Smiling in a serious performance? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Smiling in a serious performance?

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Well yeah, but I also don't think it's really necessary for her to. It's cool when skaters are versatile and show off lots of different styles, of course, but ultimately you're just as likely to get criticized for struggling to portray something outside your wheelhouse as you are applauded for taking a risk. And the Britney Spears program was a risk.

I'm not saying Britney Spears wasn't a risk, I'm saying that it was less of a risk for her than picking, I don't know, Rachmaninoff. The point is that while she's excellent with the music that fits with her style of 'happy skating', Hallelujah isn't really 'happy skating' music. The OP was critising that, and while I don't really agree with their wording I am with them on the topic. Yes, Hallelujah can be interpreted as joyous religious enlightenment, but for that you can't have the lyrics. As TallyT said, a cold and a broken Hallelujah is not the signal for a big smile. She should've gone with the instrumental version if she wanted to use Hallelujah, and to be honest I think she would've been better off with other music. There are literally thousands of songs she could've used to display her style, her Celine Dion SP was beloved by everyone.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Speaking specifically on the interpretation of "Hallelujah," it's a song that was originally written by Leonard Cohen. According to wikipedia:

So yes I do believe there are multiple interpretations of Hallelujah and "joyous" is certainly one of them. My personal interpretation of "cold and broken hallelujah" is finding the light within the darkness, hope in hard times.
From that same wikipedia:
Canadian singer k.d. lang said in an interview shortly after Cohen's death that she considered the song to be about "the struggle between having human desire and searching for spiritual wisdom. It's being caught between those two places."
So if Ms. Bell's personal interpretation of this song requires a frozen smile, then she chose the wrong cover with which to portray it.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
And if you really wanted to take a risk with Leonard Cohen music Hallelujah is not the best choice. Everybody Knows or I fought against the bottle (but I had to do it drunk) or Dance me to the end of love.

Oh..and If anyone is brave enough to skate to "I'm your man" I'll give them all my fuzzy peaches.

Real risk taking would be letting Leonard sing his own darn songs.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
First they tell women to smile..then they tell women not to smile.

I prefer a sardonic sneer myself. That is what I go for.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd rather see her smile than the "I'm going to kill you now" look on some skaters' faces.

Hey, I like a "I'm going to kill you now" look as much as the next drama queen, but if someone did it while skating to the music Don't Worry Be Happy or Walking on Sunshine.... ummm, well to be fair the inner ear clash that wouldn't be the only reason I was wincing all over the house :eekn:

We criticise their costumes, we criticise their programs, we criticise their choice of music... interpretation is also a fair cop (as the ones who do their best stick puppet impressions through all sort of music can attest to, it's done all the time. Again, what is so different about this skater that we shouldn't?)

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I've met her several times, and I guess she can't help it that she's so happy! She just seems like a happy person in general. I'd rather see her smile than the "I'm going to kill you now" look on some skaters' faces.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9d/f0/60/9df060254313f14a1fe95bcc422e65b5.jpg
Keep on smiling Mariah!

It's a double standard though. When ladies skaters have more serious personalities and that comes through in their performances, they're often criticized for not emoting. Why is it only okay to consistently show your personality in your skating if you're a bubbly, "happy" person?

This is a weird thread, but I do find something trite about her delivery. But then again, this is a warhorse that many are tired of no matter how it's delivered.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread is a perfect example of why skaters should never pick Hallelujah for program music.
The darned song has become a warhorse, and like el henry, I don't like it.
I wince every time I hear another bad 'hallelujah' rhyme.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Well this is one of the more yikes threads I’ve seen in awhile.

Where are the mods, some of the comments being made towards Mariah here are extremely rude and not constructive at all.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
This thread is a perfect example of why skaters should never pick Hallelujah for program music.
The darned song has become a warhorse, and like el henry, I don't like it.
I wince every time I hear another bad 'hallelujah' rhyme.

