Smiling in a serious performance? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Smiling in a serious performance?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
ancientpeas is waiting anxiously for someone to do a Cruella deVille and/or Wicked Witch of the West program. ;)

Totes.

But what I'm really waiting for is a "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" program. Complete with green outfit.

"You're a mean one Mr. Grinch.."

"All the Whos down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot, but the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not. The Grinch hated Christmas - the whole Christmas season. Oh, please don't ask why, no one quite knows the reason. It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight. Or maybe his head wasn't screwed on just right. But I think that the best reason of all may have been that his heart was two sizes too small."

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
BTW..has anyone skated to "Defying Gravity" (from Wicked) yet? Or would that be just a little too much like tempting fate?

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Evgenia did break characters a little with her 9/11 program but it wasn't meant to be that way and I don't understand why people criticised her for it. A teenage girl skating a performance that could win her gold, I don't blame her for any lapse in focus on the interpretation. I think she did very well with it overall

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Totes.

But what I'm really waiting for is a "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" program. Complete with green outfit.

"You're a mean one Mr. Grinch.."

"All the Whos down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot, but the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not. The Grinch hated Christmas - the whole Christmas season. Oh, please don't ask why, no one quite knows the reason. It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight. Or maybe his head wasn't screwed on just right. But I think that the best reason of all may have been that his heart was two sizes too small."

Mana Kawabe's SP this season is to "You are a mean one Mr. Grinch". Her dress is red though

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
So the (very emo) rock band My Chemical Romance have reformed... maybe next season Mariah should do a complete 360° turnaround, go full Emo Princess and skate to "Welcome to the Black Parade"

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember when people criticized Mirai for her "stone face" while skating to that elegiac Chopin piece. I love Mariah's smile. In fact, it really made the program for me. After all of her difficult elements were done, she broke into that smile during her spiral. It reminded me of the old days when people spoke about Michelle's "smiral."

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So the (very emo) rock band My Chemical Romance have reformed... maybe next season Mariah should do a complete 360° turnaround, go full Emo Princess and skate to "Welcome to the Black Parade"

I love Welcome to the Black Parade". Someone should skate to that. Someone should also skate to Stone Temple Pilots "Interstate Love Song" just because I love it and would be all excited every time they skated.

I think Alexandra could do an excellent job with Defying Gravity.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
IMO there's a difference between "she's just happy no matter what she's skating to" and "she's choosing to interpret the music as joyful." The latter is more defensible.

Women (not men, for *some* reason :scratch2: ) get more criticism for wearing serious expressions than smiley ones, which is problematic to say the least.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
IMO there's a difference between "she's just happy no matter what she's skating to" and "she's choosing to interpret the music as joyful." The latter is more defensible.

Women (not men, for *some* reason :scratch2: ) get more criticism for wearing serious expressions than smiley ones, which is problematic to say the least.

Well..there is no equivalent male expression for "Resting (female dog) face" so that should tell us all something.

noskates

Record Breaker
AncientPeas - you have made me laugh out loud several times today. And I thank you as it's a gloomy 29 degrees here and cold.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
AncientPeas - you have made me laugh out loud several times today. And I thank you as it's a gloomy 29 degrees here and cold.

Thanks.
For a minute though I thought you mean 29C and I looked at your flag and thought maybe you were in Aussieland or South East Asia. Then I realized 29F. We just got through a cold snap here. We had several days of -10 C days and really cold nights and set a few records. Also we got.. 5 inches of snow. We normally don't get snow until late November or early December so getting snow in the first week of November sucks.

Stay warn and in the light! Have a hot chocolate.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
There is nothing wrong with being critical of a performance, or not liking it. But there is a reason the mods edited the original post and topic title. It was not constructive. It was unkind.

So what is insulting about saying that in one's opinion, her smiley version of a decidedly unsmiley song clashes in the Psmithian inner ear? Goodness knows, enough people criticise other skaters' choices and interpretations, why is this particular American off-limits?

It all reminds me of a particularly joyous Australian TV show years ago that as one of its segments did the song Stairway to Heaven in every conceivable and many inconceivable style. Great fun, since it was deliberate pastiche/parody (my own particular favourites were uber-Wagnerian, lounge lizard, and ultra-campy Gilbert&Sullivan pirates). Of course, when Led Zeppelin fans found out, they were furious at the 'insult' (the band on the other hand thought it was hilarious and asks for tapes).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh, there is a possible interpretation that allows for a smile. There is always one. How about, when one lived through all that love and loss, and the faith crisis, and still can smile, well Hallelujah!

Also, it could be a ‘sorry, guys, I just had to skate to this song’ smile. And a giggle.