pushes is definitely what I was thinking of. I take group classes every Saturday, and I've been seeing things there, and then practicing throughout the week. The classes are 30 mins so they usually touch on a lots of things pretty quick, so then the next week we perfect it. I wanted to practice the C-pushes but I couldn't remember what they were called so I couldn't look it up to recall what to do xD

Elija

On the Ice
You will probably learn two-foot slaloms fairly soon too. Just like skiing slalom, with both feet moving the same direction rather that one at a time different ways like C pushes. Power pulls (one foot slalom) will be much later. Good luck!