ISU Skating Awards | Page 6 | Golden Skate

ISU Skating Awards

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
I think, that all the nominees are just random. And organizers already decided who can get the prize. All the rest are just extras

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I have seen that costume and the news of its nomination on a few mainstream social media sites. Many people are interpreting this as half nazi-half prisoner costume so it seems even worse than just insensitive use of symbols.

Also, I'm afraid that now figure skating will be considered more as a dress contest than serious sport. I wish ISU could abolish this nomination all together. It doesn't say anything about skaters' abilities. If at least the designer and/or tailor were mentioned, that'd make more sense. Not to mention that non-medal contenders probably don't have a chance win this award (I gave my vote to Eunsoo, but I'm 95% sure she will not get near to winning).

I heard the idea that it was supposed to be a business man (i.e. the suit/Schindler) protecting/hiding/concealing the Jewish people. Slightly better than half and half... i mean i can process the idea at least.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I heard the idea that it was supposed to be a business man (i.e. the suit/Schindler) protecting/hiding/concealing the Jewish people. Slightly better than half and half... i mean i can process the idea at least.

You can, I can, many of us FS fans can to some extent, but the general uneducated spectator w/o knowledge of European 20th century history cannot?

Choosing this kind of costume is already insensitive IMO, but ISU thoughtlessly nominating it even more. ISU isn't doing itself any favours by running shady, non transparent contests with only their pre-selected entries. And like some of us thing, pre-rigged in the outcome.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Well, if the ISU’s objective in developing its award show concept was to increase public awareness of, and interest in, skaters and skating, it has certainly succeeded! Everybody is talking about Mr. Shulepov and his costume now.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm starting to feel sorry for Anton S, his costume was really, really stupid choice, but I'm pretty sure everyone who's read the articles hates him now and quite a few probably think he's a Nazi sympathiser! I can't imagine him ever living it down.

The ISU totally dropped the ball here, firstly by not strongly telling Anton S and his team that the costume was unacceptable (we'll leave aside the fact he should have known this) and secondly by allowing it to be nominated. Way to throw a guy under the bus. TBH, his skating career is probably over now.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I'm starting to feel sorry for Anton S, his costume was really, really stupid choice, but I'm pretty sure everyone who's read the articles hates him now and quite a few probably think he's a Nazi sympathiser! I can't imagine him ever living it down.

The ISU totally dropped the ball here, firstly by not strongly telling Anton S and his team that the costume was unacceptable (we'll leave aside the fact he should have known this) and secondly by allowing it to be nominated. Way to throw a guy under the bus. TBH, his skating career is probably over now.

Yeah, it was ignorant on his part but ISU was also negligent. At least initially only hardcore FS knew about this costume but then ISU's decision drew more attention to it.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

I hope that is not the case.
I do feel badly for all the backlash if he wasn't the one who chose the costume. Someone on his team really let him down here I think.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Yeah, it was ignorant on his part but ISU was also negligent. At least initially only hardcore FS knew about this costume but then ISU's decision drew more attention to it.

That's kinda the whole point. ISU's decision is not accidental nor a coincidence. :p

DenissVFan

Medalist
So Shulepov continues to wear this costume? I understand that he likely doesn't have infinite resources for costumes but at this point a better look would be to perform in this training outfit.

wintersmith

Rinkside
So Ted Barton interviewed the producer for this show. I get that they're trying to make the gala more "entertaining", but the whole red carpet, inviting "celebrities", making the skaters dress up in "nice clothes" and "making their voices heard" is so cringe-worthy, I can't even. Dude, it's a sport. The skaters are not working for the UN or whatever, nor are they actors. Is he trying to make this as superficial as possible? As much as I love, for instance, Nathan Chen's skating, I have no interest seeing him walking a red carpet in a suit, fake smiling for the cameras. This glorification stuff is weird.

Maybe it's just me?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Ted Barton interviewed the producer for this show. I get that they're trying to make the gala more "entertaining", but the whole red carpet, inviting "celebrities", making the skaters dress up in "nice clothes" and "making their voices heard" is so cringe-worthy, I can't even. Dude, it's a sport. The skaters are not working for the UN or whatever, nor are they actors. Is he trying to make this as superficial as possible? As much as I love, for instance, Nathan Chen's skating, I have no interest seeing him walking a red carpet in a suit, fake smiling for the cameras. This glorification stuff is weird.

Maybe it's just me?

Posters have addressed this earlier in the thread, but I’m still not seeing where it is that weird, to be honest.

Big name American sports do exactly that. NFL players walking into a theatre in their finest duds to pick up the ESPY for best comeback in a playoff game in 50 degree weather or some other ridiculous category.

And no one thinks NFL football is less of a sport:confused:

I have no problem with an awards ceremony constructed like this. Other sports do it all the time. But I like galas and they don’t need to be more entertaining. The combo is a bad idea.:dev2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ that is my view probably. The gala is a fine end-of-competition tradition. If they wanted to do an end-of-season awards show they should do it separately and not try to cram it in an existing event.

It’s clear there are going to be fewer skaters participating because of this combo and that’s a shame.

Last edited:

wintersmith

Rinkside
Posters have addressed this earlier in the thread, but I’m still not seeing where it is that weird, to be honest.

Big name American sports do exactly that. NFL players walking into a theatre in their finest duds to pick up the ESPY for best comeback in a playoff game in 50 degree weather or some other ridiculous category.

And no one thinks NFL football is less of a sport:confused:

I have no problem with an awards ceremony constructed like this. Other sports do it all the time. But I like galas and they don’t need to be more entertaining. The combo is a bad idea.:dev2:

I'm probably overreacting since I haven't seen what the show is going to look like yet, so it's hardly fair to be too negative here. I guess I'm just hoping for figure skating to have more "class" than "glamour". :slink:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm probably overreacting since I haven't seen what the show is going to look like yet, so it's hardly fair to be too negative here. I guess I'm just hoping for figure skating to have more "class" than "glamour". :slink:

Oh, I agree the awards shows are cheesefests, but I happen to like cheesefests; that doesn't mean everyone should. ;) Who knows how the skating one will turn out? I'd rather see the gala:slink:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The final awards will be decided by a "jury" made of of ISU-selected members. https://isu.org/figure-skating/isu-skating-awards They have the power to add several skaters who were not nominated. It is kind of unclear to me how the final nominees will be selected--by vote or by the jury. Members of the public did not get to vote for all categories. I wasn't even aware that the public voting was taking place--it is now closed. To me, it is the typical ISU distrust of the fans and the media. They know better and will make the final selection.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I hope they at least tell us who the public voted for.

The public is dumb and stupid and easily (mis)guided by their silly favouritsms. Only proven 'expert' votes are to be trusted. Without transparency, this could just turn into a contest of 'envelopes' ...

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
The final awards will be decided by a "jury" made of of ISU-selected members. https://isu.org/figure-skating/isu-skating-awards They have the power to add several skaters who were not nominated. It is kind of unclear to me how the final nominees will be selected--by vote or by the jury. Members of the public did not get to vote for all categories. I wasn't even aware that the public voting was taking place--it is now closed. To me, it is the typical ISU distrust of the fans and the media. They know better and will make the final selection.
I think they will try to make winners from worlds participants. That is why they need jury.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Apart from Zakaryan being very sorry over the cancellation of World Championships, whatever became of the public vote? Has it been tallied?

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
The public is dumb and stupid and easily (mis)guided by their silly favouritsms. Only proven 'expert' votes are to be trusted. Without transparency, this could just turn into a contest of 'envelopes' ...

The public is dumb and stupid? Wow, that’s a bit far. So you’re calling yourself dumb and stupid too