Smiling in a serious performance? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Smiling in a serious performance?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OED is my.go-to when I need help with my Charles Dickens stories, but Merriam-Webster does a much better job of staying current with the times.

I disagree... but could be wrong, I admit, American dictionaries aren't used here much.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I disagree... but could be wrong, I admit, American dictionaries aren't used here much.

Standard for Australia is the Macquarie, which is extremely good at keeping up to date. Merriam-Webster only makes the list of dictionaries to consult if you're writing for a US-based publication. ~removes editor hat~

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Aargh. A whole thread about denigrating Mariah's smile. My only contritbution: she interprets the music well. And...I love her smile.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I'm heartened by all the positive feedback that my original post has garnered (it has become my most upvoted post ever on this forum) It seems that a great many people recognize the importance of facial expressions in program interpretation.

I hope that someone is providing Ms. Bell with such feedback, so that she may reflect on her decisions going forward.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I hope she keeps her smiling joyful interpretation

I like her more uplifting take on Hallelujah and for her it works very well.
Mariah is free to chose whatever interpretation she wants, and she's getting good scores with this FS so why should she take any notice of what a few people say on an internet forum?

dancelion21

On the Ice
When I watched her program the first time, I really appreciated her smile. Mariah has a lovely smile, and I noticed that a lot of the other top ladies don't smile as much in their performances, and I wanted to smile with her as she performed. As previous posters have pointed out, this version of Hallelujah really draws you in because of how beautiful the voice is. As such, I like that Mariah skates a much happier rendition of it. I think it elevates her performance.