WADA Compliance Review Committee / RUSADA | Golden Skate

WADA Compliance Review Committee / RUSADA

pearly

Record Breaker
From the Official site: WADA Compliance Review Committee recommends series of strong consequences for RUSADA non-compliance

WADA Executive Committee to consider recommendation and proposed consequences on 9 December

Having considered a report from the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA’s) Intelligence and Investigations Department (I&I) and independent forensic experts, WADA’s independent Compliance Review Committee (CRC) has recommended to WADA’s Executive Committee (ExCo) that the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) be declared non-compliant with the World Anti-Doping Code (Code), as announced by WADA on 22 November 2019. This recommendation is accompanied by strong proposed consequences and conditions of reinstatement.

NY Times

A key World Anti-Doping Agency committee has recommended Russia face a four-year ban from global sports after investigators discovered that Russian officials had erased failed doping tests from a database submitted to antidoping regulators. The recommendations, if approved, would result in Russian athletes and teams barred not only from next year’s Tokyo Olympics but from a series of other major sports competitions.

Under the recommendations, Russian athletes would compete at a second straight Olympic Games in neutral uniforms and collect any medals they win without the raising of the nation’s flag or the playing of its anthem.

WADA confirmed the recommendations in a statement released on Monday afternoon. “This recommendation is accompanied by strong proposed consequences and conditions of reinstatement,” it said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
All the more incentive for FFKKR to stay clean and far away from any accusations. Which means the athletes and officials will need to be very careful in medicinal practice of course. But also in speech, writing and especially social media. So as not to arise any suspicion. Even 'chocolate doping' is no laughing matter anymore, Shabotova was expelled for it.

With figure skating being such a key sport for Russia in the Winter Olympics and the real possibility any ISU sanctioned event might be affected by the proposed blanket ban, staying clean and pure in body and mind is of the upmost importance.

On a side note, a blanket ban might influence the Ministry of Youth and Sports financing the state sports schools for children and youths, which will have even more far reaching consequences for the future.

Poor athletes indeed ...

... and some other governing bodies and even some figure skating federations might chuckle in malicious glee.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
TASS resume here: https://tass.ru/sport/7197517

First reactions as expected:

“In my memory, there were no tougher sanctions against any country, I don’t know why they were so tough on Russia. They seemed to understand that Russia’s answers might not be fully satisfied. Recommendations for the WADA Executive Committee - desire to infringe on the rights of our country. Any subsequent decision by WADA will need to be challenged in the courts, " Svishchev said.

“If officials or leaders of the federations do not go to competitions, nothing will happen to them. However, if an athlete is removed from competition, (...) forbidden to hold competitions in our country and compete under the flag of Russia, this is a serious punishment. Moreover, it is unreasonable.”
-----

BlackAxel

Final Flight
All the more incentive for FFKKR to stay clean and far away from any accusations. Which means the athletes and officials will need to be very careful in medicinal practice of course. But also in speech, writing and especially social media. So as not to arise any suspicion. Even 'chocolate doping' is no laughing matter anymore.

With figure skating being such a key sport for Russia in the Winter Olympics and the real possibility any ISU sanctioned event might be affected by the proposed blanket ban, staying clean and pure in body and mind is of the upmost importance.

On a side note, a blanket ban might influence the Ministry of Youth and Sports financing the state sports schools for children and youths, which will have even more far reaching consequences for the future.

Poor athletes indeed ...

... and some other governing bodies and even some figure skating federations might chuckle in malicious pleasure.

Well it only seems fitting that the other figure skating federations give the same energy as the 2014 Olympics Sochi audience.

Manitou

Medalist
If the athletes are allowed to participate in the Olympics as "independent" then how does the "3-per country" rule apply to them?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
If the athletes are allowed to participate in the Olympics as "independent" then how does the "3-per country" rule apply to them?

Probably just the same, they keep their Russian nationality.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Well, the previous "punishment" obviously didn't work. What makes WADA think the same type of ban will result in anything different?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Good lord, I don’t think the figure skating would be the same without the Russians

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Might just be time for a good old-fashioned all-sports boycott in solidarity with all those athletes around the world whose honest practice was delegitimised, whose results were impacted, whose livelihoods were compromised and whose opportunities were constrained by persons determined to bring their country, their institutions and their sports into disrepute over...a medal tally.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's a tough situation. You never want to punish the individual athletes if they've done nothing wrong, especially figure skaters who have a very small window of time that they can perform at their peak ability level. However, no sanctions in the past have worked to stop this type of behavior.

I'm not sure how penalties could work in other sports. If it needed to be applied to skaters, maybe they could enforce a partial-season ban that would prevent skaters from participating in the Senior B and GP season. That would be a real punishment but still allow athletes to participate in legacy-defining events like Euros, Worlds, and the Olympics.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
They want to ban EVERY Russian athlete from EVERY sporting event for FOUR years? I know there has to be a punishment, but dang. How would Russian sports come back from that.

century2009

On the Ice
The few has ruined it for all. It is unfortunate but they have tried with Russia and it looks like it hasnt work. And Russia has been play very very dirty.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Might just be time for a good old-fashioned all-sports boycott in solidarity with all those athletes around the world whose honest practice was delegitimised, whose results were impacted, whose livelihoods were compromised and whose opportunities were constrained by persons determined to bring their country, their institutions and their sports into disrepute over...a medal tally.

Fortunately the CAS cases, that the Russian athletes won, made clear this nonsense is not possible.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I disagree with the proposed penalty.

This will punish athletes that are not at a fault alongside those that are, and that will only make Russian government stronger among its people because they will immediately use that to prove that the rest of the world hate Russia, they blame russians for things that shouldn't be blamed, spreading hatred towards the West, etc. Which is already what they are saying there in case you don't know.

Are we cold war again?

Yes i believe there was (is?) state doping and the main responsibles should pay for that (like Vitaly Mutko for instance), not the athletes, at least let them compete independently.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I disagree with the proposed penalty.

This will punish athletes that are not at a fault alongside those that are, and that will only make Russian government stronger among its people because they will immediately use that to prove that the rest of the world hate Russia, they blame russians for things that shouldn't be blamed, spreading hatred towards the West, etc. Which is already what they are saying there in case you don't know.

Are we cold war again?

Yes i believe there was (is?) state doping and the main responsibles should pay for that (like Vitaly Mutko for instance), not the athletes, at least let them compete independently.

And how do you propose to let these "independent athletes" compete and who is going to administer and pay for the drug testing?

Righteous indignation may feel good, but it doesn't pay for ensuring that Olympic sports and athletes are clean. Not when you put a fox in charge of the hen house.

NaVi

Medalist
They want to ban EVERY Russian athlete from EVERY sporting event for FOUR years? I know there has to be a punishment, but dang. How would Russian sports come back from that.

No... ban them from performing under a Russian flag and banning Russia from hosting events.

The ISU will fight it because they want the money... Russia is one of their few hot markets for figure skating... look at how they have cowed to China after the Chinese threw a hissy fit. I forgot what that initial issue was all about(may have started in speed skating), but notice after the Chinese paid the danegeld via the Shanghai Trophy that Taiwan was told they couldn't host an event. Pretty scummy thing to do and it was all over money.

I was extremely positive last time that Rostelecom Cup wouldn't be moved when others were saying that would happen... but I'm less sure this time though I lean slightly towards it not moving from Russia.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Have any Russian figure skaters been proven to be involved in doping? Can they prove these database deletions and such are from AFTER Pyeongchang? If not, they should back off, at least back off figure skating.

...Zhenya, ready your speech-writing skills again. :palmf: