Keeping track of coaching, etc-Is there an app for that? | Golden Skate

Keeping track of coaching, etc-Is there an app for that?

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I have two skaters who have three different on ice coaches, as well as an off ice workout and ballet coach. Plus scheduling skate sharpening requires a long drive to a “special guy” lol. At this point it all goes on my phone which is good for scheduling but terrible when I try to add up time for paying coaches and figuring out when to sharpen skates etc. It clogs up my calendar and it’s not so easy to see who’s worked with which coach or others details.

One other parent at our rink has a separate calendar app, but just separating them seemed like an incomplete solution. How does everyone keep track of these details so the info is accessible? Is there a good option out there or do I need to learn app development? Lol

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know you're not necessarily after an app, and I haven't used this but there is an app called Coach Concierge. Your coach(es) have to subscribe to it though. If you want to check it out: https://skater.coach/

VegMom

On the Ice
I don't have an app suggestion for you but I think I have a possible solution for the issue of your calendar seeming clogged and it's hard to see what's what. My suggestion is to create an accronym system. Then you make each calendar entry using the system. The short accronyms should be easier to see and sort and understand.

Example...
Child 1 = M
Child 2 = S

Coach 1 = A
Coach 2 = B
Coach 3 = C
Coach 4 = D
Coach 5 = E
Coach 6 = F

Ballet = Ba
Off Ice = OI

I would use letters from their names so it's easier to remember. For instance, Sammy becomes S, or Chevy Walter becomes CW.
I would reserve numbers for times. I would try to stay consistent with everything (for instance if I use two letters for one coach then I would use two letters for all coaches). And I would write out the code somewhere easily accessible so in case I forgot what the letters meant, I could refer to the code until I memorized it.

Example:

Sept 14 - MA1, SD3, MSBa4, MOI5

That would mean child 1 has coach 1 at 1pm, child 2 has coach 4 at 3pm, both children have ballet at 4, child 1 has off ice at 5pm.

Just a suggestion. I think it's what I would do in that situation.

skatingbeast

Rinkside
Country
United-States
If you use google calendar you can set up multiple calendars all within the one calendar app. So for example, you could have a separate calendar for skating or one for each skater. And you can turn them on and off which helps to declutter your calendar when viewing it.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
If you use google calendar you can set up multiple calendars all within the one calendar app. So for example, you could have a separate calendar for skating or one for each skater. And you can turn them on and off which helps to declutter your calendar when viewing it.

Seconding this! Also, I personally use google spreadsheets to log the hours I've skated (so I know when to get a sharpening), plus keep track of skating fees - I write down anything from buying new laces to paying for ice time to lesson fees and everything in between. (Sometimes those numbers are a little terrifying lol but I like to know how much I'm spending.)

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I know you're not necessarily after an app, and I haven't used this but there is an app called Coach Concierge. Your coach(es) have to subscribe to it though. If you want to check it out: https://skater.coach/

That is a cool app! I think I’ll show the coaches and see if they’d be interested in working through the app. Thanks a ton. One of the hardest things is figuring out all the payments.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I don't have an app suggestion for you but I think I have a possible solution for the issue of your calendar seeming clogged and it's hard to see what's what. My suggestion is to create an accronym system. Then you make each calendar entry using the system. The short accronyms should be easier to see and sort and understand.

Example...
Child 1 = M
Child 2 = S

Coach 1 = A
Coach 2 = B
Coach 3 = C
Coach 4 = D
Coach 5 = E
Coach 6 = F

Ballet = Ba
Off Ice = OI

I would use letters from their names so it's easier to remember. For instance, Sammy becomes S, or Chevy Walter becomes CW.
I would reserve numbers for times. I would try to stay consistent with everything (for instance if I use two letters for one coach then I would use two letters for all coaches). And I would write out the code somewhere easily accessible so in case I forgot what the letters meant, I could refer to the code until I memorized it.

Example:

Sept 14 - MA1, SD3, MSBa4, MOI5

That would mean child 1 has coach 1 at 1pm, child 2 has coach 4 at 3pm, both children have ballet at 4, child 1 has off ice at 5pm.

Just a suggestion. I think it's what I would do in that situation.

Seconding this! Also, I personally use google spreadsheets to log the hours I've skated (so I know when to get a sharpening), plus keep track of skating fees - I write down anything from buying new laces to paying for ice time to lesson fees and everything in between. (Sometimes those numbers are a little terrifying lol but I like to know how much I'm spending.)

I do use a bit of all these hints together. My DH is often confused by the gibberish. I don’t have enough separate calendars maybe. I can work with that a bit more. And also try a spreadsheet. I do like my budget spreadsheet. A bother separate one set up to track things like laces and ice time and coaching time might just be also needed. Good ideas here. Thanks