Awful Arch Pain with Jackson Boots | Golden Skate

Awful Arch Pain with Jackson Boots

danielleadb

Spectator
Hello everyone!

I'm in my late teens, and for most of my childhood I did competitive figure skating. I've always been flat footed, but that was never an issue (I have always worn Jackson boots). When I was 13, I had grown out of my Jackson Freestyle, and so I got a new boot, this time Jackson Finesse. They were fitted to my foot in the store (put in the oven and even had the ankles popped out), and everything seemed perfect. I was skating about 6 times a week at that time, so I had no trouble breaking them in. But from the very beginning, I had this intense pain in my arches after only a few minutes of skating. It was unrelated to breaking them in, and only got worse the more I skated. This has got to be one of the most painful things I have ever experienced, and it's like a brutal cramp that just encompasses the entire inner part of my foot, and only subsides when I take the boots off. It's awful.

I continued to skate for a few months, and the boots were completely broken in, but that arch pain never went away. I frequently left practices in tears, or even left early. This got so bad that I began to dread skating, and I quit.

It has been 5 years and I think about how much I miss skating every single day. For the past 5 years, every winter, I get my hopes up thinking I can skate again. I have tried various insoles, including Superfeet. I have tried cut-out cookies for arch support. Different lacing techniques, tighter laces, looser laces. I've even tried different socks, and putting gels over my arches. Nothing helps, and after precisely 6 minutes of being on the ice today, I was wincing with every stroke.

If anyone has any ideas what this could be, or how to help me, I would be so very thankful. I'm considering buying a new pair of skates (Edea, maybe?), but I'm scared this is a problem that isn't just these boots (although I never had the issue before). Please, if you can, help me. I miss skating so much.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Those boots were too narrow. I’m assuming at the time they were bought in the same width you’d been wearing all along. But even stock boots are finished by hand and subject to irregularities. It’s a shame you skated on them all that time instead of having them rebuilt or exchanged for ones that fit properly. You just have to make sure you’re properly measured and if they don’t fit right, speak up.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone!

I'm in my late teens, and for most of my childhood I did competitive figure skating. I've always been flat footed, but that was never an issue (I have always worn Jackson boots). When I was 13, I had grown out of my Jackson Freestyle, and so I got a new boot, this time Jackson Finesse. They were fitted to my foot in the store (put in the oven and even had the ankles popped out), and everything seemed perfect. I was skating about 6 times a week at that time, so I had no trouble breaking them in. But from the very beginning, I had this intense pain in my arches after only a few minutes of skating. It was unrelated to breaking them in, and only got worse the more I skated. This has got to be one of the most painful things I have ever experienced, and it's like a brutal cramp that just encompasses the entire inner part of my foot, and only subsides when I take the boots off. It's awful.

I continued to skate for a few months, and the boots were completely broken in, but that arch pain never went away. I frequently left practices in tears, or even left early. This got so bad that I began to dread skating, and I quit.

It has been 5 years and I think about how much I miss skating every single day. For the past 5 years, every winter, I get my hopes up thinking I can skate again. I have tried various insoles, including Superfeet. I have tried cut-out cookies for arch support. Different lacing techniques, tighter laces, looser laces. I've even tried different socks, and putting gels over my arches. Nothing helps, and after precisely 6 minutes of being on the ice today, I was wincing with every stroke.

If anyone has any ideas what this could be, or how to help me, I would be so very thankful. I'm considering buying a new pair of skates (Edea, maybe?), but I'm scared this is a problem that isn't just these boots (although I never had the issue before). Please, if you can, help me. I miss skating so much.

Why are you wearing Rec level skates? With how much you skate and that you competed, you should at the least be in a Jackson Debut Fusion, maybe even a Premiere Fusion 2800. Rec skates are being broken down by you way too fast and are not supportive whatsoever. You went down in quality and stiffness of the rec skates too when you went from Freestyle to Finesse. You should also make sure that you are being fit by a figure skating pro fitter and he or she is measuring and taking tracings of your foot so you have the right fit and size for your foot.

You will need a blade with the boots I suggested above, an MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace would do the job.

I feel like Edea is going to cause you problems with the way they fit, you liked your first pair of Jacksons, you just need the right boot and fit of them as I suggested above.

Good luck!

ETA: If you get new boots and the arch pain continues, I would definitely suggest seeing a doctor.