Why is figure skating losing and being pushed to a niche? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Why is figure skating losing and being pushed to a niche?

DenissVFan

Medalist
Not what I meant. In short track most literally anything can happen. You can be #6 guy, everyone else falls down, you cross finish line first, you win Olympic gold medal, boom! I have seen it happen, more than one time.

It would be the equivalent of, say, Conrad Orzel (I like Conrad, do not get me wrong) beating Yuzu. Chances are 0%. Or my babies Hawayek and Baker beating P&C and all other teams above them winning OGM. (I wish for it to be possible, but it isn’t.).

I've always preferred speed skating to short track. I guess I find the latter too stress inducing. I don't enjoy people falling and taking themselves out of contention (especially when they can't finish or get disqualified in their Olympic runs e.g. in alpine skiing, hurdles etc.).

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Skating is and has always been popular in the countries whose skaters are dominant. It’s no coincidence US figure skating was most popular in the period we had a long streak of world and Olympic champions, and has basically died in popularity since Michelle Kwan retired.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
More than any other reason this is why I support diversity. The more countries with skaters to root for the more popularity the sport has.

Since Ladies is the most popular discipline (other than Hanyu) the ideal break of the world top ten would be 2 Russians, 2 Japanese, 2 Americans, 1 Korean, 1 or 2 random Europeans, and a couple of random ladies from other places (Australia, Canada or South America). This has nothing to do with any one nation but having someone to root for no matter where you come from. This gets more people to tune in especially during the Olympics as a lot of national networks only cover sports they have a possibility of meddling. A deeply competitive field with a local hero to root for gets causal fans to tune in.

I say this as someone who has never rooted based on the country I am from. In '88 I wanted two Russian teams, a East German and a Canadian to win but I was okay with the American winner. But casual fans often need a person from their country to root for.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always preferred speed skating to short track. I guess I find the latter too stress inducing. I don't enjoy people falling and taking themselves out of contention (especially when they can't finish or get disqualified in their Olympic runs e.g. in alpine skiing, hurdles etc.).

I can’t say I generally enjoy people falling and taking themselves out. The Dan Jansen curse in long track wasn’t any fun either. But short track is chaos and anything can and does happen. That makes it fun and makes it short track. Of course I have my faves. Apolo Anton Ohno anyone? Good grief he is hot. Yes, I know he’s retired. Anyway.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Everything is becoming niche. More entertainment choices * increased ease in obtaining those choices = less average time that people are able to dedicate to any one thing.

Rather than avoid being a niche, figure skating needs to embrace its niche and cater to its most hardcore fans that are willing to spend tons of yen...er, I mean money, on the sport to support it.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Here in Finland it has been opposite way, until this year, during last decade. About 20 years ago we could only see some FS programs, maybe the Finns and 3-6 best and often time was something like 11 pm. This year national TV lost the rights to VIASAT but VIASAT too is broadcasting everything live and most of programs the broadcast at their free channel. For some old people, who are not used to watch programs during internet it is a pity. While national TV (YLE) had the the rights Some years they have not shownd GPs every year, but from Euros and Worlds they have been broadcasting everything at their internet Channel and quite much also live at TV. I think it has been after Finnish ladies started to reach medals, they started to broadcast also SPs. But as you can quess, Synchro is the most popular discipline in Finland. I think it is taking place from other disciplines in many ways.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Just replied must have wiped it out. In a nut shell the ISU leaders suck and the broadcasters are busy geo blocking all. If I didn’t have the NBC sports gold this year I would find every upload wiped off YouTube. It sucks for the skaters and us who still want to watch. Simply the end of times. Greed and callous indifference are at the bottom of most everything wrong on Planet earth. Lots of very old skating on YouTube of poor quality sadly. I couldn’t keep years of vhs. Or anything it turns out. For those who can get live streams that is great. But only skate America had commentary. I miss commentary. I miss the Eurosport guys. Anyone have links to them somewhere that I can watch of CBC coverage. Once the event is over why the heck not let everything be posted? We have so much censorship everywhere on internet. Young folks should be fighting this like crazy and demanding lots of free stuff! It’s the way to fight the corporate greed. Only way. Fight on millennials if you are watching FS in 2019!

Azikin

Medalist
Young folks should be fighting this like crazy and demanding lots of free stuff! It’s the way to fight the corporate greed. Only way.
But they don't. I don't think many people care. They just want to get a good job and have lots of money and a good life. Who cares that Internet gets worse and worse with everything centralized around Facebook, Youtube and Google that censor content more and more...

merrymarch

Spectator
As a long term fan who never skated but loved watching it, I stopped watching for quite some time after the 2002 Olympic pairs judging scandal. That a judge confessed to cheating and that the people involved are STILL in skating while the whistleblowers got kicked out blew my mind and I was so disgusted I stopped watching for a decade. I started watching again about 2013, but there are certain things I miss. I hate the sit spins where everyone's leg is off to the side. I miss beautiful spirals and footwork like Kurt Brownings. And why I am amazed at a quad from females, I watched both of them and was not that impressed. Just my 2 cents

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think we saw the answer to this question in pretty much all disciplines this weekend. It's not a sport any more...

I'm taking a break while I decide whether the skaters I love are worth watching the death throes.

skatefan17

On the Ice
Ladies was always my favorite discipline but seeing the writing on the wall and the direction the sport is headed, I think I may step away from being a fan for a long while again. I always loved how skating made you feel something and grew up appreciating skaters like Sasha Cohen or Maria Butyrskaia. Since Ashley Wagner has left, there’s been a void I can’t find anywhere else.

Bcash

Final Flight
I think we saw the answer to this question in pretty much all disciplines this weekend. It's not a sport any more...

I'm taking a break while I decide whether the skaters I love are worth watching the death throes.

How is it not a sport when amazing athletic feats were displayed? Perhaps it’s better to enjoy as a sport, and not as some conquest you think your favorites must win.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How is it not a sport when amazing athletic feats were displayed? Perhaps it’s better to enjoy as a sport, and not as some conquest you think your favorites must win.

This is the exact correct answer.

I enjoy the sport. Of all the active skaters, I prefer Nathan, just because I like his laid back vibe. But I'm perfectly content if he's beaten when it's the proper outcome.

Right now, he's dominant. I don't see how it can be viewed otherwise. He hasn't lost in two-plus years. In fact, I'm not even sure if he's lost a segment in that time.

But you know what, I can't wait until he's regularly beaten by someone else. Because that someone else will be spectacular. He'll have to be.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker

Explain why you think it's not a sport?