Is Aliona Kostornaia the next WC? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is Aliona Kostornaia the next WC?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I think Alyona did say she was trying a quad but kept falling, she was much closer with her 3A and it has turned out to be less risky than injuring herself attempting quads

No, she said she wanted to try 4S, but coaches told her to try 3A again instead

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
No, she said she wanted to try 4S, but coaches told her to try 3A again instead

Oh, okay then.

I think she will hold off on trying for a quad for now. Her 3A is impressive, it was much better in the SP this time but I think nerves affected her in the FS. By focusing on perfecting her 3A and getting huge GOE she doesn't necessarily need a quad.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jumps have always been important. It is what makes Figure Skating different. I have been watching Figure skating since before Petty Flemming and those that win are able to do the jumps. First, it was doubles, then triples and since has progressed to Quads. If a skater has mastered the jumps, it is not very difficult to learn the nuances of artistic skating. Even in the 6.0 system, Technical scores counted more than presentation.

I would disagree with this on two grounds. First I believe that artistry is not at all easily learned, or else we would have far more artistic skaters than we do now, or we did then.

Secondly, in the Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, and Toller Cranston :luv17: era, jumps were decidedly not the most important factor. School figures were the most important factor. If you were good at figures, the jumps were not as important.

And to return to the topic, I have no idea who will be the WC. Ice is slippery. :)

Jumps have always been important. It is what makes Figure Skating different.

To me, this is a strange choice of words. Jumps are what make figure skating the same as all other sports.

What makes figure skating different is the performance art aspect.

Joekaz

On the Ice
No it hasn't. Since when?

It used to be that both were scored out of 6.0.

The short or technical program, the technical score weighed higher in a tiebreak
In the short or artistic program it was the opposite.

When I began watching around 1989-1990 the jumps were becoming more and more important, especially triple jumps
And the long program was the deciding program and the presentation score was weighed higher. That's why Kwan was so hard to beat.

And the long program was the deciding program and the presentation score was weighed higher. That's why Kwan was so hard to beat.

Although, what I think the judges actually did in practice was to decide who they thought deserved first place, who they thought deserved second place, etc., and then used the marks (including tie-breakers) to make it come out that way.

For instance, If Fumie Suguri did pretty well as the third to last skater, they could give her 5.8, 5.8., with Kwan and Slutskaya yet to skate.

This left plenty of room to give Kwan 5.8, 5.9 and Slutskaya 5.9, 5.8 if both skated well but the judges leaned toward Kwan.

(If there were 3 or 4 skaters to go after Suguri they might give her 5.7, 5.8 or 5.7, 5.7 instead, just so they would not get boxed in at the end. The rules did not allow judges to give two skaters exactly the same marks.)

Last edited:

Mishaminion

Record Breaker

Michelle was mostly consistent with her jumps too, and when she wasn't she often did not win. We also all know Tara beat her hands down in technical difficulty, which is why she was put 1st in 98, agree with the decision or not...that is the reason.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Michelle was mostly consistent with her jumps too, and when she wasn't she often did not win. We also all know Tara beat her hands down in technical difficulty, which is why she was put 1st in 98, agree with the decision or not...that is the reason.
Which doesn't change the fact that the presenation mark had priority in the long program which was 2/3 of the score to 1/3 for the short. I didn't say technical score wasn't important, but presentation was more important. Anyway, that's the past. I believe skating quality and beauty of the skating should be the major factor, with jumping ability a more minor factor. Its the exact opposite now, which I take it you agree with? Btw, if Michelle would have skated after Tara she would have won, but that's history too.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
If Trusova is able to add a consistent triple axel into her programs by Worlds, I think she'll be the the undisputed champion, simply because of how insurmountable her technical advantage will be. If she doesn't, though, I think Alyona has a real shot at it if she skates cleanly and to the best of her ability.

