Skating music question | Golden Skate

Skating music question

bankaboard

Spectator
Hi! I'm new to the forum and have a question about the music skaters use. I'm in the audio industry and even after working with a lot of skaters on their programs, I guess I don't really understand why some music choices are made. Based on my experience, the music programs of more advanced skaters in higher-profile events tends to favor more traditional & conservative music while the programs of beginner/intermediate skaters at local/regional events tend to be more varied, covering everything from Rock n' Roll to EDM to TV and Movie soundtracks. Do you think this is this an accurate observation?

If so, are judges at the higher-profile events more resistant to change, or is there an unwritten rule about which music will be judged more favorably in these events? Is the industry slowly changing with the newer skaters leading the way? Is it something else?

I'm interested in any insights you may have.

Great topic. Welcome to Golden Skate and thanks for joining us.

I think the "slowly changing with newer skaters leading the way" is probably the right take. It has only been a few years since vocal music was allowed at all. Plus, I think that beginning skaters might be swept away by serious classical tomes, while for skaters at the top, the music can add depth and gravitas to their performance. I think you are right that a lot of figure skating judges might feel this way.

Plus, there are a few old workhorse pieces (Carmen, Turandot, Swan Lake) that are still used over and over, where the actual musical structure naturally supports the kind of movement seen in figure skating.

Last edited:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If so, are judges at the higher-profile events more resistant to change, or is there an unwritten rule about which music will be judged more favorably in these events? Is the industry slowly changing with the newer skaters leading the way? Is it something else?

I'm interested in any insights you may have.

It's probably a bit of all of these things, plus the fact that lower-level and junior competitions are sometimes livestreamed but almost never televised, whereas many of the higher-level/senior competitions are televised in...some nations, at least, and usually more than this year! :laugh: That means copyright issues are different, and more established skaters may choose to avoid any potential problems by using music they know is 'safe' for broadcast.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think there are also financial issues with the lower levels. If a piece of music is already cut to the correct time, if the coach or choreographer already has it in their arsenal, if the more classic pieces or workhorses are easier for a beginning skater to skate to - then that's what's going to happen. The elite skaters are generally (generally being the operative word) try to do something new and different. Sometimes it works out - skating to Coldplay for example, and sometimes it just degenerates into an awful ear experience like Samarin's freeskate. My ears are still recovering. Whatever music is chosen it should be skateable. Sometimes I think skaters just have it as background noise and go out and do their programs with no thought to music interpretation and that seems to happen at all levels, IMO. If you attend a US Nationals and take the time to watch the Novice and Junior skaters you get kind of a good idea of what I'm saying.

If you attend a U.S. Nationals and take the time to watch the Novice and Junior skaters you get kind of a good idea of what I'm saying.

True, but we do not expect the definitive ballet interpretation of the Black Swan from a twelve-year-old.

Even 16-year-old Alina Zagitova, as Olympic champion, just had to skate to Bad Guy. Why? Billie Ellish is is just so freaking awesome! :)