Figure Skating Specials or Professional Championships? | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Specials or Professional Championships?

kwanza

Rinkside
Will there be any figure skating specials this year, such as Holiday Moments on Ice or Love on Ice? How about any Professional Figure Skating Championships?

Has this sport also lost its entertainment appeal?

noskates

Record Breaker
There hasn't been much activity in that arena for a few years. Occasionally you'll see a watered-down airing of Stars on Ice but I can't remember when there was a professional competition. It's been years.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

kwanza

Rinkside

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Will there be any figure skating specials this year, such as Holiday Moments on Ice or Love on Ice? How about any Professional Figure Skating Championships?

Has this sport also lost its entertainment appeal?

Seems like it's going the opposite direction, at least in Russia, where they can't get enough of seeing little kids compete in the Ice Age reality show. Now sure how popular professional shows are in Russia right now though - maybe there is more of that there than there is in the US. And in Japan there are still professional shows, right?

The US Open pro competition is still active: http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=531

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems like it's going the opposite direction, at least in Russia, where they can't get enough of seeing little kids compete in the Ice Age reality show. Now sure how popular professional shows are in Russia right now though - maybe there is more of that there than there is in the US. And in Japan there are still professional shows, right?

The US Open pro competition is still active: http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=531

But when I think of “professional” I guess I am showing my age. I’m not understanding why there needs to be a separate “professional” comp as by default almost everyone skating at an elite level either has sponsors, choreographs, coaches, something. Back in the day any of those activities would make one a professional and thus ineligible to skate in the Olympics, Worlds, Nationals, etc because those were for amateur athletes. So they developed “professional” comps so that those who were no longer amateur eligible but still wanted to compete could do so. I’m not even entirely sure a Gofundme would have been allowed back then.