Gladrags... or the Fashion Report 2019 | Golden Skate

Gladrags... or the Fashion Report 2019

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So we've now seen pretty much all of the major players for 2019-20 as the GP series heads into the final, and the all-important question of costumes can be debated.

Because this is gladrags, let's stick to giving out plusses. Up to three in each discipline, who did you think did best in dressing for the ice?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Every single woman from Korea. When the season is over, just send the costumes out on tour. I'd love to see the beadwork and appliques and construction up close.

Madison Chock: Snake Woman? Hollywood Glamourpuss? Or both?

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Well...the Korean ladies are dominating that discipline in costuming, junior and senior...and I can't possibly choose just three :biggrin:

Amei

Record Breaker
Pairs: n/a - haven't watched a lot of pairs this year so not going to make a choice here
Ice Dance: Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV Short dance costumes; Madison Chock FD costume
Men: Han Yan Cup of China costumes
Ladies: Shcherbakova's dress - both dresses are pretty and the 'change' is a nice illustration of the music change. Honorable mention to Zagitova's exhibition dress very elegant

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
For me, it's all about Madison Chock this season. I got to see the "snake dance" on the big TV recently and the way that dress shimmered was just mesmerizing. I want to shake the hands of the people who did the beading. I don't normally get all :love: about costuming but that dress is a work of art. I envy those of you who get to see it live.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Ladies: As WA said above, all our ladies ;)
Men: My darling Junhwan's glorious white lace shirt (NOT the cream/beige one with the flappy fabric), Uno Shoma's SP costume, will have to think about the third
Pairs: Sasha and Mitya (Boikova/Kozlovskii)'s James Bond costumes (esp. Sasha's dress), Sui/Han's SP costumes, Knierims' FS costumes
ID: Madison Chock and her sexy snake dress (Evan Bates, well not as magnificent), F-B/S's FD costumes, Wang/Liu's Chaplin suits (honorable mention to Alexandra Stepanova's fabulous FD ponytail)

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I agree with many of the above posters who listed Madison Chock's dress - It's fantastic!

I also really like Piper and Paul's SD costumes. They're super cute. :)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ice Dance: Ivan B and Alexandra S RD, stunning - love the tail coat! :love:

Lilah Fear's FD dress - So pretty!!

Eunsoo Lim - she always looks lovely. :)

Yuzuru's Purple FS outfit, the sparkle is fab. :clap:

Jean-Luc's Swan Lake costume :biggrin:

Zhenya Med's FS costume.

Alina Z's FS costume.

Piper and Paul's RD costumes, too cuuuuute!

pearly

Record Breaker
The only reason I miss Ice Network is because Sam Donovan used to write his fashion reports there. Those were pure gold.

icetug

Medalist
I’m going to stick to the ladies so let me give my three types in four (invented ad hoc) categories...

Category one:
Eunsoo Lim or A Queen of Fashion
Her return to last season SP made this category possible and I can point out her two SP and FS costumes as the Sèvres standard for ladies’ costumes.

Category two:
Playing a role or it’s the costume, babe
Evgenia Medvedeva FS, Yuhana Yokoi SP and Mariah Bell SP

Category three:
Beauty in Simplicity or a French Corner
Ekaterina Kurakova SP, Serafima Sakhanovich FS and Satoko Miyahara EX

Category four:
She looks pretty in everything but in this dress she looks just gorgeous
Valentina Matos SP, Emmi Peltonen SP and Anastasia Tarakanova FS.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The only reason I miss Ice Network is because Sam Donovan used to write his fashion reports there. Those were pure gold.

Designer Nick Verreos does a write up on costumes after every Grand Prix event in the Ice Style section of his blog here:
https://nickverrreos.blogspot.com/search/label/Ice Style

An example: Idf Dance & Pairs

https://nickverrreos.blogspot.com/2019/11/ice-styleinternationaux-de-france-2019_7.html

I particularly like his Look that inspired the Look photos; lots of fun there.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Designer Nick Verreos does a write up on costumes after every Grand Prix event in the Ice Style section of his blog here:
https://nickverrreos.blogspot.com/search/label/Ice Style

An example: Idf Dance & Pairs

https://nickverrreos.blogspot.com/2019/11/ice-styleinternationaux-de-france-2019_7.html

I particularly like his Look that inspired the Look photos; lots of fun there.

As a longgggggg time Project Runway junkie, I love Uncle Nick. Thank you for the reminder link. I haven't read him yet this season, so I'm looking forward to that. :)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I love Soucisse/Firus' look in the RD, along with many others that have already been mentioned.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
To balance out the elegance of the Korean Ladies, I nominate the brilliant—but not at all elegant—RD costumes of Popova & Mozgov.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Madison Chock's FD dress definitely.

I also love Karen Chen's SP dress, Kaitlyn Hawayek's FD Dress.

Roman Sadovsky's FS costume.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Evgenia's SP costume. I love it! It's different and bold but she looks amazing in it.

Alina's LP costume. Absolutely superb. She's so much more than her looks but dang it she's divine in that costume.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
For Men:
Yuzuru LP Purple Gothic Drama
Shoma LP Black sky, starry galaxy
Jason SP How to do simple right.

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Agree on Korean ladies always being well-dressed. What can you expect, The Queen on Ice was also queen of fashion. ;)

I will add:
Evgenia's LP dress
Kaori's Matrix dress
Satoko's SP dress
Rika's LP dress (both versions)

and Yuzuru always tries to outbling the girls

I would put Sasha's LP dress but lose the blue tights pls. Danaerys' blue dress is awesome as it is :)

klena

On the Ice
Cleopatra's dress (Alina Zagitova)

Snake woman's dress (Madison Chock)

James Bond's costumes ( Boikova/Kozlovsky)

Perfumer's dress (Anna Shcherbakova)

Daenerys's dress (Sasha Trusova)