I don't see Alyona adding a quad this year. Even though she's had a solid success rate with it in competition, based on practice reports from her GPs, I think the triple axel really stresses her out. She cried at all of her practice sessions in both France and Japan when things weren't going well, and based on that, I think it may be best for her mental game if she focuses on just the 3A for now.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Trusova seems to be fearless and she is the Sambo Skater set to induce fear. If she can get through this season without a major injury, she'll likely become WC. But I don't think, that her physical soundness is the top priority for her team or herself. She wants to be the girl with all the big tricks. Why should she give a damn about her crossovers? She's in her own mission. Not very pretty, but I respect it.
Kostornaia ist the classic type of female skater, which we all love. She is easy to love. And she obviously dealt with injuries in the past, that's why I don't think, that she'll add anything new this season.
I think ist says a lot about the coaching team, that both skaters get supported to work their strengths. Although I think that Trusova is the experiment, that somehow worked and they just go with it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Alina certainly has a shot at worlds. Key is landing the 3A in the short and building a lead because if Trusova skates well or Anna in the fs then they technically have the edge in the fs even though Aliona may win on pcs. She also can be beaten as we can tell by NHK by Rika especially if Rika does the 4S.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Kostornaia is a great one without question with her awesome beautiful skating impressive jumps musicality and artistry. Alyiona ask the whole package and it's only getting better. But coming off a stress fracture in one of her legs eight or nine months ago I'm a little surprised she's added the triple axel already and three of them at that. I hope she's not doing too much too soon and her career and that she's ready for 2022. That is the big year for her Anna and Sasha. I just hope they all stay healthy and happy because they're incredible in their own way.

macy

Record Breaker
i think Sasha will continue leading the way to worlds, especially if she adds a 3A in somewhere. but we need to remember she actually has to land all these jumps in competition first. if she doesn't, which she has proved is very possible, it opens the door for skaters like Alena, Rika and Anna. Sasha has also stated 3A is a hard jump for her, and she may have issues with it in competition. as much as i would love to see Alena win worlds, i'm going to reserve judgement until we actually see 1. who makes the team and 2. who lands the jumps

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Which doesn't change the fact that the presenation mark had priority in the long program which was 2/3 of the score to 1/3 for the short. I didn't say technical score wasn't important, but presentation was more important. Anyway, that's the past. I believe skating quality and beauty of the skating should be the major factor, with jumping ability a more minor factor. Its the exact opposite now, which I take it you agree with? Btw, if Michelle would have skated after Tara she would have won, but that's history too.

The presentation mark in the long program only had priority as a tie-breaker. The two marks were otherwise weighted equally.

MedoLove

On the Ice
World Champion? I think no, because Saha's tech arsenal, but possibly FGP champion, yes.

Manitou

Medalist
i think Sasha will continue leading the way to worlds, especially if she adds a 3A in somewhere.

I have a strong suspicion that for Sasha it's a race with time. Her body is due a serious growth very soon and the question is when that's going to happen? How long can she hold it off?

Joekaz

On the Ice
The presentation mark in the long program only had priority as a tie-breaker. The two marks were otherwise weighted equally.
Yes, but that was very important. Many times a skater would be .1 less in tech and .1 more in presentation and that's how they would win.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I have a strong suspicion that for Sasha it's a race with time. Her body is due a serious growth very soon and the question is when that's going to happen? How long can she hold it off?

She has grown from last year, she's not that short either, she's also developed some serious muscle.

I really hope she proves everyone wrong, that she is not a flash in the pan who will lose all her quads and fizzle out quietly.
The same narrative was repeated over and over with Alina, it gets old.
And even if Sasha does lose her advantage, she has paved the way for more like her. There will be other "Sashas" for people to complain about.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She has grown from last year, she's not that short either, she's also developed some serious muscle.

I really hope she proves everyone wrong, that she is not a flash in the pan who will lose all her quads and fizzle out quietly.
The same narrative was repeated over and over with Alina, it gets old.
And even if Sasha does lose her advantage, she has paved the way for more like her. There will be plenty of Sashas for people to complain about.

I could see Sasha having trouble keeping the 4Lz and 4S only because she gets just enough height to complete those at her current size. However, her 4T is huge and she probably would have to make few adjustments to keep that. Her PCS will continue to improve, so she'd still be in good shape with one type of quad. If she's able to learn and keep the 3A, she could be almost unbeatable.