Strengthening your weaker side | Golden Skate

Strengthening your weaker side

Ducky

On the Ice
Does anyone have any tips for strengthening your bad side? For instance, my right inside and left outside three turns not only feel more shaky than my left inside/right outside but the edges they're on aren't as big. Are there exercises I could be doing to even them out besides doing three turns in that particular direction?

thanks!

Silver Ice

On the Ice
How are your edges in general? The better your edges are and the more comfortable you are on your edges and your posture and position on the blade, the stronger your turns will be.

Other than that, do them over and over again, and eventually you’ll feel less shaky and they’ll get bigger. It took me months to get my left inside three turn the same size and fluid ness of my right inside three turn.

If you have one of those spinners, you can practice turns on them, or you can do rpthem on the floor. It won’t help with the edges but it can help with proper posture and checking.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Agreed about strengthening edges in general.

I'm not sure what your level is, but a rather extreme way I've strengthened my weaker side is by doing clockwise waltz jumps (I'm a counterclockwise jumper). Definitely not recommended until you're very comfortable with jumping, though.

Ducky

On the Ice
How are your edges in general? The better your edges are and the more comfortable you are on your edges and your posture and position on the blade, the stronger your turns will be.

Other than that, do them over and over again, and eventually you’ll feel less shaky and they’ll get bigger. It took me months to get my left inside three turn the same size and fluid ness of my right inside three turn.

If you have one of those spinners, you can practice turns on them, or you can do rpthem on the floor. It won’t help with the edges but it can help with proper posture and checking.

Thanks! My edges themselves (their selves?) are actually pretty good. I spend way too much time doing figure eights... Guess I'll just have to practice practice practice.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Thanks! My edges themselves (their selves?) are actually pretty good. I spend way too much time doing figure eights... Guess I'll just have to practice practice practice.

I force myself to do more repetitions on my "other side" when I practice.