Thoughts On My Skate Reccomendation | Golden Skate

Thoughts On My Skate Reccomendation

travelingspins

Spectator
Hi! Yesterday I went to my pro shop for a fitting appointment. My coach had reccomended I look into skates that are stiffer and blades that have a better rocker. I currently have the Riedell Motion 255 with Eclipse Astra blades, I have all my single jumps (lutz is a little inconsistent), and I'm working on camel spins. For reference I am in my late teens, am 125lbs, and skate for about 4 hrs once a week. My pro shop reccomended me Jackson Elles. Right off the bat I am a little concerned to switch to Jacksons because I have been in riedell for 3+ years so if anyone has had experience with that please let me know. Another concern I have is that the description on kinzies closet says that the jackson elles are for more beginner skating like half rotation jumps. Will they hinder my ability to start working on axels? Additionally, the stiffness rating is lower than my current riedell motions (but from what I understand there is no universal stiffness rating system so I'm not sure if it matters or not).
When I tried on the Jacksons they were different. I didnt have my skates with me to compare but it was surprising to me the Jacksons fit on my narrow feet since they are known to be for wider feet. What was different was the amount of room I had in the toe box, but from what I understand skates only need to be secure around the ankle. When I went home and put on my riedell skates, however, they fit like a glove (no space in the toe box) and I'm not sure if this difference will have any effect on my skating. I wanted to get your input on this as I dont know much about Jacksons or new skates in general. My fitter is very knowledgeable in figure skating but I cant help but be confused and worried because this is likely my last pair of skates for a while. Thank you so much if you read through this.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Welcome! I'll give you opinion #1. :)

If Riedells fit your feet and you're used to a secure toe box, I'd say stick with that brand but go up in stiffness since it sounds like you'll be working on axels and doubles in the future.

I wear custom Harlicks; they also have the secure toe box. I tried Klingbeils on when they were around and there was way too much room in the toe box for my liking. I also bought a pair of slightly used Jacksons to use when I teach classes. I could feel the wider toe box and had a lot of problems with corns developing on my little toes.
If you like your Reidells, stick with them. They are a good brand.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’d definitely recommend sticking with Riedells if you like how they fit, but if you decide to switch to Jacksons, the Elle is definitely not stiff enough for the jumps you’re doing. Jackson’s boot guide recommends at least the Debut for skaters over 115lbs doing singles.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you like Riedell I would stay with them. The only problem is this, you are currently in a Motion which is rated a 70, and for single and double jumps. There is the Flair which is also a 70 for Singles and doubles and then you'd need to choose a blade, best bet being John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro. Since they're both rated 70, you aren't really going anywhere with boot stiffness. The next boot up in Riedell is a 435 Bronze Star, it's rated for singles and doubles and is an 80 stiffness, this is the one to go with if you want a bit of a stiffer boot, but nothing too stiff. Because after that it's 90 and up and you really don't need that right now. I'd honestly be hesitant to put you in an 80, because there are elites/pros like myself skating in 85 and 90 stiffness and we're knocking out triple triples.

I can give recommendations for Jackson, if you would like to look into those, but I agree that if you are comfortable in the fit of Riedell, I'd stay with them.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
So I’m going to be another person saying stick with the Riedell’s if there wasn’t a specific reason they didn’t fit well. Looks like IC3Rabbit gave some good recommendations. If you are wanting an upgraded blade then it looks like you still have options with what they offer.

The Elle from the fusion series of Jackson has a different heel height than Riedell I believe. As well as a different toe box. Did the tech say why he thought it would be a good choice for you? Did he put you in a narrow version on the Elle? I am not familiar enough with Riedell to compare but my two skaters happen to be in Jackson for a few different styles in the Jackson fusion line.

I’ll also share that having just a bit too much extra width in the toe box for my younger skater ended up with her having issues with getting onto and staying on her correct edges. We fiddled with inserts and moving the blade and all sorts of things before buying new, narrower boots. It isn’t just about your heel in the boot.

Also, my older skater is about your size, also a teen, with a good fit in Jackson skates but she went into a Debut from an Elle at about the same point you are in skill level. FWIW

Sibelius

On the Ice
I'm a big fan of Jacksons for my skater, she's on her 8th pair I think, and that included a pair of pre-Fusion Elle's which were a great boot for her (she was 9, and 50 lbs at the time). I would question the recommendation of them for you if Riedell's fit you well, and really question that particular choice at your size and skill level. I post this all the time, but it's Jackson's boot recommendations by weight and skill. You would be in a Debut at a minimum. I would at least go back to the fitter and get some reasons why they made that suggestion. I do know a fitter that is very conservative and does recommend that boot to lots of skaters at various skill levels, but I doubt even she would put you in that one. She would keep you in Riedell and go from there, usually suggesting boots on the softer side since she's always concerned with overbooting skaters. We had several discussions about moving my skater up to stiffer boots and she always disagreed. We moved on, and it turns out mine just likes the feeling of stiffer boots so that's what we insist on now. She's now 11, weighs 85 lbs, working on doubles and is currently in the Premiere, which is really stiff according to all.

https://jacksonultima.com/pages/jackson-fit-guide

Nimyue

On the Ice
I just want to add another voice to this - stick with what you know works! you can introduce all sorts of issues changing boots that wouldn't anticipate.

Also I can't imagine any fitter putting an adult in an Elle if they have all their singles.... That seems very irresponsible to me. Like the others have said a Debut at minimum, but I would recommend a Premiere. I'm doing Axels and Dbl Sals and I have had to wear my Freestyles while my other boots (Jackson Elites) have had work done on them. I've had three good fitters giving me a side-eye when they find out I keep doing axels and dbls in my freestyles (Which have a similar stiffness to the debut btw).

Either way, definitely find a fitter that carries Riedel and will fit you for them.

2Axel

Rinkside
If you have a narrower foot and find Riedell's to be comfortable, you may not feel the same security in Jackson. I have the opposite problem -- wider feet with a narrow heel and have incredible pain in both Riedell and Risport (my current boot). The incorrect shape can really have a negative impact on your progress. I'd say if you're happy and comfortable in a brand, to stick with it as long as you can. You may find eventually that another brand suits you, but I wouldn't necessarily try to fix something that isn't broken. :thumbsup:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you have a narrower foot and find Riedell's to be comfortable, you may not feel the same security in Jackson. I have the opposite problem -- wider feet with a narrow heel and have incredible pain in both Riedell and Risport (my current boot). The incorrect shape can really have a negative impact on your progress. I'd say if you're happy and comfortable in a brand, to stick with it as long as you can. You may find eventually that another brand suits you, but I wouldn't necessarily try to fix something that isn't broken. :thumbsup:

I think it depends on the model you are wearing in Jackson, Riedell or Risport. I have a foot that is wider toebox and more narrow towards the heel and wear Jackson and Risport for each of my disciplines, respectively.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The fact that the fitter wants to put you into Jackson Elles when Riedell fits you like a glove and you’ll be starting axel soon seems really weird to me. How do you know your fitter is knowledgeable? If it were me I guess I’d start by asking him/her to explain the recommendations and then would probably also consult another fitter.

1111bm

Final Flight
I weigh about 12 lbs less than you, similar skating level, and I'm in old Jackson Competitor skates (55 stiffness according to Jackson's chart) and afaik the old Elle version was only a 35 in stiffness? (don't know about the newer one).
I can't imagine why anyone would recommend such a soft boot to you. :scratch2:

travelingspins

Spectator
Just an update:
Thank you for all the replies! I had no idea anyone would respond. I checked with my coach about this and she disagreed with the fitter's recommendation but still believes I should move to Jackson skates. And I know many of you have said to stick with riedells but now I am conflicted. The main issue is I am not sure if the jacksons of a higher level will fit me like a glove in the toe box or not (because my coach did mention that with a higher level jackson it may not be an issue anymore). She said she would talk to the fitter about it.
To reply to tavi, I know the fitter is knowledgeable bc he is the go to figure skating guy at my rink and my coach reccomended I see him. He told me he reccomended elles based on my physique and skating level but then again he has never seen me skate so that may be why he reccomended a low level skate. But I'm not entirely sure and I wish I had asked more questions during the fitting.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The fitter should be able to order a pair of Jackson's in your size to try on.
If you like them you can buy them; and if not he should be able to send them back (at least that's how it works for a Jackson rep I know). Ask!

