WADA Compliance Review Committee / RUSADA | Page 13 | Golden Skate

WADA Compliance Review Committee / RUSADA

LadyB

Record Breaker
Maybe this is new information that was revealed this year then, because I distinctly remember watching an interview with Stepanova/Bukin last season before one of their competitions where they were saying they still did not have the faintest idea as to why they were banned. Competing at the Olympics was their goal and biggest dream and so just simply "not being invited" without being given any reason why was/is perhaps the most painful thing about the whole ordeal. They didn't even know what allegations they were fighting against. If they'd been given a reason, maybe they could have done something to prove their innocence, but at least to my knowledge they don't know to this day why they weren't invited. Definitely feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, because I'd love to know the reason myself.

Like I said, this is only what I've read during or short after the Olympics. I don't know, and sadly never will, what really happened and who said what for what reason. Just wanted to relay that piece of info, whether it be true or not.

Tbh, I don't care either, cause like I said, even if that was true, it is utter rubbish.
I'm just eternally furious about WADA's and the IOC's decision last year and the same goes for now. I wish I had the money to go to one of the mega events to support any Russian athletes participating.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
They can swallow paying all WADA's costs, although it is not logical. Russia did not order this investigation and did not control the expenditures. If WADA hired private jets, payed $1000 an hour to "experts", included into the bill restaurants and 5 star hotels, why should Russia pay for that? OK, costs is not the main thing.
thats the most ridic thing of all. "We will humiliate you for your own money":laugh: & This 'fight with doping' with 'the enemy' they can milk it for the years to come! they have the aim & they have the work & the salary just in 1 place!
(srsly speaking though poor sportsmen suffering those games of politics:bang:)

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
I seem to remember (but I cannot prove it anymore) that the official reason for not inviting (not banning) Ivan Bukin and Ksenia Stolbova was in Ivan's case that he needs to take medication for a chronic condition affecting his ears/sinus, which is not on the doping list per se, but they said they needed to be absolutely sure that somebody is 100% clean, which they said they weren't in his case.

I remember this floating around as fan speculation in 2018 that this might be a reason he was not invited, but I’ve never seen anything indicating this was given as an official explanation.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I remember this floating around as fan speculation in 2018 that this might be a reason he was not invited, but I’ve never seen anything indicating this was given as an official explanation.

As I said before, I read that at the time, but I’ve lost all the details about it.
Again: Whatever reason they would have given, give or will give to exclude Ivan and Ksenia, I wouldn’t believe one single word of it, as I don’t think they’d ever fallen foul of anything.
So, it doesn’t matter what was or wasn’t said.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
As I said before, I read that at the time, but I’ve lost all the details about it.
Again: Whatever reason they would have given, give or will give to exclude Ivan and Ksenia, I wouldn’t believe one single word of it, as I don’t think they’d ever fallen foul of anything.
So, it doesn’t matter what was or wasn’t said.

I've read a similar thing too (something to do with medication which was no secret to anybody), but I agree totally. And why would quite a few OC's undersign his letter to the IOC if they didn't think so too? Most athletes hate cheaters, and I should think OC'ers would be even more opposed to that, and they were all in favour of Ivan. I know and agree it doesn't matter what was said, but it still must have been awful for him (and his partner too).

LadyB

Record Breaker
And why would quite a few OC's undersign his letter to the IOC if they didn't think so too? Most athletes hate cheaters, and I should think OC'ers would be even more opposed to that, and they were all in favour of Ivan.

That! :agree:

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
Russian boxers refused to go to the Olympics in Tokyo without a national flag. This was reported to "Star" by the General Secretary of the Boxing Federation of the Russian Federation Umar Kremlev.

“This is the position of the athletes - they do not want to go. (They say) if we don’t have our flag and anthem, we’d better go to professional boxing. (Just) for the sake of medals, why go? ”He said.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
New twist.
WADA will appeal to ban all Russian athletes from competing at all major competitions, since flag seems like to light of a punishment.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
New twist.
WADA will appeal to ban all Russian athletes from competing at all major competitions, since flag seems like to light of a punishment.

Not WADA, but athletes committee or something like that.

p.s respect to boxers.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
WADA trying to appeal decision would be extremely illogical,decision was made by WADA itself.

According to Telegraph Athletes committee inside WADA is planning to go to CAS to launch counter appeal, fearing that Russia will win appeal against WADA (athletes committee was for blanket ban from beginning)

In other news, several American sport stars are planning to show protest at 2020 Olympics against Russian athletes,either by refusing to stand alongside Russian medalists or showing special gestures. Some Russian needs to win a medal in 100 or 200m sprint, world needs to see Justin Gatlin protesting against doping :biggrin:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
WADA trying to appeal decision would be extremely illogical,decision was made by WADA itself.

