Please, no more aerial camera shots! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Please, no more aerial camera shots!

zounger

Medalist
I don't mind the cameraman increasing their 3D space CO mark by shooting form all over the place.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Agreed.

Not only it adds nothing, but it also ruins the different variations which are difficult to see from above.

Worse than that there are only the close-up shots at the blade during a spin.

PinkElephants

Rinkside
I agree with you all, the most annoying was a few days ago at the gala, when Satoko was setting up to end on a spin and I was sooo excited to see her gorgeous layback... and then they cut away to an aerial shot + a shot of her skates (?) Completely ruins what was supposed to be the highlight of the program, I was so mad I didn't get to see it!!

I admit I did like the panning aerial thing they did at the start of each program at COC, I think it worked really well for pairs and dance and enhanced the dramatics, but seeing it once per program is more than enough. And it's utterly ridiculous and pointless for spins and twizzles. You'd think a Russian crew would know how to properly film skating, but there it is:drama:

1111bm

Final Flight
Agreed, hate it.

You know what's also annoying as hell? Zooming in on a skater's face when the skater is doing their freakin' step sequence, what the heck camereman?!! Or even just doing some nice footwork as part of their transitions. I get showing a close up of their face for a few seconds to showcase some emoting through facial expressions, but come on, don't stay on their face for a solid 10 seconds when there's actual skating happening below their chins!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Ugh, I abhor aerial footage and closeups during the performance.:bang:

I hate how they always cut to the aerial shots during spins. You can't friggin see what's happening in a spin from a top-down angle! :ddevil:

Also annoying, when they zoom in on a skaters foot or face during a spin...or jump or any movement. :gaah:

Save the aerial shots and close ups for the replay footage.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I HATE the aerial cam too. The coverage of following the skaters was going along nicely until we got to China. Then that dang aerial cam came into play.
When they got to Rostelecom and cut to an aerial during Mariah Bell's lovely layback spin, it was all I could do to not throw something at my TV.

I have actually sent comments to NBC in the past when the aerial was used or when some really dumb cutaways were done (like cutting away from the competitor to show their coach's reaction). But I really don't know how much control is theirs vs the camera people and technical directors (the real culprits) of the hosting country.
I was so hopeful that camera coverage was improving this year. But *no*. <sigh>

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Disagree, actually. There are some shots where aerial cams are bad -- no one wants to see Anna Shcherbakova's candlestick Biellman from above -- but I actually thought that the Cup of China dynamic aerial cam was at times extremely cool. For example, the shot of Young You's Ina Bauer was super dramatic and cool, plus the general trend at CoC of shooting the first moments of the program with the sweeping aerial cam was a much more interesting introduction than a close up of the skaters' face. (Ex: Sui/Han's FS).

Spins should not be viewed from above, since you really can't see the positions. But on the whole I liked more of the CoC aerial shots than I disliked. It gave a very cinematic feel to the performances. I didn't watch enough of Rostelecom to have an opinion about the camera work there, though.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
For those of us who do not enjoy overhead shots very much we can only hope the practical Japanese do not think this is a good idea.

I totally agree that is actually worse when camerapeople focus on a skaters face when they are doing footwork or spinning than the overhead shots.

Also.. why was their slow motion replay of them bowing at center ice when the group was announced? Were we supposed to be impressed by their acknowledging the crowd technique? Is their a minimum number of times you have to bow to get the full BV for your introduction?

Ducky

On the Ice
I kind of like them -- especially during worlds or the Olympics when you can tell the camera people and producers are using the earlier non-exciting contenders to get the fancy shots out of their system before they have to go with more staid angles. Kind of how the lack of jumps means that the ice dancing highlight reel is far more artsy with the choice of shots.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
For those of us who do not enjoy overhead shots very much we can only hope the practical Japanese do not think this is a good idea.

I totally agree that is actually worse when camerapeople focus on a skaters face when they are doing footwork or spinning than the overhead shots.

Also.. why was their slow motion replay of them bowing at center ice when the group was announced? Were we supposed to be impressed by their acknowledging the crowd technique? Is their a minimum number of times you have to bow to get the full BV for your introduction?

I thought it was ISU's subtle way of saying, See? They ARE prettier than you.

;)

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Whose idea was it, to have aerial camera shots during the Rostelecom Cup?

What's the point? None of us watch figure skating from a bird's eye view, so it is a ridiculous idea. It completely spoils the look of a spin, and does nothing much for any other elements.

Of course, if anyone here has a different view on this, I would be interested to hear it.

Otherwise - please, if the powers that be read this: NO MORE AERIAL SHOTS!

Thank you.

thank you for summing up my feelings <3

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I'm ok with aerial shots during transitions or step sequence but NOT during a spin (!!!) where it ruins the view of the pretty body line and positions
Going into top shot during a layback spin???? I was so pissed XD Sorry I have so many feelings about camerawork LOL