Is Aliona Kostornaia the next WC? | Golden Skate

Is Aliona Kostornaia the next WC?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Even if up against the two quading Russian team mates I i think this girl has really got it all. Love watching her and the triple axel is huge. Wondering how Rika can catch up...

Last edited by a moderator:

readernick

Medalist
Even if up against the two quading Russian team mates I i think this girl has really got it all. Love watching her and the triple axel is huge. Wondering how Rika can catch up...

I hope so. Or, more precisely, I hope the next WC is either Aliona or Rika. To me they are two skaters who exemplify what figure skating should really be. Which is quality elements, good skating skills, and a consistent effort to improve technically and artistically.

About what Rika can do... 1. add her 3Lz back because not having it is bring her scores down by about 10 points between short and free. 2. Include her 4S

lusterfan

Final Flight
She definitely has the scores to be competitive against Sasha and Anna (and Rika if she pulls out her quad). However, I would wait until at least after today's FS. She has skated only twice on the senior international level. There's a long time until Worlds! Anna with an extra quad, Sasha with cleaned up quads, and Rika with a consistent quad will not be pushovers. While she's my favorite of the top bunch, I will reserve my judgement for now. :pray:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
well without a quad she will need three clean triple axels and have a lead after the sp. I have no idea realistically if Rika has the quad but if she does three 3A's she could beat AK.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The next world champion is whoever performed the best out of both SP and FS at the World Championship.

But okay if you want to crown the next world champ before the event even happened. :p

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
The next world champion is whoever performed the best out of both SP and FS at the World Championship.

But okay if you want to crown the next world champ before the event even happened. :p
I mean there are people already corwing the next olympic champion, so I think worlds is not too far off [emoji23]

frida80

Record Breaker
Trusova become more consistent as the season progresses. It will be hard to for anyone else to win if she lands all her quads.

liv

Record Breaker
I certainly hope so, if it's mainly between her and her two fellow Russian Grand prix champions. Of the 3 she has the most complete package. Technically Sasha has the advantage, but the rest of her skating isn't at the same level. If Alena can hit her short and stay clean in the long, with both clean axels, then she could win... but, if, if and if....

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

We don’t know who RusFed will send into worlds, in other words if both Trusova and Scherbakova would make it as well. I would wait for their national standings to see how the Russians themselves would rank their leading ladies.

E

eterialskater

I hope so. Or, more precisely, I hope the next WC is either Aliona or Rika. To me they are two skaters who exemplify what figure skating should really be. Which is quality elements, good skating skills, and a consistent effort to improve technically and artistically.

About what Rika can do... 1. add her 3Lz back because not having it is bring her scores down by about 10 points between short and free. 2. Include her 4S

Give it up dear. Last season was her chance and she blew it. Now with 3 super high level competitors the chances of that is even less probable. Honestly I don't like this sort of threads crowning WC and Olympic champions. It just reeks of arrogance. This ain't 2010 anymore where you could just up with 6 triples and you can be crown Olympic champion.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Give it up dear. Last season was her chance and she blew it. Now with 3 super high level competitors the chances of that is even less probable. Honestly I don't like this sort of threads crowning WC and Olympic champions. It just reeks of arrogance. This ain't 2010 anymore where you could just up with 6 triples and you can be crown Olympic champion.

Sure, now its 2019 and in ladies field you don’t even need to do crossovers properly and you can be a world champ [emoji1303]

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
too early. but she definitely has the raw goods of a champion. but I think they all do? At this time, all are deserving and possible champions. It depends on who skates best and cleanest on the day.

Personally, I'd love to see Alyona or Rika on top because they are equally great technically and artistically.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France

She still can make it. Last year she was inconsistent but this year, she seems fine, improving in each competition.
I don’t like to predict who will be the next WC but Alena and Rika are good rivals to claim the title.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I think Sasha is probably the main contender for WC, but I like Aliona more. If they both continue to improve, it's going to be a hell of a competition, their styles are so different.