According to Telegraph Athletes committee inside WADA is planning to go to CAS to launch counter appeal, fearing that Russia will win appeal against WADA (athletes committee was for blanket ban from beginning)

In other news, several American sport stars are planning to show protest at 2020 Olympics against Russian athletes,either by refusing to stand alongside Russian medalists or showing special gestures. Some Russian needs to win a medal in 100 or 200m sprint, world needs to see Justin Gatlin protesting against doping :biggrin:

And your citation for the "planned" American protest is what?

We have enough rumors in the world. Truth would be a nice change of pace. With evidence to back it up.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thank you for the citation. I'm just fed up with UNFOUNDED rumorus. I may start making up some of my own.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In other news, several American sport stars are planning to show protest at 2020 Olympics against Russian athletes,either by refusing to stand alongside Russian medalists or showing special gestures.

I really hope not. I was so annoyed during Rio the way we had people like Lily King representing us and acting in such a way toward fellow athletes. I know Lily was only 19 and acting on emotion and had a history of rage like behavior during her whole career but I just found it so distasteful. Imo she acted like a bully. Splashing at an opponent and openly disrespecting them. I would find a podium snub equally as disrespectful TBH.

Lota

Record Breaker

This is just sad for me. I can somewhat understand why politicians and officials might want to support a blanket ban - they either have their own agenda or want to punish and/or make an example of Russia for violations regarding doping. BUT, how can athletes support this?? Many of them train/compete/generally interact all the time with Russian competitors who have nothing to do with doping. People who truly do use doping need to be punished, but how can other athletes who know how much work, dedication and sacrifice sport takes support a blanket ban or show general distaste towards athletes who have nothing to do with doping? It's mind-boggling to me :scowl:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
In fact, an athlete who is clean from a country that allegedly pushes doping through the state run system, making the performance enhancing drugs available and offering a chance of cover up, should be respected for integrity not disrespected. ‘Everyone cheats’ is a powerful herd mentality, so standing up to it is a good thing.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This is just sad for me. I can somewhat understand why politicians and officials might want to support a blanket ban - they either have their own agenda or want to punish and/or make an example of Russia for violations regarding doping. BUT, how can athletes support this?? Many of them train/compete/generally interact all the time with Russian competitors who have nothing to do with doping. People who truly do use doping need to be punished, but how can other athletes who know how much work, dedication and sacrifice sport takes support a blanket ban or show general distaste towards athletes who have nothing to do with doping? It's mind-boggling to me :scowl:

Because they don't trust the Russian athletes to be clean. They were told in the past that the Russian athletes were clean and passed their tests, and then it turned out there was this huge doping scheme going on. And based on Russia's reaction, they don't trust that things will have changed without the harshest punishment.

I remember some athlete saying before the 2018 Games, that they of course want to believe the Russian athletes who would be there were clean, but after everything that happened there's that little doubt in your mind and that it would be difficult for athletes who finished behind a Russian competitor on the podium or in 4th to not wonder. And wouldn't that be an awful thing to have to think about?

When that Russian curler got caught doping, one of the Canadian curlers was asked whether they were surprised (since curling isn't that known for doping) and his response was more or less 'well no, not with everything we've heard about the Russians and doping in the last few years'.

I'm not saying I agree necessarily, but it makes perfect sense that the athletes would feel the most strongly about this. Clean athletes are the ones who suffer the most from doping.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Regarding to that Curling thing... 'doping' used was meldonium, whose inclusion into banned drug list was very controversial to being with and has little to zero performance enhancing effects, especially in curling.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Yeah, doping for in curling should be the real embarrasement for Russia, not the lack of flag or anthem.

Meldionum is banned now, do not take it. What is so hard for Russians to understand?

thedude

On the Ice

Thank you for the citation. I'm just fed up with UNFOUNDED rumorus. I may start making up some of my own.

Your first instinct to be dubious was right. For those of you who are aren't familiar with Daily Mail, it's a tabloid newspaper similar to the National Enquirer. Just a look at the homepage of the website, it's focus is on celebrities or bombastic headlines. That doesn't necessarily make the article about the protest untrue, but I wouldn't cite the daily mail as a primary source. It's not exactly known for it's Pulitzer reporting.

The article itself uses vague terms like "some", " a number of". The USA team is one of the largest teams at the Olympics. Finding someone to give you a juicy quote wouldn't be that hard. That's assuming the reporter even got the quote from an athlete. Notice how the article doesn't even mention how they "learned" of the protest. Did they talk or interview anyone? I didn't read quotes from any athlete. So the the athletes are willing to protest in front of the world on one of the world's biggest stage but are not willing to provide their name to the reporter. There's no need to be anonymous if you going protest on the podium
There's a world of difference in reporting when using the the word "some" and "learned about" vs quoting a direct source.

Lastly, let's not make this into the USA is the only country opposed to Russian participation. WADA and the IOC are both international committees. It was unanimous vote to ban Russia. If you want to peddle conspiracy theories about the USA being puppet masters and the world is full of Russophobia, go ahead.