Even Leonard thought it had been over done.

i think a lot of people think the song is happy or rejoicing but it really isn't. I love Leonard and I listen to a lot of his music. Leonard was and always will be a dark soul in so many ways and Hallelujah is no different.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
In skating, acting and a lot of performance arts, there are different options to choose from in how to interpret a role.

Some actors are beloved for being exactly the same kind of person in every performance.
Some actors are beloved for losing themselves in the character and transforming their performance.
Both are valid, but one can have preferences. And there are roles which are more suited to one or the other style.

Mariah has a very distinctive performing persona that does not change in any of her programs. She should bank on that with music/roles that best suits the kind of performer she is.
I personally think she should not try to change her natural style. But a musical change I'd heartily agree with.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Mariah has a very distinctive performing persona that does not change in any of her programs. She should bank on that with music/roles that best suits the kind of performer she is.
I personally think she should not try to change her natural style. But a musical change I'd heartily agree with.

But to be fair, and as you and I both know, skaters get dumped on all the time for 'sameyness' and lack of variation even when it's clearly spurious, so we can't blame her for trying to move out of her usual zone. I just think this was a wrong choice of song/interpretation.

Others - including, I might add, the judges - clearly disagree.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
But to be fair, and as you and I both know, skaters get dumped on all the time for 'sameyness' and lack of variation even when it's clearly spurious, so we can't blame her for trying to move out of her usual zone. I just think this was a wrong choice of song/interpretation.

Others - including, I might add, the judges - clearly disagree.

It's impossible to please everyone. Even the greatest and most loved programs have some nay-sayers who will gladly tell you it's overrated.
I think skaters just need to please themselves and the judges.

And then we all can dedicate threads about our gripes at the 1000'th Roxanne, yet another black pyjama costume and whether or not the interpretation is right for the music. -We must also please ourselves.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Just my two cents:

Fair to criticize (key word criticize) her interpretation as it is literally one of the scoring components. Interpretation as its name suggests is subjective - Mariah and/or her choreographers chose to interpret this piece in a more joyous way. I think it's a fair remark to think that smiling throughout the entire program for this particular song doesn't match what you think fits the musical interpretation, but perhaps I wouldn't say she's wrong or phrase it in the way of "stop smiling."

I've gotta be honest though, I personally still prefer emoting of some form over the majority of the other skaters who are stone faced and are clearly just focusing on doing the elements. Mariah could add more variety and deeper meaning to her interpretation, but in a field where most ladies have barely any interpretation, I'll take what she's giving.

Also, Mariah's still a skater who's struggling to find consistency in her technical side. Only recently has she been more consistent in landing the jumps and adding triple-triples. I can see why she chose to stick with more comfortable programs and styles in order to focus more on the technical elements. It's hard to juggle everything at once (see Satoko: diversifying her program styles, but still has to juggle her weak jumps). Sure, I'd be more impressed if she branched out to different styles, but I don't blame her for sticking to what she's good at for now.

KyngRafael

Rinkside
I find this thread unusual as well. I suppose there are times where the emotions portrayed are unsuitable or inappropriate with the music. I don’t find this to be the worst offender by any means and I tend to question the motivations of someone creating an entire thread to target one skater and not generally discussing a disconnect between the performance and song. What’s more, if you feel Mariah only has one expression, then I would invite you to refer to her Einaudi programme last year. It was sensitive, angsty and brooding. I think she’s capable of portraying other emotions and feelings.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Sometimes interpretations are objectively wrong. I could interpret a red traffic light to mean Go because red feels the most energetic of the colors (and I have a naturally bubbly personality), but that's not what any rational person would call a valid interpretation.

Performing kd lang's Hallelujah with a perpetually painted smile is just wrong.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Interpreting a traffic light is not really comparable to interpreting choreography, music, emotion, etc. I suppose you could take driving to be performance art, but then, even if you defied convention and took red to mean go, it still has the opposite meaning as per convention, and well, you could insist it's art, but it has real life consequences.

You might not agree with someone's artistic interpretation/vision, but that doesn't make his/her interpretation objectively wrong. Objective as defined by whom?