Also ask if they can order the Riedell's that Ic3Rabbit suggested in Post #4 for you to also try on, with no obligation to buy. That way, you can compare the two boots. I think you're going to find a vast difference in the feel to your feet.
Whatever you decide, let us know!!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
told me he reccomended elles based on my physique and skating level but then again he has never seen me skate so that may be why he reccomended a low level skate.

Based on your physique and level...? :jaw: I weigh 95 lbs (<---will delete that number for privacy once you've seen this post, so please blank it out if you quote this, lol!), and I just switched from Freestyles to Debuts because I was struggling with my single loop and flip and can barely do ANY spins. Elles were never even mentioned for me, let alone should they be on the table for someone who wants to start Axels.

I highly suggest PMing Ic3Rabbit to see if she knows a good fitter in your area. Yours may be the go-to at your rink, but I won't sugarcoat it: that doesn't mean he necessarily knows what he's doing, or that taking his advice won't be a very, very expensive mistake.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Just an update:
Thank you for all the replies! I had no idea anyone would respond. I checked with my coach about this and she disagreed with the fitter's recommendation but still believes I should move to Jackson skates. And I know many of you have said to stick with riedells but now I am conflicted. The main issue is I am not sure if the jacksons of a higher level will fit me like a glove in the toe box or not (because my coach did mention that with a higher level jackson it may not be an issue anymore). She said she would talk to the fitter about it.
To reply to tavi, I know the fitter is knowledgeable bc he is the go to figure skating guy at my rink and my coach reccomended I see him. He told me he reccomended elles based on my physique and skating level but then again he has never seen me skate so that may be why he reccomended a low level skate. But I'm not entirely sure and I wish I had asked more questions during the fitting.

It seems like you are doing a good job of asking questions. Going back to the fitter with more questions seems like a good next step. Sometimes theres a good reason, and sometimes coaches and fitters have random preferences. I know our coach and the “salesperson” at the rink always prefer to lean towards under booting.

There are also a bunch of factors that go into the fit of a boot, and it’s complicated. Maybe keep an open mind and try both if possible? One thing that could affect the recommendation for switching to Jackson is if your heel is even narrower than the ball of your foot. Ordering a narrow (A) width in the fusion line from Jackson would accommodate this since it’s a “split width” which means the heel is one width narrower in the stock boot. The more advanced boots do indeed have a different fit. Don’t forget that the boots need to be broken in, and the Jacksons can be heat molded. (Not sure about the Riedell you’d consider)

My skaters both went from a beginner Riedell to the Jackson. And my skater your size worked on axel exercises in her Elle but switched to the Debut for making axel attempts. Typically you’ll work on doubles right after your axel is clean so it can be a quick progression and you’ll need the stiffer boots pronto.

Don’t feel bad about asking question and taking time to consider all the input!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It seems like you are doing a good job of asking questions. Going back to the fitter with more questions seems like a good next step. Sometimes theres a good reason, and sometimes coaches and fitters have random preferences. I know our coach and the “salesperson” at the rink always prefer to lean towards under booting.

There are also a bunch of factors that go into the fit of a boot, and it’s complicated. Maybe keep an open mind and try both if possible? One thing that could affect the recommendation for switching to Jackson is if your heel is even narrower than the ball of your foot. Ordering a narrow (A) width in the fusion line from Jackson would accommodate this since it’s a “split width” which means the heel is one width narrower in the stock boot. The more advanced boots do indeed have a different fit. Don’t forget that the boots need to be broken in, and the Jacksons can be heat molded. (Not sure about the Riedell you’d consider)

My skaters both went from a beginner Riedell to the Jackson. And my skater your size worked on axel exercises in her Elle but switched to the Debut for making axel attempts. Typically you’ll work on doubles right after your axel is clean so it can be a quick progression and you’ll need the stiffer boots pronto.

Don’t feel bad about asking question and taking time to consider all the input!

Personally, with the recommendation that fitter gave OP in the first place, I would not be going back to them as they obviously don't know how to fit to level properly.

OP, Find another reputable fitter who will put you in the correct fitting boot for your skill set.